Thread: CANON vs NIKON ? WHAT ABOUT MINOLTA ? AND PENTAX ?

Exclamation CANON vs NIKON ? WHAT ABOUT MINOLTA ? AND PENTAX ?

an article i like to share, kinda short tho.

http://www.photozone.de/2Equipment/war.htm

IMHO Pentax made some of the finest manual focus SLRs around, and their lens collection is very decent too, and very underrated. Excellent value for money too. Pity you can't get old Pentax equipment so easily here in Singapore.

Now with everyone raving about high tech stuff, AF, IS/VR/USM/AFS, digital and the likes, it looks like Pentax and Minolta have been forgotten. Anyone still remember Olympus? (not digital / point&shoot stuff)

Originally posted by sriram
    Now with everyone raving about high tech stuff, AF, IS/VR/USM/AFS, digital and the likes, it looks like Pentax and Minolta have been forgotten...
    Pentax coming up with their own D-SLR next year... that should revive their brand somewhat... and i don't think Minolta has been forgotten. there are many Minolta enthusiasts here... including the thread starter.

I thought pentax great for 645 stuff?
    "I'm... dreaming... of a wide... angle~
    Just like the ones I used to know~"

Originally posted by denizenx
    Yeah, Pentax has more or less moved into 645 and 67 MF cameras.

Regards
    CK

too bad olympus has moved onto digital/point and shoot cameras, and it's so difficult to get their OM stuff these days, unless you have a credit card to bid on ebay.
    Canon 300D, 30D, 5D. 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L, 70-200 f2.8 L IS

Originally posted by denizenx
    Pentax makes some excellent 6x7 and 645 stuff. Very very very solid and robust cameras. Quite loud too. I think they even have an AF 645 (or 6x7?) now.

Originally posted by Larry
    Pentax coming up with their own D-SLR next year... that should revive their brand somewhat... and i don't think Minolta has been forgotten. there are many Minolta enthusiasts here... including the thread starter.
    Yes I know about their upcoming DSLR. However, the two big names (C and N) are in their 3rd generation DSLR now so I expect Pentax to serve a niche market only.

Maybe we should post images from all manufacturers and make clubsnappers choose which are nicest. I wonder if Canon and Nikon will come up toppers.

Originally posted by maddog
    Maybe we should post images from all manufacturers and make clubsnappers choose which are nicest. I wonder if Canon and Nikon will come up toppers.
    no lah that'll still be very subjective. it'll also open another flaming can of worms...

Originally posted by sriram

Yes I know about their upcoming DSLR. However, the two big names (C and N) are in their 3rd generation DSLR now so I expect Pentax to serve a niche market only.
    All Canon L lens owners! Take out yr Lens, Ready, SHOOT! :P

Originally posted by Jason Ho
    All Canon L lens owners! Take out yr Lens, Ready, SHOOT! :P
    <--- me using a Nikon mount on Jason...

Originally posted by Larry
    There's this rumour that it's going to be a APS-sized frame sensor. So if that's the case, in my opinion, Pentax is too late in this area. By the time they eventually get about to realise full-frame sensors are what most people serious into digital SLR photography are looking for, most could have jumped ship. Too bad they gave up on their 6MP full-frame model last year.