Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MP suggests reward for reporting litterbugs

Default Re: MP suggests reward for reporting litterbugs

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    Leave it to The Enforcer?

come to think of it,

why we like to watch movies?
    because in real life, we are the one who sit on our big fat a55 pointing fingers complain and complain and watching other people taking actions,

but who will be remembered at the end of the day? those who take actions or those who shoot with their mouths?
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

I imagine it would really tick a policeman off if he had to take action for someone littering...he probably has bigger fish to fry. I don't think it would be wise to try such a man.

Begs the question doesn't government have a plate full already?

Around here we have Don't Lay That Trash on Oklahoma campaign but man you should see the roadside ditches out here where I live. People don't want to junk up their cars so they junk up everyone else's ditch in front of their property. And since they just let convicts stay in jail so privately owned jail company can collect 17 dollars a night none of it gets picked up unless property owner does it him/herself. I don't think they will even let you work off a traffic fine by doing this anymore. They used to have programs like that. Public service in lieu of being a knothead. That was a good thing.

Sometimes uncles (and it is always uncles I have never seen a youngster doing this now that I think of it) pick up cans to sell to scrap yard but leaves trash. lol

It just never ends either. Man has to come along and screw up nature's beauty. Further testament of the degradation of American society.

You bros probably ought to nip that crap in the bud somehow because you don't have much real estate.

Like a lot of things in life it probably starts at home very early in life.
    Last edited by Nikonzen; 14th October 2015 at 11:56 AM.
    Expand your mind or get left behind

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nikonzen View Post
    I imagine it would really tick a policeman off if he had to take action for someone littering...he probably has bigger fish to fry. I don't think it would be wise to try such a man.

Begs the question doesn't government have a plate full already?

Around here we have Don't Lay That Trash on Oklahoma campaign but man you should see the roadside ditches out here where I live. People don't want to junk up their cars so they junk up everyone else's ditch in front of their property. And since they just let convicts stay in jail so privately owned jail company can collect 17 dollars a night none of it gets picked up unless property owner does it him/herself. I don't think they will even let you work off a traffic fine by doing this anymore. They used to have programs like that. Public service in lieu of being a knothead. That was a good thing.

Sometimes uncles (and it is always uncles I have never seen a youngster doing this now that I think of it) pick up cans to sell to scrap yard but leaves trash. lol

It just never ends either. Man has to come along and screw up nature's beauty. Further testament of the degradation of American society.

You bros probably ought to nip that crap in the bud somehow because you don't have much real estate.

Like a lot of things in life it probably starts at home very early in life.
    Man, looks like you Americans have a bigger problem ....not simply littering but dumping....... don't know what you mean by crap but here we have the occasional dropping of cigarette butts and used tissues ...... Yes, we are indeed a small but over crowded country.
    Nikomi Canpen Zenten :eek:
    Not exactly 100% Natural but definitely the closest you can get to it

I think the idea is probably worth a trial at some point... But I'd rather they improve the current systems first, before embarking on something new.

Under the current system, where citizens can already report certain matters to the relevant ministries/bodies, they aren't even able to give you the 'reward' of knowing whether any action was taken based on your feedback.

Once I saw a truck with pretty nasty looking black smoke coming out of the exhaust. I made a report to the NEA via their online reporting tool (http://www.nea.gov.sg/corporate-functions/feedback). Took the time and effort to extract the video from the car camera, uploaded it, detailed description and all. Never heard back. I'm less inclined to make a report again. I don't know if my effort simply went to waste.

Quote Originally Posted by Yappy View Post
    Good part time job for retirees.

Walk around the beaches and near bus stops... not a bad way to get some income.
    Yeah. This can become income for retirees. All they need is phone with camera.

But I tell you, this kind of tell and reward system will only breed mistrust and suspicion among people and even friends or relatives.

Just imagine this scenario. Two or three friends want to smoke in a place they know that is smoking not allowed. They look at each other and while they are smoking together, they are also thinking which friend will betray for money. This kind of thinking is definitely not healthy socially. U know our smoking fine is a big amount. I can't remember how much but it can be as high as $1000. If the friend betray the other two friends, he gets $1000, assuming the reward is half of the summon.

For $1000, the system is encouraging someone to betray friends. What kind of moral values are we teaching to the people? That it is OK to betray people for money?

Now my example also shows lying to the authority because the friend who betray is also smoking, but there is no way the system will know that, based on video clip. The person holding the camera will not show whether he is smoking or not. So this is a loophole that people will abuse.

So the whole system is flawed with serious consequences and questionable morals values taught.

Another scenario of another flaw is one person was littering or smoking somewhere not allowed to smoke. 2 or more strangers happened to see the act. All quickly take out cameras and take pictures. And all 2 or more strangers submit to the system. And who will get the reward? First come first serve? Will the other strangers trust the system that there is someone submitted first? They can start to say the system bluff them and refuse to pay the reward by simply saying someone already submitted the picture. How will the system prove this without breaching PDPA?

Or share the reward? If share reward, how to share? What if someone submit the picture later than rest? Will he get the share? How to determine the timeline?

The only way to eradicate crimes or littering is through education and teaching the right values. Not by encouraging people to report to authority for money.

And we need to be realistic about expectation. There is no such thing as 100% no crime or petty offences. There is only low or high %. This system of reward and tell is not going to give 100% no crime or petty offences. It will only teach the wrong moral values.
    Last edited by donut88; 14th October 2015 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kandinsky View Post
    I think the idea is probably worth a trial at some point... But I'd rather they improve the current systems first, before embarking on something new.

Under the current system, where citizens can already report certain matters to the relevant ministries/bodies, they aren't even able to give you the 'reward' of knowing whether any action was taken based on your feedback.

Once I saw a truck with pretty nasty looking black smoke coming out of the exhaust. I made a report to the NEA via their online reporting tool (http://www.nea.gov.sg/corporate-functions/feedback). Took the time and effort to extract the video from the car camera, uploaded it, detailed description and all. Never heard back. I'm less inclined to make a report again. I don't know if my effort simply went to waste.
    for your case, I think you should direct it to traffic police instead.

I made reports about my neighbourhood many times, each time they write back to me about their progress, and I see things being taken care off within one or two working days.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

I like this:

"My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country." - John F. Kennedy

Maybe we should ask ourselves, why can't we be like the Japanese which has almost litter-free environment.

1. Will education help?
    2. Will enforcement help?
    3. Will more foreign talent help?
    4. Can't we do it ourselves.. if you don't litter, you don't have to pick it up?(I saw this at Primary School)

One observation, you don't see much littering at MBS, Orchard Road, Suntec, MRTs etc why?

For sure Singapore is better off as compare to many countries.

"Just imagine this scenario. Two or three friends want to smoke in a place they know that is smoking not allowed. They look at each other and while they are smoking together, they are also thinking which friend will betray for money. This kind of thinking is definitely not healthy socially. U know our smoking fine is a big amount. I can't remember how much but it can be as high as $1000. If the friend betray the other two friends, he gets $1000, assuming the reward is half of the summon."

Why worry? You have nothing to fear if you do nothing wrong.

I was once fined $50 for parking wrongly. Curse the parking aunt? Blame the authority? Why? I only blame myself for trying my luck!

So don't try your luck. Change your habit! Help to keep the place clean! It is simple and easy. It is not difficult to do at all!

Quote Originally Posted by sjackal View Post
    Jiak Lak.

The world's my dustbin.
    Sure!

Try doing it in front of a NEA officer.

Don't do it once, do it repeatedly. i will salute you!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12