Thread: Best drybox to buy?

Default Best drybox to buy?

I am currently looking for a drybox to keep my camera equipment in - would prefer those types that do not require electricity.

Any suggestions for which one to buy?

Also, for those that do not require electricity, what is the best brand of moisture absorbing "stuff" to put inside the box?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Default Re: Best drybox to buy?

u want a cost effeective solution?

goto NTUC. buy the Lock and Lock airtight case. get the largest ones. then put silica gel inside. as for how much, i dont really know. i just fill up about 3-4 of those small cases with gel.

Quote Originally Posted by CanonFanatic
    what is the best brand of moisture absorbing "stuff" to put inside the box?
    CanonFanatic, there is no best brand silica gel (moisture absorbing "stuff"). Just get them from any photographic shop.

Think if you are looking for silica gel, Standard Photo sells quite cheaply. Standard Photo - those pix developing shops you see everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by CanonFanatic
    I am currently looking for a drybox to keep my camera equipment in - would prefer those types that do not require electricity.

Any suggestions for which one to buy?

Also, for those that do not require electricity, what is the best brand of moisture absorbing "stuff" to put inside the box?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.
    do not save $ on this.
    if buying new
    buy Toyo Living
    Cathay is the agent
    buy the tall big one ED 175S save you much space in land scarce Singapore with small apartments. the foot print is the same as small cabinet.
    cost about $700.

avoid those that do not need electricity if the stuff you keep in it cost thousands$

i use a cheapo toyogo container with lid for my less important stuff.

the reason for this is because it isn't entirely airtight. i put one of those "thirsty hippo" or similar moisture absorbers in there, and a cheapo temp/hygrometer combo guage from those car accessory shops.

granted, the guage isn't too accurate, but then it does let you monitor the inside of this makeshift dry box. because the box isn't airtight, the air inside cannot get too dry. moisture will always seep in and the humidity level hovers around the 35-40% mark according to the guage. i doubt if it's really 35-40%. maybe more like 40-45%?

of course, i store very old lenses and some old flashes and other things like my 7 yr old camcorder in it.. if you have a brand new DSLR like the 20D or 1Dm2n, then needless to say you'll probably not want to risk this kind of stunt.

Hi all,

Thanks for the advice! Much appreciated.

I am looking to keep my point and shoot cameras in them - have 2 such cameras.

Looks like a good range of solutions to choose from.

If anyone else has any other suggestions or advice, I would be most interested to hear them.

Thanks again!