Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [keithwee] Preview of the Fujifilm Fujion XF35mm F2 R WR lens

Default Re: [keithwee] Preview of the Fujifilm Fujion XF35mm F2 R WR lens

Coming to the end, now, an interesting question which most will ask:

Should you buy the XF35 F2R WR?

My view is that the XF35/2 is not a replacement for the legacy XF35/1.4. The XF35/1.4 is a classic and it will retain its unique position as a classic in the X-mount lineup.

Afterall, those who had started with firmware version 1.00 will know and appreciate how much improved the XF35/1.4’s performance is now with firmware version 3.10 over the 3 years it was released.

Rather, I see this as Fujifilm trying their best to provide an alternative and of course to address:

1. Feedback that XF35/1.4 AF’s can be even faster.

2. Feedback that XF35/1.4 is a tad too big for my X-T10 (or smaller sized X mount bodies)

3. the alignment with the movement towards weather resistant bodies, to prep the groundwork for the next generation of X-Trans sensor which is coming really soon.

4. the fact that glass, AF motors, coating and even lens build will improve with time and the XF35/2 is an example of this.

Who should not buy the XF35R F2?

1. When having a f1.4 lens is an absolute necessity.

2. You do not mind the larger size of the XF35/1.4 and do not feel that you need better AF performance.

To me, it’s a good piece to add to anyone’s usage, especially when it comes in at only 170g and is excellent value in terms of performance vs size vs cost.

I’ll say, don’t rush to judge it, go to the shops or Fujifilm Studio and test it for yourself.

Here’s the end of the preview hope it has been a useful read for everyone.

Last edited by keithwee; 21st October 2015 at 09:46 AM.

Notes 1:

Fujifilm ClubX (Fujifilm SG's official club on Facebook) will be holding a meet-up this Friday, 23rd of Oct around 7-9pm at Fujifilm Studio at Funan. Fujifilm SG has kindly loaned us 4 pieces of the XF35/2 and the 1.4x Teleconverter each for the meetup. Drop by if you can.

Notes 2:

Preorders will come really soon, I'll post the details here once its ready for release.

Pre-orders for the X35mm F2 R WR lens:

Please do a quick compare against 35 f1.4 !

Quote Originally Posted by DSolZ View Post
    Please do a quick compare against 35 f1.4 !
    Heh , what do you want to know bro ?

Hi Keith.
    Since I'm helping a friend to get the XF 35F1.4R really soon. (Actually going down to get it in 4hrs time )
    Would be good knowledge for me to know about how this XF 35F2 compared to the 35F1.4.
    Lets say.. in terms of the focusing speed/color and contrast/Sharpness?

Quote Originally Posted by TWmilkteaTW View Post
    Hi Keith. Since I'm helping a friend to get the XF 35F1.4R really soon. (Actually going down to get it in 4hrs time ) Would be good knowledge for me to know about how this XF 35F2 compared to the 35F1.4. Lets say.. in terms of the focusing speed/color and contrast/Sharpness?
    Hi,

If it's focusing speed and accuracy the 35/2 is noticeable improved over the 35/1.4. I did the preview with a pre production model and fuji's releasing a firmware update on 29 Oct to push the performance of the 35/2 even further.

Color wise there's not really much noticeable differences but sharpness is there. For image quality comparisons I'll simply let the photo samples here and around on the web do the talk

Picked up the LH-XF35-2 hood for my XF35/2 over the weekend and I was pleasantly surprised about the quality.

Unlike the more budget versions which are pure metal and may not fit 100%, the Fujifilm hood comes with a plastic back-piece , clicking very nicely into place.

The stock hood is the most ridiculous thing Fuji made but it's ludicrous they make people fork out over $100 for a decent hood when they should have included it in the box to begin with.

an update

The free XF35F2 promotion with a purchase of the X-T1 won't last forever.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12