Thread: DIY AF illumination

Wink DIY AF illumination

Just wondering...for all those out there that have DC without AF illumination, ever wonder how can a DIY illuminator be attached to your DC?

I was thinking can I attach a LED light on the side of a DC powered by a "flat" battery work.......

Default Re: DIY AF illumination

Originally posted by Paladin
    Just wondering...for all those out there that have DC without AF illumination, ever wonder how can a DIY illuminator be attached to your DC?

I was thinking can I attach a LED light on the side of a DC powered by a "flat" battery work.......
    er... is it possible? i tried using small torch but no help at all, wonder must it be something like my sony AF illuminator, kind of red laser light?

For this to work, you will need the light to project some sort of a grid, something high contrast for the camera's AF system to lock on, then trigger the AF mechanism, then turn off the light. Not easy.

Regards
    CK

I have read about success using laser pointers, as long as you do not point it at someone's eye.

The problem with using a laser pointer is to align the spot with the AF area of the camera.

What is more annoying (with torch, LED or laser) is the fact that you have to turn it on separately instead of triggering it when you half-press the shutter release button.

To be able to trigger the AF assist by the shutter release button you would have to modify the camera somehow to tap the shutter button release electrical contacts.
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

have thought of building one, using multiple IR leds, and switch can be activated by the thumb perhaps? (put where the right thumb sits)

cos...FZ1 dun haf AF assist to...

after exams prob will go sim lim towers to buy stuff to try build...but anyone has any schematics or any info on such a device?

The Use Of A Laser Pointer To Focus In Dim Light
    http://www.outdooreyes.com/photo76.php3

Quote Originally Posted by zodnm
    The Use Of A Laser Pointer To Focus In Dim Light
    http://www.outdooreyes.com/photo76.php3
    hmmm..true...heard of it too..

but usually when you use the laser pointer, it'd disturb the subject (if it's a live one), whereas for IR, the subject won't know, until the flash comes (then it'll be too late for the subject to react! )

well...at least for pple i guess...not sure whether animals will be affected by near IR LEDs anot...anyone tried anthing in night safari there?

Quote Originally Posted by rayfoo
    hmmm..true...heard of it too..

but usually when you use the laser pointer, it'd disturb the subject (if it's a live one), whereas for IR, the subject won't know, until the flash comes (then it'll be too late for the subject to react! )

well...at least for pple i guess...not sure whether animals will be affected by near IR LEDs anot...anyone tried anthing in night safari there?
    The red light used by camera's AF assist is not infrared. IR is not visible. The red AF light is visible, and has to be for the AF system to "see" it. So in terms of whether it disturbs the subject or not, I don't think it is any better/worst than other visible light.

Quote Originally Posted by chriszzz
    The red light used by camera's AF assist is not infrared. IR is not visible. The red AF light is visible, and has to be for the AF system to "see" it. So in terms of whether it disturbs the subject or not, I don't think it is any better/worst than other visible light.
    well it's true that AF assists use visible red/white light, but the ccd's can also detect IR (tried with my remote control, works pretty well), so if we're gonna build one, might as well make one that won't disturb pple in that sense? yeah, but of course after you have taken the photo, the whole world will know lah!