Thread: Need comments on sunset shots.

Default Need comments on sunset shots.

need critique on this newbie shot.....

Default Re: Need comments on sunset shots.

Quote Originally Posted by JediForce4ever
    need critique on this newbie shot.....
    I don't like the framing. The buildings stick into the frame as if they were unwanted artefacts. It looks like you tried to avoid any foreground, as the camera was apparently tilted upwards.

If the cityscape cannot be avoided, one might as well include it and make it part of the picture. Some kind of foreground is needed anyway to give the eye someting to rest on - colourful sky on its own is pretty boring. The buildings would also look better if vertical lines were depicted as verticals.

Contrast/brightness also could do with some adjustments to bring more of the objects in the picture out. It looks a bit muddy/dull.

Sorry if all this sounds very negative. I'm trying to be helpful.

The buildings tend to get in the way and doesnt add to the mood of the picture. For cases like this, if you cant get to a different place to shoot from, I suggest using a telephoto to just shoot the nice colour and texture of the clouds..

Hope it helps

well, i guess it a matter of either moving in closer or moving back wider...

but ur pic could do with a little more contrast like what littlewolf mentioned, colours are a bit dull..

i think all the comments given above are pretty much on the spot. i would just like to add that if sometimes nothing else works, then try something creative like framing in a very different way even if it means tilting the horizon. such shots sometimes look interesting.

in this case probably you could have tilted the camera clockwise to exclude the 2 buildings on the left and get the orange streak of light going diagonally across the frame with the building on the right heavily tilted.

kashi