Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UV Filters

Default Re: UV Filters

Any kind of glass/plastic element put in front or behind the camera lens would affect the quality. The only thing is how large is the degradation and whether it is noticable in our daily usage. Many photographers would actually advise you to get at least a multi-coated UV filter. Personally, I would avoid Hoya non-coated ones. And Hoya multi-coated ones are tough to clean but heard that their professional series are better. I would rather get B+W or Nikon ones.

And it's not only about UV rays etc. The filter actually serves to protect the lens front element against accidental touch, knocks, drops etc. Accidental finger prints still can be found on lens using lens hood. But the filter would actually stop any possibility of finger prints on the front element, provided the filter is never removed.

I always use Hoya HMC filters. Reasonably priced and performs well enough for me.

The only gripe is it is hard to clean. But for the amateur, how often do you need to clean? Once a month, every 6 months or so.

This is how I clean it - put a drop of water on an ordinary tissue paper and wipe it. So far, I haven't got any problem cleaning it. After all, it is a disposable item, if it ever get scratched, cracked or soiled beyond cleaning.
    I love big car, big house, big lenses, but small apertures.

My stand on filters:
    Use the best or don't use at all. Cheap filters only degrade your image quality, so save up to get a good filter (B+W or Nikon)
    eat. drink. shoot

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12