Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: saving the earth?

Default saving the earth?

A lot will tell people on saving earth but in reality, they themselves also drive to work, use resources etc. So, if whole world every week one day no traffic and must off light by 2200, except lorry for goods delivery, will people fine with it? All go by public transport, any vehicle out on that day will be tax 10X! But that wouldn't happen and thus, saving planet earth just say say only.
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

Default Re: saving the earth?

Quote Originally Posted by BBTM View Post
    A lot will tell people on saving earth but in reality, they themselves also drive to work, use resources etc. So, if whole world every week one day no traffic and must off light by 2200, except lorry for goods delivery, will people fine with it? All go by public transport, any vehicle out on that day will be tax 10X! But that wouldn't happen and thus, saving planet earth just say say only.
    I'm all for one day every week no work so that we all stay at home and don't have to drive to work to save the world.

Is this your version of a joke? People will probably reach the office just in time for lunch and reach home just before supper.....

[moderator mode OFF]lol[moderator mode ON]

the public transport system can't handle this.

Whoever suggested this, can kiss his/her political career goodbye.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

As long as everybody keep to the norm, nothing will change.
    Depletion of resources and carbon emissions is like smoking+cancer.
    Everyone thinks its fine until the day they know its not.
    When they hand over a planet with worse conditions to their children, that is the ultimate reward for this sort of thinking.

Since any change in norm established now will be considered not normal, and in-convenient.
    In fact, its exactly in this type of semi-autocratic state like Singapore than it is easier to implement/try changes.

Some schemes :
    1. Pricey fuel and cars - Already practiced here
    2. Car permit to enter CBD (practiced in some countries to tackle jams and pollution)- but perhaps ERP (with tweaks for the needy) is a good compromise.
    3. Cycling to work with support for marked bike lane that is shared with traffic, shower facilities and bike parking - only feasible for 5-8km for most people.
    4. Electric scooter/bike to work as #3 - this is a new paradigm shift in personal transport - again only feasible for 5-12km generally.
    5. Reduce pavement lamp use - I even see pavement lamp for cycling track when it can well use the spill from the road lamp.
    6. Reduce or timed turn off of lamps in some spaces - parks, lonely stretches of pavement/park connectors, etc (these see very little traffic by a certain time, often benefit from light spill from other sources and anyone venturing beyond turn off/ reduce times will know that they are doing so anyway)
    7. Reduce HDB lighting after certain hours (eg. alt lamps) - perhaps auto-on more if sensor detects person;
    Last edited by pinholecam; 6th November 2015 at 06:23 AM.

I have a better suggestion to save the earth: All walk to work and back one day a week.

I read that a bean curb seller in China walked 3 hours each way from his village to a town everyday to sell his products.

The energy to light up buildings are just a fractions of what we use to airconditioned buildings. The sad part is we wear sweater/jacket because it is too cold.

Resources are wasted not due to usage but wastage. Today peoe drive bigger cars and waste food. Not to mention the concept of disposable products. We also do repair but replace appliances.

All these happen when we move from 3rd to 1st world. What goes up will have to come down one day.

I posted this cause a lot of news on ice melting, dry land etc. But in reality, they will drive to everywhere, esp at bigger countries. Earth hour just for wayang, want to save, put in more effort. I some time walk back from office, about 7km. I also recycle plastic bag whenever can. Most important, will try to finish whatever I order as every single gain of rice is hardwork. Just hope the earth survive for another million years.

You all talk like small primary school kids and think that the world is like Singapore, small and very organised.

Try telling yr naive ideas to big countries to walk to office lah.

Quote Originally Posted by donut88 View Post
    You all talk like small primary school kids and think that the world is like Singapore, small and very organised.

If 3 hours walk cannot reach office walk 3 days also can what.

The mother earth is worth saving.

Find a job that you can work from home, so you can eat at home, save the transport, if you work in your underwear, do you know how much electricity you can save?

Mother Earth take care of herself I promise.

You be like Mother Earth and worry about saving yourself. Do what you do. Try to spread message I guess.

Gratitude
    Expand your mind or get left behind

Quote Originally Posted by Bukitimah View Post
    The energy to light up buildings are just a fractions of what we use to airconditioned buildings. The sad part is we wear sweater/jacket because it is too cold.

Resources are wasted not due to usage but wastage. Today peoe drive bigger cars and waste food. Not to mention the concept of disposable products. We also do repair but replace appliances.

All these happen when we move from 3rd to 1st world. What goes up will have to come down one day.
    The air con is actually for the servers and computers.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    ... if you work in your underwear, do you know how much electricity you can save?
    You may waste more energy if you work in underwear as there are so many juicy stuffs on the net.

Better have trousers on.

Quote Originally Posted by donut88 View Post

I have walked 5 miles to work and 5 miles back many many times...I like to do crap like that...make snaps along way! That is living brah...
    Last edited by Nikonzen; 6th November 2015 at 10:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    Find a job that you can work from home, so you can eat at home, save the transport, if you work in your underwear, do you know how much electricity you can save?
    I hardly on air con at night unless too tired n need the coldness to sleeps well.

About the walking. Cause every one don't want to stays in city in big country. All stay outskirts and drive back to city. That's why some business need to move out of the city but not much willing to do so. That's why some prefer work at home if can. Even down here, I also not willing to work in city areas. So stress plus my salary sure very low. Heh heh!

I hardly on air con at night unless too tired n need the coldness to sleeps well.

About the walking. Cause every one don't want to stays in city in big country. All stay outskirts and drive back to city. That's why some business need to move out of the city but not much willing to do so. That's why some prefer work at home if can. Even down here, I also not willing to work in city areas. So stress plus my salary sure very low. Heh heh!
    When we do what is right and good for us and we have adapted and conformed and are good people/citizens/orang whatever then we can be happy and really that is probably the best way to feel in the grand scheme of things. My opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikonzen View Post

When we do what is right and good for us and we have adapted and conformed and are good people/citizens/orang whatever then we can be happy and really that is probably the best way to feel in the grand scheme of things. My opinion.
    That's why faster go oversea to see the view before gone. But still need $ for it.

That's why faster go oversea to see the view before gone. But still need $ for it.
    We see what we see...and say what we say
    Last edited by Nikonzen; 6th November 2015 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post

If 3 hours walk cannot reach office walk 3 days also can what.

The mother earth is worth saving.
    Ok. How far can u walk in 3 days? I estimate u can probably walk until Malacca? Show me u can do it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast