Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: camera for a total newbie

Default Re: camera for a total newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Hoky
    Before you invest in a DSLR, always consider the accessories to go with.
    It is not a one time investment that will give you excellent shots at multiple ranges, as the kit lens is only 18-55mm which equals a 3x magnification only.
    In addition, the color output and sharpness from the kit lens would not be as good as the prosumer ranges in the market nowadays.

Other than the camera kit, you have to consider other stuff like dry cabinet, filters, additional lens, lens pen, blower, bag.... etc.

Unless you have lots to spare and can allow the DSLR to be utilized like a point and shoot, it will be wiser to get a prosumer instead.

Just my 20 cents.
    Are you saying the lens of a prosumer digitcam is better than the kit lens of a entry level DSLR?

May I know in term of what kind of comparsion?

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    Are you saying the lens of a prosumer digitcam is better than the kit lens of a entry level DSLR?

May I know in term of what kind of comparsion?
    First of all, just in case that you think that the kit lens is crappy.
    Just want to let you know that it is a great lens for it's price (Hey its free, so cannot complain). However many of the CSers (including me) have felt that the color is 'dull' and the sharpness pales to many mid range to high end lenses.

The point and shoot as well as prosumer cameras typically have more saturated colors when in comparison to this lens. I have seen the performance of the S2 IS and the sony DSC-H1. Frankly speaking, I am very impressed. You would have to spend at least 2.5k and above to meet that type of range and sharpness using a 350D. It's not juz about the photography in this case; the equipment for the 18-55mm strictly limits my usage. Just compare, if you would to get a F2.8 lens IS lens of that kinda 'zoom' of a DSLR, it would cost you easily 1K and above.

On the other hand, I still have to give the DSLRs credit for ability to change lens and fast focusing. So when you are richer, you can 'upgrade' to better (costlier) lens and take different kind of pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoky
    However many of the CSers (including me) have felt that the color is 'dull' and the sharpness pales to many mid range to high end lenses.

The point and shoot as well as prosumer cameras typically have more saturated colors when in comparison to this lens.
    Both saturation and sharpness can be adjusted in-cam or through photoshop for that matter.

What makes the more saturated color on digitcam is the about the camera itself (the way camera process the images), nothing much about the lens, same as a DSLR.

The reason is this digitcam are making for a general consumers which prefer the pictures can use straight out from the box.

Likewise the images that DSLR produced are leaving more room for postproduction.

You putting cause of the mute, low contract images produce by the kit lens compare to the lens of digicam is injustice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12