Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My first attempt on FZ5

Default Re: My first attempt on FZ5

I had the same experience on my FZ5-> set Aperture mode, f8, snap and found the pics to be underexposed, with the shutter speed fixed at 1s. Had suspected there is some shutter limit, but why at 1s and not longer? Also quite frustrating that there is no warning by the cam. Guess I should take in manual mode next time, but it'll require pressing of a few more buttons on the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by unseen
    LOL i'm sorry.. i forgot that there is a shutter limit on the FZ for aperture mode.... Can't exactly remember..
    in that case... manual mode is the best!!
    LOL

*blush* sorry, kinda used to my new cam. the aperture mode is kinda not limited...

dominator => no ND filter, -ev won't help. -ev is just = to shortening your shutter speed or making your aperture bigger or down your iso. it's just auto compensation. There's no way around it.

ND filter allows you to open your shutter for much longer with same aperture, and iso
    maybe due to individual la. i remember setting on the FZ3 i used -ev when in malaysia. that time i wanted to take silky effect on waterfall and even setting at f8.0 1/2s also over exposed...so set to -ev and gave 1sec.
    but too bad, no photos to show because gave the cam to my friend and photo in her laptop
    maybe i will try someday if got chance with my cam.
    Cleanse your thoughts, not by the foods you eat.

Quote Originally Posted by wmelon
    I had the same experience on my FZ5-> set Aperture mode, f8, snap and found the pics to be underexposed, with the shutter speed fixed at 1s. Had suspected there is some shutter limit, but why at 1s and not longer? Also quite frustrating that there is no warning by the cam. Guess I should take in manual mode next time, but it'll require pressing of a few more buttons on the camera.
    The histogram is a good warning. it is provided there for a purpose
    Cleanse your thoughts, not by the foods you eat.

Quote Originally Posted by dominator
    maybe due to individual la. i remember setting on the FZ3 i used -ev when in malaysia. that time i wanted to take silky effect on waterfall and even setting at f8.0 1/2s also over exposed...so set to -ev and gave 1sec.
    but too bad, no photos to show because gave the cam to my friend and photo in her laptop
    maybe i will try someday if got chance with my cam.
    ???
    i think most prob the ISO is on auto ba..

F8.0, 1/2s, -1ev = F8.0, 1/4s

That's a fact that cannot be changed. If F8 1/2s is the correct exposure, then by setting -1ev, your camera will purposely meter for 1 stop less light, which is F8 1/4s

that's how the camera works. The only way the FZ3 could have used 1s is if the ISO was set automatically.

Quote Originally Posted by wmelon
    got warning.
    the shutterspeed/aperture value turns red.
    the histogram turns yellow. => can't rem who tell me one, but it makes sense. when yellow, it means that the metering got problem, cannot be 100% trusted.

goodness knows why they set the 1s limit. guess everyone better read up about the exposure meter and how to use it.
    Last edited by unseen; 12th October 2005 at 10:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by unseen
    er.. i meant to show that by setting to f8.0 you'll getthe longest shutter speed possible.
    which in this case is 1s.
    he can of course set to F4.0, but that'll just mean shorter shutter speed.
    so in order to get the longest shutter speed, set to F8.0 and you'll get it.

if using shutter priority, like donkuok mentioned, even 2 seconds may be too much.
    If you use F8, the shutter speed you don't need to think about it.
    however if you use shutter priority, you need to think if your shutter is too long for the particular composition.
    yup I think I got what you mean.

I suppose the shutter speed has a greater effect on exposure than aperture, and that's why we control the latter instead and let the camera do the rest?

lol
    not really. My example was taken in the context that the camera compensates for the full range of shutter speed, which is not thru, thus it means there's possibility of underexposure

longer shutter speed, more light go through = more light
    In photography, each stop = twice as much light as the previous stop.
    at 1s, 2s = 1 stop more, 1/2s = 1 stop less.

smaller aperture number, bigger hole = more light
    Each aperture stop is roughly root 2 times the current value
    root 2 is roughly = 1.4
    1.4, 1.4*1.4 = 2, 2, 1.4 = 2.8, 2.8*1.4 = 4, 4*1.4 = 5.6, 5.6*1.4=8, and so on...

exposure is just the balancing of these 2 values.
    smaller hole needs longer shutter time. bigger, shorter.
    that's all.
    Last edited by unseen; 13th October 2005 at 01:18 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12