Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: How many of you shoot in raw most of the time?

  1. #1

    Default How many of you shoot in raw most of the time?

    raw very good for post editing. How many shoot a lot in raw format?

  2. #2
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default Re: How many of you shoot in raw most of the time?

    Dangerous... accidents can happen...

    Anyway, when I had my D100 and D70, I shoot in RAW format exclusively only. Even if travelling.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Astin Studio
    Posts
    4,736

    Default Re: How many of you shoot in raw most of the time?

    Nowadays computers and memory cards are much cheaper, more ppl should shoot in raw, nothing to worry anymore.

  4. #4

    Default Re: How many of you shoot in raw most of the time?

    Agree, i shoot in RAW almost 90% unless really no more memory.

  5. #5
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default Re: How many of you shoot in raw most of the time?

    Quote Originally Posted by fatjp
    Agree, i shoot in RAW almost 90% unless really no more memory.
    Memory is cheap, can always buy portable storage

  6. #6
    Member Andy Ho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    389

    Default Re: How many of you shoot in raw most of the time?

    I think shooting in RAW is not only about memory usage. It is about whether you have the time to do post processing. Many photographers forgot the fact that it takes a lot longer to process a RAW file than Jpeg files. Although I shoot RAW most of the time, I still switch back to Jpeg whenever I know that there is going to be a lot of pictures at the end of the day, for example an event or conference shoots.

    If you are not confident in shooting Jpeg only then another alternative is to set your camera to shoot both RAW and Jpegs simultaneously. If the Jpeg is ok then trash the RAW. If not, you still have something to fall back on.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Bukit Panjang
    Posts
    855

    Default Re: How many of you shoot in raw most of the time?

    or with the 20D, black and white JPEG and "colour" RAW together.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Astin Studio
    Posts
    4,736

    Default Re: How many of you shoot in raw most of the time?

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ho
    I think shooting in RAW is not only about memory usage. It is about whether you have the time to do post processing. Many photographers forgot the fact that it takes a lot longer to process a RAW file than Jpeg files. Although I shoot RAW most of the time, I still switch back to Jpeg whenever I know that there is going to be a lot of pictures at the end of the day, for example an event or conference shoots.

    If you are not confident in shooting Jpeg only then another alternative is to set your camera to shoot both RAW and Jpegs simultaneously. If the Jpeg is ok then trash the RAW. If not, you still have something to fall back on.
    Actually, would it be better to shoot in RAW only, if really need to process in JPEG, then use Nikon Capture Editor to batch convert to JPEG, my estimate is about 5-10sec for each JPEG conversion.

  9. #9
    Member Andy Ho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    389

    Default Re: How many of you shoot in raw most of the time?

    Quote Originally Posted by Astin
    Actually, would it be better to shoot in RAW only, if really need to process in JPEG, then use Nikon Capture Editor to batch convert to JPEG, my estimate is about 5-10sec for each JPEG conversion.
    That is what I do but like me, if you are using D2X, you would probably be cursing and swearing if you have like 300 files in a day on NEF to convert to Jpegs

  10. #10
    Member Andy Ho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    389

    Default Re: How many of you shoot in raw most of the time?

    Quote Originally Posted by speedblade
    or with the 20D, black and white JPEG and "colour" RAW together.
    And why would you want to shoot in B&W jpegs?

  11. #11

    Default Re: How many of you shoot in raw most of the time?

    I shoot RAW 99% of time, the rest 1% is RAW+JPEG when i must immediately give someone those pics. I shoot RAW mainly because of freedom in manipulation and feeling free about WB

  12. #12
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default Re: How many of you shoot in raw most of the time?

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ho
    That is what I do but like me, if you are using D2X, you would probably be cursing and swearing if you have like 300 files in a day on NEF to convert to Jpegs
    Been there, done that, have tried 700 files in a day. I'm still alive

  13. #13

    Default Re: How many of you shoot in raw most of the time?

    i almost always shoot raw. processing hundreds of files? time-consuming yes but the key to minimizing this is automation. 300 files probably takes my mac a couple of hours to batch process and convert to jpg. and i can still surf and email while this goes on.

  14. #14

    Default Re: How many of you shoot in raw most of the time?

    I also shoot RAW. I have more control over the shots I take. Takes a bit more time but results are worth it.
    The Art of Flying - Aviation Art Prints for sale
    http://TheArtofFlying.wordpress.com/

  15. #15
    Member Andy Ho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    389

    Default Re: How many of you shoot in raw most of the time?

    Quote Originally Posted by madmacs
    i almost always shoot raw. processing hundreds of files? time-consuming yes but the key to minimizing this is automation. 300 files probably takes my mac a couple of hours to batch process and convert to jpg. and i can still surf and email while this goes on.
    Hey you can do that? I mean I am not good with computers although I can use them well but I dare not do any other things when doing batch processing fearing that it will cause my system to crash or interrupt the conversion process. Should try. Thanks for the pointers

  16. #16
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: How many of you shoot in raw most of the time?

    I only use raw for landscapes, everything else is jpeg.

    automation + raw = lppl

  17. #17

    Default Re: How many of you shoot in raw most of the time?

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ho
    Hey you can do that? I mean I am not good with computers although I can use them well but I dare not do any other things when doing batch processing fearing that it will cause my system to crash or interrupt the conversion process. Should try. Thanks for the pointers
    hehe...the joys of dual proc

  18. #18

    Default Re: How many of you shoot in raw most of the time?

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega
    I only use raw for landscapes, everything else is jpeg.

    automation + raw = lppl
    lppl meh?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •