Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PD70X or DIGIMATE PLUS II??

Default Re: PD70X or DIGIMATE PLUS II??

I own the digimate too.
    Size is much more smaller than PD70X due to the build in batt.
    Tranfer speed for my full 1GB 80X Lexar took around 5mins if I am not wrong.
    Once digimate connected to the PC USB port, charging of batt also started.

I own a PD70X too... impressive piece of device and fast transfer... Buten then the batt (Sanyo 2500) seems to discharge fast (not 1 day) too... I have seen donchua's Digimate too... a nice smaller size one. It is not bad with USB enable charging. So it all depends on your usage type. If just for storage purpose, and cost is an issue... then gets the DigiMate.

Just to know if this Digimate intenal batt is what type? Litium Ion?

Quote Originally Posted by enghong17
    The PD70X stores my Lexar 1GB 80X in abt 3mins. Super fast, if u need it that fast.........prob is that sometimes your AA batts may not be strong enough for USB transfer and have to use charger.
    I am using the PD70, very fast, transfer abt 1/2 of my UltraII 1GB at abt 1+ min. Not prob tranfering to my laptop using the USB.

Eastgear selling at $249 for the casing alone, had a spare 80GB HDD lying around and inserted into the casing (as suggested by the sales person)- worked wonders. Never left home without it now! If you buy the casing, and own 40/80GB HDD, cheaper.

Anyone using Ipod photo as a photo storage? Sorry for the OT but I am considering to use that instead of a dedicated one which I may only use once in a while. Also the ability to play mp3 will be another reason for me to carry it ard all the time. Can anyone tell me their experince on it? Good??

Just FYI. DIGIMATE PLUS II cost me sgd 50 from china. I got 1 just to try it out. Pretty satisfied with it for the price. However, the card insertion portion, especially the CF part do not seem to be very well built. It is rather easy to bend the pins while inserting the card so care is needed.

So if anyone is going to china, can help out with a mass order. hehe

Quote Originally Posted by Max 2.8
    There's some shops in SLS selling Digimate II at $75.

I using Digimate II, good enough.
    Where is it selling?? Feel like picking one up...
    Does it do file verigication after copying??
    Thanks.

Hi, i am just wondering other than the price differece, is there any other reason that you choosing DIGIMATE than PD70x?

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by ericpooi
    I am using PD70X. My initial experiences was bad but according to East Gear, this rarely happens, saying the ones I had must be lemons

The copying speed is no doubt the fastest and best I have seen!!! My full 2GB takes about 4 minutes using Lexar 80X (no more than 5 certainly), 1GB about 2 mins, no more...

I suffer two problems with different sets. The 1st set couldn't read my harddisk (Fujitsu), they replaced for me without question. The 2nd one has battery problem, even using a fully charged 2500 Sanyo battery, the set can die on me within a day, I didn't use the set at all!!

As for the 2nd one, they told me there is a problem with my set and they again replaced a new one. I have yet to collect it from East Gear. They have tested at their end for a few days to ensure that it is working well.

Having said the above, I check with friends who are using this set and all of them are satisfied without the above problem (enghong17: can confirmed too?).

One more thing to add: East Gear service is beyond excellent!! They are extremely helpful and willing to test the set on my behalf, change the set without questions, etc. Really hard to find excellent service these days.

I guess sometimes, technology stuff need some luck ya?
    I bought one last month and brought it along for a long trip.
    Previous I had a PD7X as well.

General experience with the 2 sets :

1) Touchy with USB ports in PC.
    Both wouldn't talk to my VIA USB ports, but works fine with NEC chipset USB ports.
    I have a laptop using Intel USB chipset, works fine with PD7X but no go with the PD70X.
    This really caused much frustration, I end up moving the hard disk to a normal portable harddisk casing to be read by the PC. And all this is done using AC power.

2) Short battery life.
    I download photos every 2-3 days, each time is something like 500-800MB. With the PD7X it wasn't that bad, I can download 4-5GB typically within a week before I have battery low. With the PD70X, after a fresh charge of battery, at best, I get to download 1GB of data. The next time I try to power up, within 3 days of a fresh charge, it couldn't spin up the hard disk, obviously that means I can forget about copying. End up most copying is done using AC power.

Perhaps my unit have a problem, and I will try checking with eastgear and see how it goes.

Anyone know exactly which shop in SLS selling the Digimate Plus II? Thought of getting it later this evening.. or should I wait until Sitex? By the way, when is Sitex ah?

