Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any good Expresso Machines to recommend?

Default Any good Expresso Machines to recommend?

Thinking of getting an expresso machine for home use. Any good ones to recommend? Seen stuffs like Jura, Saeco and Krups in departmental stores. Budget's around $1.8K.

Is it true that die hards will never buy fully automatic expresso machines? hehe.

Default Re: Any good Expresso Machines to recommend?

No one drinks expresso here?

My cousin got the saeco's fully auto expresso machine ~$2400 (that was last year's launch price). Its really good!!! Just buy good beans, use fresh milk and bottled water (not tap water), and in a matter of minutes, you get freshly brewed coffee with no tears at all.

If you have the budget, go for the high end ones, avoid the low end ones. Your 1.8k will get you good stuff.

If you have time, go get the plunger (that's what I use) or the stove-expresso (that's what my aunty uses. Get WMF or Bodem). It takes just a lil bit more effort, but when you get good coffee beans/powder ... its the same thing (IMHO).

Making a good cup of expresso is not easy. You need to do a lot of research to get something that will meet your needs. A good website is:
    http://www.wholelattelove.com/

Many of the models in the website are not available in Singapore. The most important thing you can learn from the website is what are the things to look out for when buying an automatic machine. For example, do you need a double boiler? Do you need the bean hopper to be air tight? Do you need cup warmers? etc etc.

After buying, you need to know how to maximise your machine. Remember, there is a difference between thick coffee and expresso. There is also such a thing as "over-extraction". These info are all found on that website.

Among the machines available in Singapore, I personally like the Saeco Incanto series. The entire brew group of the Incanto can be removed and cleaned. Numerous other brands will tell you that the cleaning is "automatic". Personally, I trust my own cleaning. Remember, the machine is damp and molds can grow inside if you are not careful. So, I feel better when I can rip out the guts and clean everything.
    Last edited by jumbocrab; 10th October 2005 at 08:15 PM.

Not just getting a good machine will make good coffee.

Regular maintanence of the machine is essential too. I have a friend who sells coffee machines to restaurants and coffee house but it's way out of your budget. Anyway, he told me a good coffee machine needs a good regular cleaning up of the machine. So even if you purchase an expenive one, without proper care your coffee taste will taste bland after a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro Image

Regular maintanence of the machine is essential too. I have a friend who sells coffee machines to restaurants and coffee house but it's way out of your budget. Anyway, he told me a good coffee machine needs a good regular cleaning up of the machine. So even if you purchase an expenive one, without proper care your coffee taste will taste bland after a while.
    Is that why the die hards like Paul Basset don't go for fully-auto machines? hehe

I'm kindda eyeing the Saeco series coz folks (not salespersons) been telling me that cleaning is quite easy. The Saeco Sirrus series is like $2.4k+, will have to justify to wifey why need to spend that kind of $$$. Any feedback on that series?

Quote Originally Posted by jumbocrab
    Making a good cup of expresso is not easy. You need to do a lot of research to get something that will meet your needs. A good website is:
    http://www.wholelattelove.com/
    wah..thanks for the link, never know got so much things to read about making a cup of kopi

after reading a few articles, now then i know that I have been using the few thousands dollar machine in office in the wrong way
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

Quote Originally Posted by canturn
    Is that why the die hards like Paul Basset don't go for fully-auto machines? hehe

I'm kindda eyeing the Saeco series coz folks (not salespersons) been telling me that cleaning is quite easy. The Saeco Sirrus series is like $2.4k+, will have to justify to wifey why need to spend that kind of $$$. Any feedback on that series?
    It's easy.....if your wife is a coffee lover, then it's easier to persuade her. Heehee.........

Quote Originally Posted by Wai
    wah..thanks for the link, never know got so much things to read about making a cup of kopi

after reading a few articles, now then i know that I have been using the few thousands dollar machine in office in the wrong way
    Which articles did u read?

No one drinks expresso here?
    I'm not sure abt Expresso (since all these new terms start springing up when Starbucks became the hottest joint in town 10yrs ago), but coffee is juz coffee to me.

If I want those chocolate-flavoured coffee, I'll hop over to Coffee Beans for one of those $5 Ice Coffee that tastes like cold chocolate milkshake.

No hard feelings man. But den I can't taste the diff between and Expresso and Cuppacino so $1.8K on this 'expresso machine' (sounds like instant coffee machine) sounds a little like an overkill to me.

How abt those normal coffee makers? I think they can do the job as well?
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    I'm not sure abt Expresso (since all these new terms start springing up when Starbucks became the hottest joint in town 10yrs ago), but coffee is juz coffee to me.

If I want those chocolate-flavoured coffee, I'll hop over to Coffee Beans for one of those $5 Ice Coffee that tastes like cold chocolate milkshake.

No hard feelings man. But den I can't taste the diff between and Expresso and Cuppacino so $1.8K on this 'expresso machine' (sounds like instant coffee machine) sounds a little like an overkill to me.

How abt those normal coffee makers? I think they can do the job as well?
    Akin to whether to buy L lenses if you can't tell the diff between L lenses and normal EF lenses

Anyone using the Saeco Vienna series? That's like $1.1k, I can live with the plasticky built. Any comments on that machine?

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    i have been using the espresso machine in office the wrong way...press a button, coffee come out...add creamer and sugar and stir

but then it still taste better than any 3-in-1 coffee, not sour, less bitter, more creamy and smell great

go try it...u will never want to drink your nescafe 3-in-1 anymore

tml i am going to practise steaming the milk

Erm... The last time I tried the Expresso machine the coffee came out and I thought its already premixed and all, tasted it and phew... I never drank such horribly bitter coffee before. I steeled my nerves and downed it once and for all.

I swear even Iced Coffee with no milk, no sugar, no creamer tastes better.

P/S: U mean u don't have to actually stir in milk, sugar and creamer after pressing the button? But its sooo.... BITTER!!! ARGH!

Anyone using the Saeco Vienna series? That's like $1.1k, I can live with the plasticky built. Any comments on that machine?
    i am using the magic series

http://products.saeco.com/articolo.a...62&id_colore=9

Akin to whether to buy L lenses if you can't tell the diff between L lenses and normal EF lenses
    Hmm I guess dat analogy fits in.

I may sound mean here but akin to the problem of 'len' and 'lens', it is not 'expresso'. The correct word to use here I believe should be 'espresso'.

Quote Originally Posted by CaeSiuM
    I may sound mean here but akin to the problem of 'len' and 'lens', it is not 'expresso'. The correct word to use here I believe should be 'espresso'.

hey man, it's kopitiam chat

Ehh... piggyback a qn?
    I dun have $1k++ to buy a coffee machine.

But I wanna get those stove top distillation thing, where can I get 1? (cheap)

Thanks..

Quote Originally Posted by Pro Image

Yes, that is precisely why I like the Incanto series. You can pull out the entire brew group and dunk it in water to clean it. I don't like automatic cleaning.

Is that why the die hards like Paul Basset don't go for fully-auto machines?
    Everyone have their own taste preference. But it is not true that automatics don't produce good espresso. Read this:
    http://www.wholelattelove.com/commun...&enterthread=y

The most important thing that an auto machine can give you is consistency. And to get consistency, you need to experiment and experiment. And you need to know how to maintain and clean your machine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast