Thread: Tips for shooting GOLF?

Default Tips for shooting GOLF?

I've been looking at newspapers and magazine. Anyone have any tips for capturing GOLF shots?

Thanks!

Default Re: Tips for shooting GOLF?

Quote Originally Posted by gootlah
    I've been looking at newspapers and magazine. Anyone have any tips for capturing GOLF shots?

Thanks!
    Never click when the golfer is in the upswing or downswing... ha ha ha .. they will be very very pissed.

I guess as with most sports, use a tele lens, that is fairly fast (USM,SWM,HSM) etc.. high shutter, If you would like to get the whole golfer, then perhaps a medium aperture (f8 etc) should be good. push iso if need be to achieve the shutter speeds that will effectively freeze the golfer, and prevent hand shake etc. Monopods are a great help he he .
    RH

you must never use the 20D on events like these....don't think I need to explain the reason....

Deregistered

f/8? open up more. the longer the better. apparently some foreign courses only allow 300 or 400mm MINIMUM, to keep a safe working distance plus a distance that's far enough that the golfer can't hear the shooting...

Quote Originally Posted by gootlah

Thanks!
    what type of game are you shooting ? A friendly foursome ? A charity golf torunament ? A club level tournament ? An international torunament ?

Basic is you cannot be on the green for safety reason. You should not stand in front of the golfer - same reason unless you really want a shot of the golf ball hitting your front element. Use a long lens - at least 180mm which could be the bear minimum.

Bring sun block - your skin will thank u. Yr viewing lcd will almost certain not to be usable on the green - you need to know how to meter it right the first time.

Wow! Those are great tips! Thanks!

It's a friendly match. Is the 20D really that loud until these golfers will complain? Too used to a 1D. Looks like I'll have to bring my 300D.

lolz.. jus used a 10D and 20D for a golf tournament yd...

not too bad... pics were great too....

Some points regarding golf tourneys were discussed in this thread.

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=145879

HAve fun.

Moved to a more appropriate location

Ian
    Nikon Forum Moderator
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!