Thread: rates for photographers

Default rates for photographers

What's the usual rate to hire an event photographer (to shoot the guests at a party)?
    About 3-4hrs? Would it be based on no. of photographs needed or just the time spent?

Thanks

Default Re: rates for photographers

Can depend on a few variables:
    * the photographer's skill
    * equipment
    * art of presentation

Do realise that you need to factor in the time spent done on post-processing - the amount of time spent in front of the PC post-event. First-timers usually miss out that point.

As with most photographers, the so called "market rate" is at around S$80 per hour and medium provided to client would be CD-Rom only. Prints will be charged additionally. But as what snowspeeder said it can depend on your confidence and skill level, and on top of that also the time spent doing post processing as what Ah Pao highlighted.

Although I am doing corporate and commercial photography most of the time, I do have quite a handful of regular clients who call me up for event shoots. My usual charge rates to them would be in the ballpark of S$130 to S$150 per hour. Many of them don't mind paying the higher rates if you are able to deliver the quality. My full day event shoots for high-end conference could range between S$1500 to S$1900.

There are many photographers out there who under quote drastically because they are either not confident of themselves or they are just simply desperate for jobs. But bare that in mind, in order for you to succeed in photography, you must first be a businessman before being a photographer. The fact is if you can't even convince yourself that you can deliver the standard then forget about convincing the client that you are even worth S$80 per hour.

Well said! Many of us here are evolving to postition ourselves in the marketplace. It's a hard journey but the focus to succeed should be on the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ho
    As with most photographers, the so called "market rate" is at around S$80 per hour and medium provided to client would be CD-Rom only. Prints will be charged additionally. But as what snowspeeder said it can depend on your confidence and skill level, and on top of that also the time spent doing post processing as what Ah Pao highlighted.

Although I am doing corporate and commercial photography most of the time, I do have quite a handful of regular clients who call me up for event shoots. My usual charge rates to them would be in the ballpark of S$130 to S$150 per hour. Many of them don't mind paying the higher rates if you are able to deliver the quality. My full day event shoots for high-end conference could range between S$1500 to S$1900.

There are many photographers out there who under quote drastically because they are either not confident of themselves or they are just simply desperate for jobs. But bare that in mind, in order for you to succeed in photography, you must first be a businessman before being a photographer. The fact is if you can't even convince yourself that you can deliver the standard then forget about convincing the client that you are even worth S$80 per hour.

Very well said Andy Ho

Most ppl think being a photoger is an easy job, " just press press only mah? Y so expensive? " - this is the usual comments. And worse still, many ppl who have a camera is reenforcing this idea by offering 'photogy services' at ridiculous prices, eg S$200 for AD wedding...plus prints and album and slideshow ! This is really crazy. I know it is the freedom of individual to state their prices, but would any decent photoger work for this kind of price? -- knowing the skills and effort that are invovled to present quality works.(not talking about doing for buddies and family members type lah ). ........I dun know, maybe the quality of the works do call for a price of S$200

This is not meant to 'attack' any individuals so don;t take it personally if you do charge S$200 for AD wedding, OK ?, just an example. You have every right to charge as you please. The main point here is super-under charging does affect the ppl ouut there who have made serious sacrifices in investing time and money to learn the 'trade' and offer quality works at a price that matches their input.

I know my comments will pizz some ppl off........but don;t expect any apologies from me
    DT

By underquoting - photogs will kill each other at end. Charge this rate and give fuller service and establish a fair market price. There is a fair bit of backend work and frontend work.

I say let the market decide. If beginner photogs are charging low rates and doing well, he'll increase his rate over time. If prof photogs are not happy, perhaps they should lower their rates.

The price is on par with quality of the works. If client is willing to pay thousands of dollars for photog works, then be it. If client only pays a dime to photogs, then client's expectation is also a dime.

Charging a lower rate and charging a suicide rate are different.
    What AndyHo have mention the $80 pre hour for soft copy is just a entry rate(for event), and the photographers in this rate should provide with decent quality work.

For what dreamtheatre mention about $200 (with print) for wedding day photography is a crazy price, minus out the material is apparently nothing left behind.

If someone not sure about the norm going rate, he/she should make an effort to find out and try to match the quality of work.

For someone prefer to charge a lower rate and providing a lower quality of work will not doing anything good to anyone, especially to him/herself.

There's certainly no way to prevent people from charging low / suicidal rates or high rates. The clients will still make the choice in the end. This is uncontrollable on our part. But what we can do is to educate the market, in particular the client. It is important to convince clients that they are paying for the effort, quality of work, the level of professionalism, and reliability.

$80 per hour is really cutthroat... a balloon twister cost more than that..... and his outlay is just a packet of balloons and a hand pump. Oh yeah... no post processing too...
    Hmmm... maybe I should become a balloon twister....

Quote Originally Posted by Zplus
    $80 per hour is really cutthroat... a balloon twister cost more than that..... and his outlay is just a packet of balloons and a hand pump. Oh yeah... no post processing too...
    Really depends lor. Some pple's biz model is to survive on volume. At the end of the day, how much money p.a. you make w.r.t how many man hours/days you've put in matters.
    Last edited by 2100; 15th October 2005 at 05:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zplus
    Some balloon twisters say a photographer just press the big button on top ......