Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Difference of tripods?

Default Difference of tripods?

Hi everyone,

I've decided on my camera and lens already. Nikon D700 + 24-70

Now I'm deciding which tripod to get and its quite confusing to why are there so many types of tripods.

The main thing is just to know if the tripod can withstand the weight of your camera + lens right?

Would also prefer recommendations as I'm looking for a budget one since I've already spent quite a bomb. Hahaha

Thanks!

Default Re: Difference of tripods?

Quote Originally Posted by Angus Siew View Post
    Hi everyone,

I've decided on my camera and lens already. Nikon D700 + 24-70

Now I'm deciding which tripod to get and its quite confusing to why are there so many types of tripods.

The main thing is just to know if the tripod can withstand the weight of your camera + lens right?

Would also prefer recommendations as I'm looking for a budget one since I've already spent quite a bomb. Hahaha

Thanks!
    You spent a bomb on your camera gear and you want to find a cheap budget tripod to put your gear you spent a bomb on it. That is like saying you bought a Ferrari Sport card and now want to put entry level tires on it. Does it make sense to you at this point now that I put that in perspective comparison heh.

Head over to websites of popular tripod brands like Manfrotto, Sirus or Benro ( which are about average to good) to look at the various models, their max height available and also what weight tolerance they can carry but ou weighing your more heaviest setup and possible later purchases of larger lens like a 70-200mm F2.8. You seldom change a tripod once you buy it and it has to fit all your shooting styles, how often you use it, how much gear you will to carry versus how stable a tripod performance you need. In general I would not expect to spend anything below $250 and up to $450 for a reasonably good tripod with a ball head.
    A good photo's 45% you, 45% practice & 10% equipment. A bad photo share the same ratio.

Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    You spent a bomb on your camera gear and you want to find a cheap budget tripod to put your gear you spent a bomb on it. That is like saying you bought a Ferrari Sport card and now want to put entry level tires on it. Does it make sense to you at this point now that I put that in perspective comparison heh.

Head over to websites of popular tripod brands like Manfrotto, Sirus or Benro ( which are about average to good) to look at the various models, their max height available and also what weight tolerance they can carry but ou weighing your more heaviest setup and possible later purchases of larger lens like a 70-200mm F2.8. You seldom change a tripod once you buy it and it has to fit all your shooting styles, how often you use it, how much gear you will to carry versus how stable a tripod performance you need. In general I would not expect to spend anything below $250 and up to $450 for a reasonably good tripod with a ball head.
    Hahaha. Shucks, thats true too. Maybe i should rephrase and say I'm looking for a second hand tripod which is averagely priced.

Alright, so basically just get a max weight which will suit my shooting style. But is a ball head really needed? The tripod can also be pointed to the way i want it right, a ball head just makes it more convenient?

the last thing you want is the tripod let your camera kiss the floor,

just spend considerable amount on tripod, it will out last your camera anyway.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Hahaha. Shucks, thats true too. Maybe i should rephrase and say I'm looking for a second hand tripod which is averagely priced.

Alright, so basically just get a max weight which will suit my shooting style. But is a ball head really needed? The tripod can also be pointed to the way i want it right, a ball head just makes it more convenient?
    In the age of internet and people always looking into their smartphone even while on a date .... Google and YouTube is your Friend. You type in just a few keywords and the whole worlds of information to read and watch is at your fingertip way more and faster then anyone can write to tell you something that is only going to touch on a fraction of details.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...r+photograpyhy

Just typing "How to choose a tripod for photography" in YouTube and i got all this above listing. You don't know the fundamental you are not going to get a good deal on a second hand and not know how to choose. You rather wait and read or watch a self help video at the click of a button?

And if you want to read, you search the forum here and you will see a ton of discuss has already gone into covering the basics of tripod to brand reviews by users here.
    Last edited by sammy888; 7th October 2015 at 04:25 PM.
    A good photo's 45% you, 45% practice & 10% equipment. A bad photo share the same ratio.

there are good deals for Sirui tripods from TK Foto. Cheap and good.

If you newbie, maybe better to buy brand new if you donno how to check.

http://www.tkfoto.com.sg/index.php?o...ist&Itemid=290
    Last edited by sjackal; 7th October 2015 at 04:38 PM.
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    the last thing you want is the tripod let your camera kiss the floor,

just spend considerable amount on tripod, it will out last your camera anyway.
    Okay! Thanks for the advice

Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    In the age of internet and people always looking into their smartphone even while on a date .... Google and YouTube is your Friend. You type in just a few keywords and the whole worlds of information to read and watch is at your fingertip way more and faster then anyone can write to tell you something that is only going to touch on a fraction of details.

Just typing "How to choose a tripod for photography" in YouTube and i got all this above listing. You don't know the fundamental you are not going to get a good deal on a second hand and not know how to choose. You rather wait and read or watch a self help video at the click of a button?

And if you want to read, you search the forum here and you will see a ton of discuss has already gone into covering the basics of tripod to brand reviews by users here.
    Hahaha. Okay thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by sjackal View Post
    there are good deals for Sirui tripods from TK Foto. Cheap and good.

If you newbie, maybe better to buy brand new if you donno how to check.
    Alright. Thank you!

Personally, I feel that Sirui is really quite good value as compared to the more expensive brands like Gitzos and sorts. The difference is (may be) there, but not so much that I am willing to fork out the difference for it.

In any case, before you decide on ANY tripod regardless of brand, bring your setup (the heaviest you will use) to the shop and try it there. Make sure that it is reasonably stable before you make the final decision to buy. The last thing you want is ur camera + lens kissing the ground because of a weak support.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

For me the ball-head is equally important if not more. The ball-head is provides flexibility and accuracy in pointing the camera. No point in having a tripod and cannot point camera easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Kermitfm View Post
    For me the ball-head is equally important if not more. The ball-head is provides flexibility and accuracy in pointing the camera. No point in having a tripod and cannot point camera easily.
    After using ball heads, 3 way pan heads, geared heads, video heads, gimbal heads, I would say ball heads are the worst performing heads, even the expensive ones. But they are a generalist head for beginners, can do many tasks but good for none. Definitely get one when starting out but once you know what type of shoots you frequently do, get the specialized one for your needs. Big differences.

A good sized ball that is able to support your heaviest lens & body combo will be a good start. Ball heads are suitable for all kinds of general still photography, it is only not suitable for use where you will need to track your subject constantly.

Next up on your list is what type of clamp you will want to get with your tripod head. In the market there are two type, ARCA SWISS compatible clamps or manufacturer's proprietary.

Then comes the selection of lens plates & body plates that will go with the ball head that will be eventually getting.

One word of advice, clamps & plates from different manufacturers aren't always 100% compatible even when they do mention that they adhere to ARCA SWISS clamp & plate specs. If possible always get plates from the same manufacturer as the ballhead / clamp manufacturer.
    Last edited by Light Machinery; 8th October 2015 at 07:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    Personally, I feel that Sirui is really quite good value as compared to the more expensive brands like Gitzos and sorts. The difference is (may be) there, but not so much that I am willing to fork out the difference for it.

In any case, before you decide on ANY tripod regardless of brand, bring your setup (the heaviest you will use) to the shop and try it there. Make sure that it is reasonably stable before you make the final decision to buy. The last thing you want is ur camera + lens kissing the ground because of a weak support.
    Yup thats what i got from research too, quality will be definitely better as the price goes up, but Sirui seems the most value for money.

Hahaha. Will head down to TKfoto soon thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Kermitfm View Post
    Okay! Thats true, but i initially thought since if im going to shoot landscape of the sky i dont really need to move it alot, but after consideration maybe i'll just get one instead.

Thanks for your advice

Quote Originally Posted by sjackal View Post
    After using ball heads, 3 way pan heads, geared heads, video heads, gimbal heads, I would say ball heads are the worst performing heads, even the expensive ones. But they are a generalist head for beginners, can do many tasks but good for none. Definitely get one when starting out but once you know what type of shoots you frequently do, get the specialized one for your needs. Big differences.
    Hahaha. Its like jack of all trades, master of none. I'll be getting one until i move up the ranks of photography and knowing what i generally shoot after some time.

Thanks for your advice!

Quote Originally Posted by Light Machinery View Post
    A good sized ball that is able to support your heaviest lens & body combo will be a good start. Ball heads are suitable for all kinds of general still photography, it is only not suitable for use where you will need to track your subject constantly.

Next up on your list is what type of clamp you will want to get with your tripod head. In the market there are two type, ARCA SWISS compatible clamps or manufacturer's proprietary.

Then comes the selection of lens plates & body plates that will go with the ball head that will be eventually getting.

One word of advice, clamps & plates from different manufacturers aren't always 100% compatible even when they do mention that they adhere to ARCA SWISS clamp & plate specs. If possible always get plates from the same manufacturer as the ballhead / clamp manufacturer.
    Didnt know there are so many factors to consider in getting a ball head. @_@ i'll just get them all from the same manufacturer to be safe then!

Thanks for your advice!

On ball heads, get the type that enables you to pan horizontally too.

Next thing is, the less knobs the better. For example, some will have one knob for tension control, another for locking. Some is one knob to both, which is better, and less frustration when adjusting and using.

Okay! Thats true, but i initially thought since if im going to shoot landscape of the sky i dont really need to move it alot, but after consideration maybe i'll just get one instead.
    Thought of an analogy: Image that the tripod is your body, the camera is your head, and the ballhead is your neck. Now imagine your neck frozen in a cast/brace. Immediately, it makes it a lot harder for you to move your head (the camera) to look at the stuff you want to look at.

E.g. if you wanted to look up at the sky, you would have to lie down on the ground! Even a slight look up to look at the floor display in a lift will require you to lean your whole body backwards at your waist. Life without a neck would be extremely inconvenient to say the least, so would a tripod without a ballhead. Please make sure you get one

A bad ballhead is like a stiff and injured neck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast