Thread: D70 and Fuji S3pro

Default D70 and Fuji S3pro

HI,

Just wanna get some technical comparison on these 2 brands. Let's put brand loyalty out of the discussion. I am using D70 at the moment and thought of switching to Fuji S3pro cos MS color has quite an attractive promotion.

It seems to be a good and affordable upgrade path. Would want some comments before I take the plunge. Thanks.

Default Re: D70 and Fuji S3pro

You are purchasing because MS Colour has a promo on S3Pro?

S3Pro comes out top notch in vibrancy in terms of colours.

If you are happy with your current setup, you should continue using it. Not to be a wet blanket but unless you are thinking of using the D70 as your back-up camera. It's difficult to really compare as different user has different requirements.

Post processing on S3Pro RAW files could be a pain in the back as the files are larger. I think you should either ask 2 person who has use S3Pro and D70 before.

Their nicks are Reflection and Joho.

eh...i'm looking towards making a change too...but i noticed tt

1) buy s3 i prob need to upgrade comp to support the raw
    2) with buffer upgrade speed is livable with, buten again i shoot mainly studio and such... so speed is not an issue to me
    3) battery power wise i heard its not as high as the d70's enel3
    4) sensor wise beats alot of other cams hands down...
    5) the noise control is WOW

if u want the raw files and sample jpegs u can ask me...i tested it at CP last weekend... mind sharing how much is the ms colour offer? but either way i really suggest keepiong the d70 anyway for general purpose shooting....

cheers....

Quote Originally Posted by M3taLk1dzZ
    HI,

Just wanna get some technical comparison on these 2 brands. Let's put brand loyalty out of the discussion. I am using D70 at the moment and thought of switching to Fuji S3pro cos MS color has quite an attractive promotion.

It seems to be a good and affordable upgrade path. Would want some comments before I take the plunge. Thanks.
    I think you should really consider your reasons for upgrading. I bought the D70 in 2004 and then the S3Pro in early 2005. Both cameras use f-mount lenses, so buying the S3Pro as another body was a no brainer since it didn't involve a system change.

The S3Pro and the D70 are two very different cameras. The S3Pro takes a longer time to write images on the CF card, due to its processing algorithms. Taking a photograph in RAW doesn't help either, since RAW files can potentially reach a staggering 35MB. Nevertheless, speed isn't much of an issue, since Joho and many other photographers have used the camera (i'm including S1 and S2Pros) to capture the moments at weddings successfully. Even without the buffer upgrade, you'll notice that you'll seldom push the internal buffer to its limits.

The S3Pro seems to handle better due to its built-in vertical grip. Used in a studio or under controlled lighting conditions, the vertical grip is adequate. However, once you discover the need to switch settings while using the vertical grip, you'll find that its lack of control dials is a problem. Nevertheless, it's a plus for folks with big hands! The D70 is not a camera that i use for long periods because it's small. The lack of the vertical grip allows my pinky to "support" the camera base, and it gets pretty tiresome after prolonged use in that manner.

The extended dynamic range in the S3Pro is not a farce! I've taken pictures of wedding gowns with both the D70 and the S3Pro before (keeping conditions constant side by side); guess which CCD preserved the highlight details better? Jpeg vs. Jpeg, the S3Pro gives a lot of cameras stiff competition. I've compared its jpegs with a 1DM2 for color performance, and the S3Pro images were more receptive. In addition to that, the S3Pro's noise levels at ISO1600 are unbelieveable! Visible noise is amazingly low.

For more information on testing pls visit: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/S3/S3PIMATEST.HTM

Battery performance on the S3Pro is ok. Not bad considering the usage of AA NIMH batteries. Azure has managed to squeeze out 500 images before the batteries start to give up, while i've only managed to do half of that during weddings. So, battery performance really depends on what you're doing with the camera.

I'm going to stop here, and let someone else continue. Time for breakfast!

I tried my partner's s3 before. the color is really very nice.

But I find browsing through all the images is not fast enough. (me impatient)

When deleting images, there is an animated fade-away screen which I dun really like.

I like its built-in vertical grip. Nice to hold.

The shutter button on the vertical grip has to be activated first before using, right? By press-and-hold right? correct me if i am wrong. At first I thought the shutter can be pressed instantly.
    Last edited by Paul_Yeo; 12th October 2005 at 09:55 AM.

I got a D70s too... I was shooting a wedding with a S3pro that day... The only flaw is its speed... 5frames/sec compared to 3frames/sec did made alot of diff...

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by wilsonang
    I got a D70s too... I was shooting a wedding with a S3pro that day... The only flaw is its speed... 5frames/sec compared to 3frames/sec did made alot of diff...
    iirc, both the S3 Pro & the D70s are 3fps.

neither is 5fps

HI,

There's no brand disloyalty here, both are nikon f mount

lolz anyway, it depends much on what you are shooting. If you do mainly potraits (studio or outdoor), landscapes or weddings, the colours are AMAZING. I do not have to spend so much time post-processing to begin with. Most of the time, I do not even shoot RAW unless absolutely needed hence smaller files I guess.In addition, most of my lenses seem to focus faster when compared with the D70s as well. I do not have a problem with in-between shots as well. I do not view each and every individual picture after taking hence I get around 350-400 shots with the batts that came with the set.

IMHO, it seems that the S3 Pro is pretty much better than the D70s in almost every way at least for my needs other than the slow image preview and deletion.

Hope I helped in some way.

I know for sure that the S3pro is better than the S2pro. Most people will not disagree with this.

Last year, I bought a second hand S2pro at a higher price than a new D70 with kit lens. That'll tell you my stand on the D70 vs S3pro.

I can only wish for the SuperCCD in an F5/F6 body...

Hi all!!

Thanks for the generous information. I think its a step forward but not as painful as going up to the D2X.

I will have to see for myself if the handling is ok before i take the plunge.

Thanks again!

YOu will love s3pro

one grip i've heard over and over again from s3 users is the suuuperrrr slowwwwww reviewing of pictues..
    but then again, that's it.
    of course, the ultra responsive shutter feel of the D2 is damn tempting.. haha
    sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by markccm
    iirc, both the S3 Pro & the D70s are 3fps.

neither is 5fps
    ops... was talking about d2x... din made myself clear...

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by wilsonang
    ops... was talking about d2x... din made myself clear...
    D2x can go up to 8fps on HSCM

hhmmm tts something new to me...

HI,

Care to share the offer you're getting from MS Colour ?

Quote Originally Posted by yellowdog
    Care to share the offer you're getting from MS Colour ?
    Bro, its on their website. $2999.

Hey kidzz, when are u getting it?
    It is easier to critique than to create ; www.razin-photography.com
    My studio is available for rent

Deregistered

What is their website url huh ? thank