Deregistered

I'm using the digimate plus ii, but do beware on AMD chipset systems, the connection does drop after a while, copying like 10GB of files will only successfully get past maybe 2GB then it stops there and after a while drops out.

Works flawlessly on my office Intel machine and my PowerBook though.

Works fine on nforce3 AMD chipset. Copied over 15GB yesterday.... which AMD chipset was that?? Should be quite useful to list here.

Some USB implementations do not adhere to strict USB power considerations and result in USB powered devices having uneven power and will shut down.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Zplus
    Works fine on nforce3 AMD chipset. Copied over 15GB yesterday.... which AMD chipset was that?? Should be quite useful to list here.

Some USB implementations do not adhere to strict USB power considerations and result in USB powered devices having uneven power and will shut down.
    I used it on an Asus P5a and currently running on a Asus A8V-E deluxe, both gave me same issues.

According to jnet6, also a same digimate model user, he faces the same issues on the AMD chipset.
    Last edited by espn; 24th October 2005 at 04:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    I used it on an Asus P5a and currently running on a Asus A8V-E deluxe, both gave me same issues.

According to jnet6, also a same digimate model user, he faces the same issues on the AMD chipset.
    I got 2 pc using Abit NF7 board with Nvidia Chipset.
    1 pc got problem like "high speed devices plug in low speed USB" some thing like that,
    but after re-start pc no problem liao.
    Sometime once plug in the Digimate, it will auto off it self.
    Got to change port or restart pc again. Don't know board or WinXP problem.
    2nd pc no such problem at all but that just my backup pc..

Quote Originally Posted by donchua
    I got 2 pc using Abit NF7 board with Nvidia Chipset.
    1 pc got problem like "high speed devices plug in low speed USB" some thing like that,
    but after re-start pc no problem liao.
    Sometime once plug in the Digimate, it will auto off it self.
    Got to change port or restart pc again. Don't know board or WinXP problem.
    2nd pc no such problem at all but that just my backup pc..
    I have this problem if I plug the digimate to a usb extension wire.

If I were to connect the digimate directly to the usb port, there is no such problem.

Quote Originally Posted by TopGun
    I have this problem if I plug the digimate to a usb extension wire.

If I were to connect the digimate directly to the usb port, there is no such problem.

Hmm, I plug mine in my pc case front port.
    No wander sometime I switch to rear port, no problem..

Quote Originally Posted by Max 2.8
    I not selling this thing lah. But I open up the digimate before, its replaceable, like the ipod battery. I think can buy from Sim Lim Tower.

Anyway, it will take a long while for the battery to die.

Of course, you pay more, you get better thing lor
    I also opened up my digimate.
    The batt was wrapped in black plastic.
    Any idea of the voltage?

Quote Originally Posted by espn

Yes, tried on a P4 machine, no hicups... strange...
    but nvm... as long as can backup CFs to HDD safely and fast,
    transfering data from HDD to pc can be done in anyway no need the interface from digimate

*my digimate doesn't work well on my mac too, stretching my head...

Quote Originally Posted by enghong17
    Hi ericpooi,

I do not have your 1st problem but my batts seem to die out fast too but certainly not within a day but i think that's the problem with the Sanyo batteries that came along with it. Heard about the discharge problem. No problems when using Energizer batts.

BTW i din get mine from Eastgear, mine from a MO here.......and i found out i could have gotten it the same price at South Asia. Its abt $220 the last time i saw it for casing.

Just realised from a friend who is also using PD70X that we should not use rechargeable battery for that matter as its output is only 1.2V instead of 1.5V. As such, using Alkaline batteries are fine.

However, he has also tested the set using Sanyo 2300 or lower and there seems to be less of a problem.

Hope the above helps the PD70X users....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ericpooi
    Just realised from a friend who is also using PD70X that we should not use rechargeable battery for that matter as its output is only 1.2V instead of 1.5V. As such, using Alkaline batteries are fine.

However, he has also tested the set using Sanyo 2300 or lower and there seems to be less of a problem.

Hope the above helps the PD70X users....
    izit? i use mine with sanyo 2500 (now konnoc 2500) without problems leh.
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

I have both the PD70X and Digimate. Let's forget about file transfer speed or compatibility issues. I will never buy or depend on a digimate ever again, have more problems with it in one week that I went out and got my PD70X, now I am happy.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast