Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: Any good Expresso Machines to recommend?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    East, SG
    Posts
    2,641

    Default Any good Expresso Machines to recommend?

    Thinking of getting an expresso machine for home use. Any good ones to recommend? Seen stuffs like Jura, Saeco and Krups in departmental stores. Budget's around $1.8K.

    Is it true that die hards will never buy fully automatic expresso machines? hehe.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    East, SG
    Posts
    2,641

    Default Re: Any good Expresso Machines to recommend?

    No one drinks expresso here?

  3. #3

    Default Re: Any good Expresso Machines to recommend?

    My cousin got the saeco's fully auto expresso machine ~$2400 (that was last year's launch price). Its really good!!! Just buy good beans, use fresh milk and bottled water (not tap water), and in a matter of minutes, you get freshly brewed coffee with no tears at all.

    If you have the budget, go for the high end ones, avoid the low end ones. Your 1.8k will get you good stuff.

    If you have time, go get the plunger (that's what I use) or the stove-expresso (that's what my aunty uses. Get WMF or Bodem). It takes just a lil bit more effort, but when you get good coffee beans/powder ... its the same thing (IMHO).

  4. #4

    Default Re: Any good Expresso Machines to recommend?

    Making a good cup of expresso is not easy. You need to do a lot of research to get something that will meet your needs. A good website is:
    http://www.wholelattelove.com/

    Many of the models in the website are not available in Singapore. The most important thing you can learn from the website is what are the things to look out for when buying an automatic machine. For example, do you need a double boiler? Do you need the bean hopper to be air tight? Do you need cup warmers? etc etc.

    After buying, you need to know how to maximise your machine. Remember, there is a difference between thick coffee and expresso. There is also such a thing as "over-extraction". These info are all found on that website.

    Among the machines available in Singapore, I personally like the Saeco Incanto series. The entire brew group of the Incanto can be removed and cleaned. Numerous other brands will tell you that the cleaning is "automatic". Personally, I trust my own cleaning. Remember, the machine is damp and molds can grow inside if you are not careful. So, I feel better when I can rip out the guts and clean everything.
    Last edited by jumbocrab; 10th October 2005 at 08:15 PM.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Last planet from the sun
    Posts
    2,822

    Default Re: Any good Expresso Machines to recommend?

    Not just getting a good machine will make good coffee.

    Regular maintanence of the machine is essential too. I have a friend who sells coffee machines to restaurants and coffee house but it's way out of your budget. Anyway, he told me a good coffee machine needs a good regular cleaning up of the machine. So even if you purchase an expenive one, without proper care your coffee taste will taste bland after a while.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    East, SG
    Posts
    2,641

    Default Re: Any good Expresso Machines to recommend?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pro Image
    Not just getting a good machine will make good coffee.

    Regular maintanence of the machine is essential too. I have a friend who sells coffee machines to restaurants and coffee house but it's way out of your budget. Anyway, he told me a good coffee machine needs a good regular cleaning up of the machine. So even if you purchase an expenive one, without proper care your coffee taste will taste bland after a while.
    Is that why the die hards like Paul Basset don't go for fully-auto machines? hehe

    I'm kindda eyeing the Saeco series coz folks (not salespersons) been telling me that cleaning is quite easy. The Saeco Sirrus series is like $2.4k+, will have to justify to wifey why need to spend that kind of $$$. Any feedback on that series?

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    South Pole with Penguin
    Posts
    5,270

    Default Re: Any good Expresso Machines to recommend?

    Quote Originally Posted by jumbocrab
    Making a good cup of expresso is not easy. You need to do a lot of research to get something that will meet your needs. A good website is:
    http://www.wholelattelove.com/
    wah..thanks for the link, never know got so much things to read about making a cup of kopi

    after reading a few articles, now then i know that I have been using the few thousands dollar machine in office in the wrong way
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Last planet from the sun
    Posts
    2,822

    Default Re: Any good Expresso Machines to recommend?

    Quote Originally Posted by canturn
    Is that why the die hards like Paul Basset don't go for fully-auto machines? hehe

    I'm kindda eyeing the Saeco series coz folks (not salespersons) been telling me that cleaning is quite easy. The Saeco Sirrus series is like $2.4k+, will have to justify to wifey why need to spend that kind of $$$. Any feedback on that series?
    It's easy.....if your wife is a coffee lover, then it's easier to persuade her. Heehee.........

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    East, SG
    Posts
    2,641

    Default Re: Any good Expresso Machines to recommend?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wai
    wah..thanks for the link, never know got so much things to read about making a cup of kopi

    after reading a few articles, now then i know that I have been using the few thousands dollar machine in office in the wrong way
    Which articles did u read?

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: Any good Expresso Machines to recommend?

    Quote Originally Posted by canturn
    No one drinks expresso here?
    I'm not sure abt Expresso (since all these new terms start springing up when Starbucks became the hottest joint in town 10yrs ago), but coffee is juz coffee to me.

    If I want those chocolate-flavoured coffee, I'll hop over to Coffee Beans for one of those $5 Ice Coffee that tastes like cold chocolate milkshake.

    No hard feelings man. But den I can't taste the diff between and Expresso and Cuppacino so $1.8K on this 'expresso machine' (sounds like instant coffee machine) sounds a little like an overkill to me.

    How abt those normal coffee makers? I think they can do the job as well?
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    East, SG
    Posts
    2,641

    Default Re: Any good Expresso Machines to recommend?

    Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    I'm not sure abt Expresso (since all these new terms start springing up when Starbucks became the hottest joint in town 10yrs ago), but coffee is juz coffee to me.

    If I want those chocolate-flavoured coffee, I'll hop over to Coffee Beans for one of those $5 Ice Coffee that tastes like cold chocolate milkshake.

    No hard feelings man. But den I can't taste the diff between and Expresso and Cuppacino so $1.8K on this 'expresso machine' (sounds like instant coffee machine) sounds a little like an overkill to me.

    How abt those normal coffee makers? I think they can do the job as well?
    Akin to whether to buy L lenses if you can't tell the diff between L lenses and normal EF lenses

    Anyone using the Saeco Vienna series? That's like $1.1k, I can live with the plasticky built. Any comments on that machine?

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    South Pole with Penguin
    Posts
    5,270

    Default Re: Any good Expresso Machines to recommend?

    Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    No hard feelings man. But den I can't taste the diff between and Expresso and Cuppacino so $1.8K on this 'expresso machine' (sounds like instant coffee machine) sounds a little like an overkill to me.
    i have been using the espresso machine in office the wrong way...press a button, coffee come out...add creamer and sugar and stir

    but then it still taste better than any 3-in-1 coffee, not sour, less bitter, more creamy and smell great

    go try it...u will never want to drink your nescafe 3-in-1 anymore

    tml i am going to practise steaming the milk
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: Any good Expresso Machines to recommend?

    Erm... The last time I tried the Expresso machine the coffee came out and I thought its already premixed and all, tasted it and phew... I never drank such horribly bitter coffee before. I steeled my nerves and downed it once and for all.

    I swear even Iced Coffee with no milk, no sugar, no creamer tastes better.

    P/S: U mean u don't have to actually stir in milk, sugar and creamer after pressing the button? But its sooo.... BITTER!!! ARGH!
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    South Pole with Penguin
    Posts
    5,270

    Default Re: Any good Expresso Machines to recommend?

    Quote Originally Posted by canturn
    Anyone using the Saeco Vienna series? That's like $1.1k, I can live with the plasticky built. Any comments on that machine?
    i am using the magic series



    http://products.saeco.com/articolo.a...62&id_colore=9
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: Any good Expresso Machines to recommend?

    Quote Originally Posted by canturn
    Akin to whether to buy L lenses if you can't tell the diff between L lenses and normal EF lenses
    Hmm I guess dat analogy fits in.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

  16. #16

    Default Re: Any good Expresso Machines to recommend?

    I may sound mean here but akin to the problem of 'len' and 'lens', it is not 'expresso'. The correct word to use here I believe should be 'espresso'.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    East, SG
    Posts
    2,641

    Default Re: Any good Expresso Machines to recommend?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaeSiuM
    I may sound mean here but akin to the problem of 'len' and 'lens', it is not 'expresso'. The correct word to use here I believe should be 'espresso'.

    hey man, it's kopitiam chat

  18. #18

    Default Re: Any good Expresso Machines to recommend?

    Ehh... piggyback a qn?
    I dun have $1k++ to buy a coffee machine.

    But I wanna get those stove top distillation thing, where can I get 1? (cheap)

    Thanks..

  19. #19

    Default Re: Any good Expresso Machines to recommend?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pro Image
    Not just getting a good machine will make good coffee.

    Regular maintanence of the machine is essential too. I have a friend who sells coffee machines to restaurants and coffee house but it's way out of your budget. Anyway, he told me a good coffee machine needs a good regular cleaning up of the machine. So even if you purchase an expenive one, without proper care your coffee taste will taste bland after a while.
    Yes, that is precisely why I like the Incanto series. You can pull out the entire brew group and dunk it in water to clean it. I don't like automatic cleaning.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Any good Expresso Machines to recommend?

    Quote Originally Posted by canturn
    Is that why the die hards like Paul Basset don't go for fully-auto machines?
    Everyone have their own taste preference. But it is not true that automatics don't produce good espresso. Read this:
    http://www.wholelattelove.com/commun...&enterthread=y

    The most important thing that an auto machine can give you is consistency. And to get consistency, you need to experiment and experiment. And you need to know how to maintain and clean your machine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •