Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Laptop headache

  1. #1

    Default Laptop headache

    Hi pple,

    wanted to ask if anyone can help me narrow my search criterias i would need when choosing a laptop!

    will be using for my school work and still be able to play with Photoshop when outside, not a gaming one though.

    i am looking at ard 2800 max and not mac although i would have love one haha (lack of tech knowledge and jus so hard to syncronise with non mac users)

    thanks!!!
    would deeply appreciate all inputs

    alex

  2. #2

    Default Re: Laptop headache

    Thinkpad Z-series coming out, quite affordable... check cnetasia.com

  3. #3

    Default Re: Laptop headache

    get as much RAM as possible~~ LOL

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    2,504

    Default Re: Laptop headache

    im using Acer 1692WLMi + 1.2GB of DDR II ram.

    acer has a new 5500 i think. more powerful 1.8ghz sonoma.for abt $2500. u add 1 GB of ram brings u to abt $2700. still got enough $ to buy a nice lock and a CF reader

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    lulu island
    Posts
    6,131

    Default Re: Laptop headache

    Quote Originally Posted by superbeng
    Thinkpad Z-series coming out, quite affordable... check cnetasia.com
    i 2nd this choice.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Astin Studio
    Posts
    4,736

    Default Re: Laptop headache

    Check your schools, some brands may have special student price promotions for certain schools.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Laptop headache

    hey thanks for all the input!
    yah NTU has some discounts but limited models

  8. #8

    Default Re: Laptop headache

    Quote Originally Posted by Drudkh
    i 2nd this choice.
    i was hearing rumors that IBM support are not so gd nowadays, any truth in that?

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Punggol 21
    Posts
    967

    Default Re: Laptop headache

    I just gotten my IBM, and this was nearly recommended 95% by the CSers here. They actually swear by it. I am most happy with it, performance and durability. I doubt would have any problems with the service, my came with a 3 year int'l warranty.
    I lup SG, but SG don't love me...

  10. #10

    Default Re: Laptop headache

    Quote Originally Posted by fuse
    hey thanks for all the input!
    yah NTU has some discounts but limited models
    Actually, the NTU models are quite good, I must say.
    I'm using a T43 (Sonoma 1.86), with 1GB of RAM, and it runs PS CS2 fine.

    But only downside is the screen resolution... 1024 x 768.

  11. #11
    Senior Member +evenstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Singapore / United Kingdom
    Posts
    5,655

    Default Re: Laptop headache

    Quote Originally Posted by fuse
    i was hearing rumors that IBM support are not so gd nowadays, any truth in that?
    IBM is well known for its after-sales service, and Toshiba is another good brand to use. My ex-school teacher has a 7-year old Toshiba laptop and it is still working fine after much "abuse"
    eat. drink. shoot

  12. #12

    Default Re: Laptop headache

    Quote Originally Posted by +evenstar
    IBM is well known for its after-sales service, and Toshiba is another good brand to use. My ex-school teacher has a 7-year old Toshiba laptop and it is still working fine after much "abuse"
    7 YEARS!!!!! WOW
    i think i will be considering the IBM series too, i always like its 'PRO' look
    thanks!

    next QN: cheaper to increase ram on ur own or let the shop do it? (minus the opportunity cost of time that is)

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Tampines, Singapore.
    Posts
    1,899

    Default Re: Laptop headache

    Quote Originally Posted by fuse
    Hi pple,

    wanted to ask if anyone can help me narrow my search criterias i would need when choosing a laptop!

    will be using for my school work and still be able to play with Photoshop when outside, not a gaming one though.

    i am looking at ard 2800 max and not mac although i would have love one haha (lack of tech knowledge and jus so hard to syncronise with non mac users)

    thanks!!!
    would deeply appreciate all inputs

    alex

    just got my Dell inspiron 6000 fairly souped up for $3030.
    Centrino 1.86GHz, 1GB RAM, 80GB HDD, DVD/RW, 15.4-inch ultrasharp LCD 1680×1040, 128MB ATI X300 graphics, 11G WiFi, bluetooth, spare AC, backpack. XP-Pro, Office-Pro, Symantec Internet Protection, 1-year next-day service.

