Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Does it really make it difference?

  1. #1

    Question Does it really make it difference?

    Hi all,

    What's the difference between a Tokina UV filter and a more expensive Hoya one? I mean, is the price difference really justifiable? Are images using Hoya UV filters noticeably better?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    beebox
    Posts
    2,078

    Default Re: Does it really make it difference?

    i can't really see any diff from diff brand of UV filters..

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    2,504

    Default Re: Does it really make it difference?

    it would make a diff for film cams. film is sensitive to UV light and so photos may have a blue cast. correct me if im wrong but digi cam sensors do not pick up UV light, or if they do, they pick up very little

    ppl put filters so protect the front element. and the reasoning is simple: if im gonna buy a $500 lens, why put a $8 uncoated filter on it? might as well get a hoya HMC that is quite decently priced too

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Thomson
    Posts
    1,176

    Default Re: Does it really make it difference?

    I thot Hoya UV Filters were OEM made by Tokina?

  5. #5
    Senior Member Cheesecake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    I live in a haunted house!!!!!
    Posts
    16,385

    Default Re: Does it really make it difference?

    Quote Originally Posted by retrospect
    Hi all,

    What's the difference between a Tokina UV filter and a more expensive Hoya one? I mean, is the price difference really justifiable? Are images using Hoya UV filters noticeably better?
    the truth is, my weary and blurry eyes can't see a difference.
    don't give me the 'put ur filter on a white piece of paper test'. the sensors and films/slides are not pieces of paper.

    even on film and slides, i can't see any difference between brands of filters.
    maybe there are differences which my eyes failed to pick up.

    maybe i'm getting old.
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

  6. #6

    Default Re: Does it really make it difference?

    Quote Originally Posted by eel
    I thot Hoya UV Filters were OEM made by Tokina?
    yup, both same same
    in fact, all brands also same same...

    do a search, there were countless battles fought here over this topic...
    web | blog | fb | ig

  7. #7
    Senior Member jOhO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,485

    Default Re: Does it really make it difference?

    Quote Originally Posted by Isaiahfortythirtyone
    it would make a diff for film cams. film is sensitive to UV light and so photos may have a blue cast. correct me if im wrong but digi cam sensors do not pick up UV light, or if they do, they pick up very little

    ppl put filters so protect the front element. and the reasoning is simple: if im gonna buy a $500 lens, why put a $8 uncoated filter on it? might as well get a hoya HMC that is quite decently priced too
    i think for digital cams there's a UV filter or lowpass filter just on top of the sensor to serve this purpose.

    as for still using a filter, yeap i guess most pple do it for protection. me too!

    and u're prob right on using at least a coated filter for expensive lenses with alot of coating too, to reduce internal reflections right?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •