Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Photo Trip: Cambodia

Default Re: Photo Trip: Cambodia

Quote Originally Posted by skinnylatte
    I thought so also, since I'm a poor student with hardly any salary. But I went to Phnom Penh and Siem Reap on a really tight budget! Cos I went by road.

Airfare SG to Bangkok - $130 (jetstar)
    Bus to thai/cambo border - <$10
    Taxi from cambo border into phnom penh - $30 (only cos we booked the whole back seat so it was $30 each)

Phnom Penh to Siem Reap - US$4 (bus)
    Siem Reap to Thai border - US$4
    Thai border to bangkok - S$4

Not so bad right?

Can read www.talesofasia.com for more on how to do that. =) And it's not as unsafe as people think it is. I went with another friend, just two of us girls, 20 years old. No problem at all. Staying at a decent place in Cambodia is only like US$14 a night, and quite luxuriously already - with air con and toilet and decent neighbourhood.

skinnylatte, thanks for sharing this too man. just right for a student's wallet.

Red face Re: Photo Trip: Cambodia

oh yah.. the thing that was most expensive was the visitors pass to see the angkor temples!

US$20 for the one day pass, US$40 for three days and US$60 for one week.. not cheap at all..

plus the visa, which cost US$25. these formed the bulk of the expenditure..

beers were only US$1!

this page has quite a good guide on calculating how much u need to spend for the trip..
    http://www.redlodgeangkor.com/fqa.html

Quote Originally Posted by jasphotography
    This sounds like a doable trip, not because it is cheap, but I believe the journey (probably painful to some) is quite an experience, which is something money can't buy.

thanks for sharing this... If I go, I need more info
    No problem bro! Just pm me anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by skinnylatte
    I thought so also, since I'm a poor student with hardly any salary. But I went to Phnom Penh and Siem Reap on a really tight budget! Cos I went by road.

Airfare SG to Bangkok - $130 (jetstar)
    Bus to thai/cambo border - <$10
    Taxi from cambo border into phnom penh - $30 (only cos we booked the whole back seat so it was $30 each)

Phnom Penh to Siem Reap - US$4 (bus)
    Siem Reap to Thai border - US$4
    Thai border to bangkok - S$4

Not so bad right?

Can read www.talesofasia.com for more on how to do that. =) And it's not as unsafe as people think it is. I went with another friend, just two of us girls, 20 years old. No problem at all. Staying at a decent place in Cambodia is only like US$14 a night, and quite luxuriously already - with air con and toilet and decent neighbourhood.
    Interesting skinnylatte. Have been saving my NS pay just to travel. Going to korea year end on my measly income. Haha.
    So, it's all possible to travel on a tight budget. Intend to go to Tibet next June-July. Will be saving for it and might post thread in future for travel buddies!

Planning a trip to Seam Reap from 11th to 14th Nov. Price around SGD510 (return tics and 2 nights stay). Extending one night either at the hotel itself or some low cost backpackers inn. Interested please let either myself or ileaf know. Thanks!

Hi,

I was actually going to take 2 months off work early next year to travel Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam.

Can I have more details to your iterinary for upcoming Cambodia?

If you guys have say 1 week (take mon to Fri), 9 days total you may want to consider going to Ho Chi Minh and cross to Phnom Penh, then Sieam Reap then Bangkok, or back to HCM. There are many many options depending on the dept of everyone's wallet of course.

Wouldn't call myself a season traveller but an ok backpacker.

The raining season is just over so it'll be good to visit Cambodia.

Your thoughts.

I've done Bangkok-Siem Reap-Phnom Penh. Was going to cross over into HCM, but got too lazy, so leaving for vietnam for another trip. 9 days total that you mentioned for SR-PP-HCM-BKK is really not enough! You need to factor in the tremendous amount of time spent travelling between one leg and the next, unless you're flying.

As discussed in another thread here, there are a few people interested in making a trip to Angkor, probably over the chinese new year period. We've just started talking (actually, 2 or 3 of us; though we've gathered more names), feel free to hop on too. I'm going back to Angkor because I feel I didn't seen enough Angkor temples when I was last there. This will probably be a short trip since it will be over the festive season, and we have work (and school).

I'm going to Laos at the end of the year, though. I love travelling in this region but I don't feel up to doing what you're planning to: taking a few months to go them in a loop. I'm a poor student, can only pay one exorbitant visa fee for one country at a time. =)

For my upcoming Laos trip, I will be going in through Huay Xai from the Thai border, and taking a slow boat. Then making my way to luang prabang, and down to vang vieng and vientiane then back to bangkok. Leaving Southern laos for another trip.

What're your travel plans like at the moment? After Laos this year, and Angkor next year, I will most probably be doing another 'major' trip during the university summer break. Hopefully Burma, and then cross into Southern China through laos or something. =)
    Last edited by skinnylatte; 1st November 2005 at 04:02 AM.

Hi Skinnylatte,

I am definitely interested and please keep me updated. When are you going to Laos?

The last backpack trip i did was in March this year for 3 weeks in the lower West to East of Thailand (Phuket to Koh Tao) with some friends who flew from Australia enroute home to Argentina and Chile (oh yes they are south americans). Last year been to various places but probably Kota Kinabalu and Sipadan will be more worth a mention - was there for 2 weeks and it was awesome. Since then I have been too busy to travel.

I always travel and scuba-dive alone cos its really too difficult to co-ordinate with all my friends - think you know what I mean. Besides not everyone's used to backpacking and its good to know more people of similar interests.

I do not have any travel plans at the moment and waiting for people to chio. However I should be heading to Sri Lanka and Maldives either Jan or March next year. I have some really good and proper friends in Sri Lanka to stay with so if you are keen, it'll be really cheap. One thing - can you dive?

So if you are keen to travel in Dec or CNY (which I make an effort never to be here for the past 8 years!) count me in!!!V ietnam will be interesting too!!!

Just keep me posted. I am just really easy going and travelling rough has never been an issue for me.
    Last edited by genuinebuyerplease; 1st November 2005 at 04:06 PM.

I'm going to Laos in mid December, and hope to stay in Laos and Thailand until end of Dec (and miss a full week of school!!).. I would really love to go to Sri Lanka too, but I might have exhausted all possible travel income already with what I've got planned. I'm hoping to go to India sometime between May and September, to source for an internship, so Sri Lanka might be out of the picture though I really do hope to visit soon.

I can't dive.. am an OK swimmer but have a deep, irrational fear of being in the sea.

For Laos only one other person is confirmed my girlfriend. we may have some exchange students join us, or one or two other guys, so nothing is concrete yet.

Hi SLatte,

Wanna tell me the dates so I can at least try and make arrangements?

What's your budget for the entire trip?

AC

Going to Seam Reap in T-minus 5 hrs!

Congrats congrats !!! Hope you have fun and wish you a safe trip.

Don't forget to share share your pictures when you come back hor....

Quote Originally Posted by Ah_Seng
    Congrats congrats !!! Hope you have fun and wish you a safe trip.

Don't forget to share share your pictures when you come back hor....
    Thank you so much!...sure will post them here.

Quote Originally Posted by aperture
    hahaha, so excited!
    i bet u didn't sleep well last night!

Quote Originally Posted by aperture
    Have a great trip YL! Wish I can join, reservist now

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123