    If you scale back some of the bells and whistles, especially the software, easily meet $2800.

  14. #14
    Senior Member +evenstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Singapore / United Kingdom
    Posts
    5,655

    Default Re: Laptop headache

    Quote Originally Posted by fuse
    7 YEARS!!!!! WOW
    i think i will be considering the IBM series too, i always like its 'PRO' look
    thanks!

    next QN: cheaper to increase ram on ur own or let the shop do it? (minus the opportunity cost of time that is)
    Depends on what shop...if you know the shop owner, he/she may be able to get you a better rate...
    eat. drink. shoot

  15. #15

    Default Re: Laptop headache

    I think if you get an IBM, you have to get IBM to upgrade your RAM (with top-up of course). Because if you buy any other RAM this voids the warranty.

    I have an IBM Thinkpad R51. Important that you get the International Warranty (actually I think mine was a free 6-month warranty and I got it at Sitex last year). Aftersales service was pretty good but I was really relieved that I got the warranty FOC without thinking because 1) it's my first laptop 2) it got stolen overseas! They replaced it, no problemo with supporting documents. THE WARRANTY REALLY IMPORTANT.

    I'm not crazy about the speed of my R51 but I think it could be just the RAM (measly 256). The next laptop I would get would still be an IBM.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Some equitorial, tropical isle
    Posts
    2,398

    Default Re: Laptop headache

    Btw IBM has already sold its laptop division to Lenova of China. So you are not really getting an IBM Thinkpad but a designed by IBM, made by Lenova Thinkpad......


    But still... the design is pretty good. Its one of the more stable laptops. Don't really know about the QC after handing the reigns over to Lenova though....

  17. #17
    Senior Member +evenstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Singapore / United Kingdom
    Posts
    5,655

    Default Re: Laptop headache

    Quote Originally Posted by Zplus
    Btw IBM has already sold its laptop division to Lenova of China. So you are not really getting an IBM Thinkpad but a designed by IBM, made by Lenova Thinkpad......


    But still... the design is pretty good. Its one of the more stable laptops. Don't really know about the QC after handing the reigns over to Lenova though....
    I thought the manufacturing team is still retained? Ie. Business profits, etcetc goes to Lenova but designing and manufacturing is still done by the same team of manufacturers...?
    eat. drink. shoot

  18. #18

    Default Re: Laptop headache

    as a recent Mac convert using the iBook G4, I must correct the opinion that Macs are "hard to syncronise with non mac users".. it is never to be the case... there is really no problem at all, even for a new Mac convert who know nothing much about apple computers 2 months ago

    all my office documents files, photoshop files, digital images, powerpoint presentation, director projects, mmp3 files are able to be swap between my pc at office with my iBook

    no problem at all!

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Some equitorial, tropical isle
    Posts
    2,398

    Default Re: Laptop headache

    Quote Originally Posted by +evenstar
    I thought the manufacturing team is still retained? Ie. Business profits, etcetc goes to Lenova but designing and manufacturing is still done by the same team of manufacturers...?
    Supposedly, the design team will transit to be employed by Lenova. Thus ensuring quality..... of course, I think they would likely be enticed by IBM's competitors to jump ship. Lenova has to have an office in US too. So... anyway, IBM is saying that the quality and service should remain the same. And I believe that in the short term it should. But unless Lenova keeps up the standard, its a tough act to follow. IBM sold off the PC / Laptop division coz the profit margins were too thin....

  20. #20

    Default Re: Laptop headache

    Quote Originally Posted by fuse
    7 YEARS!!!!! WOW
    i think i will be considering the IBM series too, i always like its 'PRO' look
    thanks!

    next QN: cheaper to increase ram on ur own or let the shop do it? (minus the opportunity cost of time that is)
    i've been using my IBM for 5 years now... ibm laptops way to go

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •