Thread: How good is your lens coating

Default How good is your lens coating

Just wonder. Can any experts out there care to share how to see whether a lens coating is good/bad or average? Heard that if there's something like purple coating is the best like most of the Leica lenses. Is that true? Thanks in advance for sharing.

Default Re: How good is your lens coating

hmm wrong section... but just for kopitiam sake...

maybe u might wanna test spitting a saliva or pressing your oily thumb on it... den leave it there for 1 week, see if it will fade anot, if after a week you wipe, the stain disappear, means the coating is top notch...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    hmm wrong section... but just for kopitiam sake...

maybe u might wanna test spitting a saliva or pressing your oily thumb on it... den leave it there for 1 week, see if it will fade anot, if after a week you wipe, the stain disappear, means the coating is top notch...
    Don't tell me you did that before? If yes, you must have top notch lenses with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectrum
    Don't tell me you did that before? If yes, you must have top notch lenses with you.
    nah... i was about to when... there was a voice from above called out to me...

OEI... TELL SPECTRUM TO DO IT 1ST!!!

Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    nah... i was about to when... there was a voice from above called out to me...

OEI... TELL SPECTRUM TO DO IT 1ST!!!

Well, the voice from above told me not to do it? Hmmm......who heard the right thing anyway?
    Last edited by Spectrum; 15th October 2005 at 05:48 PM.

Well, the voice from above told me not to do it? Hmmm......who heard the right thing anyway?
    OK this is "The Voice From Above" to both of you:

GO OUT AND PLAY!

If it takes good picture, then, it is good.

One big role of the coating is to reduce flare and increase contrast. Do a test against flare.

Next - durability of the coating - can be affected by UV, IR rays and even the carbon dioxide in the air. And of course, public enemy No 1 - dust that brings about fungus - the poison to the coating.
    I love big car, big house, big lenses, but small apertures.

I looked into mine, its GOOD.

Just wonder. Can any experts out there care to share how to see whether a lens coating is good/bad or average? Heard that if there's something like purple coating is the best like most of the Leica lenses. Is that true? Thanks in advance for sharing.
    It's a load of bollocks actually. The colour of the lens coating has nothing to do with it's effectiveness nor does it make it good bad or average. A lenses coating is actually composed of a number of layers of different compounds and or elements and these vary from manufacturer to manufacturer due to various reasons such as the type of glass being eimployed in a lens element, the required and desired optical end result etc.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

heard from "spectacles" shop that purple is good, followed by green for multi coating that was several years ago....

Just wonder. Can any experts out there care to share how to see whether a lens coating is good/bad or average?
    As the purpose of the coating is to reduce reflections, and without any reflections you wouldn't see it, it follows that the less you see of the lens surface/coating, the better it is.

Heard that if there's something like purple coating is the best like most of the Leica lenses. Is that true?
    No.