Thread: 2nd-hand DSLR : what to look for?

Default 2nd-hand DSLR : what to look for?

Finally save and earn a bit of $$ to buy 2nd DSLR...

I am lookig betw Canon 300D and Nikon 70D. Just to take picture of me and frens and sometimes nice places. Budget only $1300-1400.
    Can the bros and sis here advise what I must look out for? TIA!

Default Re: 2nd-hand DSLR : what to look for?

Buy a new D50, more worth it.

Look out for shutter count, mirror sound and internal condition(CCD or CmOS).

Do a few shoot on the spot and transfer to a computer to check.

If can ask for personal warrenty from the owner foto copy his IC if u want.

Blog Entries

well, if Germinc has saved enuf for either a canon 300D or a nikon D70, then yeah. makes sense to actually get a new nikon D50. saves the headache of worrying abt shutter count, dead/hot pixels etc.. etc...

nevertheless, germic - do take some time and think thru wat u are going to shoot MOST often, not HOPE to shoot most often. perhaps, after thinking thru, u might not need a DSLR after all. think this has been repeated ad nasuem here - u are going to spend a lot lot lot lot more than just the initial $1K.... with the amt u've saved so far, at best u might get a basic DSLR kit set and not much left over for a decently sized fast speed CF card, bag, flash etc..
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

if u have $1300, i suggest that u just go for minolta 5D. anti shake, 18-70 kit lens 3.5-4.5 (this lens has good reviews from steves-digicams) and comes bundled with 1GB of Kingston CF.

just buy a nice lowepro case and you're off shooting pictures.

well of course u cld get a 2nd hand 300D for $800 and spend the remaining $500 on lens upgrades, but of course, there are always risks involved buying 2nd hand.

New D50
    KM 5D
    2nd Hand 300D
    2nd hand D70
    2nd hand
    but you say that you just going to shoot friends and nice places.....why not go for a prosumer??

if u don't need the long zoom ... and shooting nice places and friends ... u'll probably want a wide angle right? ... the oly8080 has had excellent reviews =) ... wide angle too or nikon 8400 or 5400 wide zooms ...

also don't have to deal with any dust problem =)

Thanks everybody.
    I'm thinking of Canon or Nikon bcoz my frenz using also can share lens and things like that. Mebbe I look at D50 then. Hope to go shoping next week then.

Another dumb qn - where to look for shutter count?

Quote Originally Posted by Germinc
    Thanks everybody.
    I'm thinking of Canon or Nikon bcoz my frenz using also can share lens and things like that. Mebbe I look at D50 then. Hope to go shoping next week then.

u wanna share lens? i advise u to think twice. if spoilt how? who gets the blame? ur talkin abt eqpt that potentially costs $1000+ leh.

and besides, if u get a KM5D, id say the 18-70 is a very decent general purpose walkabout lens already. add one mre APO sigma 70-300 u get a full range coverage. how many more lenses u wanna share?

Quote Originally Posted by Germinc
    Thanks everybody.

D50? .. get the 18-55 kit lens and the 55-200 and u're on your way =)

or just get the kit and sell the 18-55, get the 18-70 and 70-300G (for budget) or ED or the sigma 70-300 and you're on your way for a while ...

bear in mind ... for DSLR .. u'll probably want an external flash after a month or two ... then you'll get hit by the BBB virus and lust for f/2.8 lenses ... and perhaps the nikon trinity ...

Quote Originally Posted by Expiredyoghurt
    D50? .. get the 18-55 kit lens and the 55-200 and u're on your way =)

or just get the kit and sell the 18-55, get the 18-70 and 70-300G (for budget) or ED or the sigma 70-300 and you're on your way for a while ...

bear in mind ... for DSLR .. u'll probably want an external flash after a month or two ... then you'll get hit by the BBB virus and lust for f/2.8 lenses ... and perhaps the nikon trinity ...
    I think i just got hit by the BBB virus. now going for f/2.8 lenses. tamron 28 - 75mm f/2.8
    Any healers out there ?

Thank you all. I bougth a D50 kit.

Congrats...now to go out and shoot and buy buy buy....!!!