Thread: What assignments can a part-time photographer get?

Default What assignments can a part-time photographer get?

Hi,

What type of assignments can a part-timer with average skill/equipment expect? Wedding photography possible?

There are things I wanna do instead of sitting behind a desk 5-6 days a week,
    thus I'm looking at ways to give me this more flexible lifestyle though potentially reduced income.

No flame responses please.

Cheers.

Default Re: What assignments can a part-time photographer get?

Quote Originally Posted by ConnorMcLeod
    Hi,

What type of assignments can a part-timer with average skill/equipment expect? Wedding photography possible?

thus I'm looking at ways to give me this more flexible lifestyle though potentially reduced income.

Cheers.
    Hmm, ROM shots. Know a couple of csers who do this on weekends Normally your clientele would normally be those on budget hence you need to figure out your pirce quotes

Hi,

Cheers.
    None. Nowadays so many people got digital cameras, who needs part-timers?
    Anyway, if you have average skill, then you should not be charging or only charging little.

Hi,

Cheers.
    The word 'average' is highly subjective. Show us a few shots outta ur own work first.

But if ur stuff are a 'hit-or-miss' thing, or u're those who fire off as many bullets to hit 1 target, advice u to brush up ya skills first before quoting others for a fee.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

well i tink its important to find ya forte la...there are so many fields in photography... if u can build up on one at a time, u can command a better price in that area also....

cheers.

any mug-shot pro ard??

any method of gettin assignments,with a charge of a small fee to the client?
    thru connections??

Hi,

Cheers.
    So... it begs the question..... Are you in photography becoz of passion or money.....

If passion... then you would develop a style in time... which some assignments would be more suitable for....

If money... decide what assignments you wanna get and work towards getting the skills necessary for it. And then maybe develop a style or emulate one...

I wonder which photographer's life can have flexible working hours. It is normally the case where a photographer have to work according to a client's needs including Sundays and public holidays. It is more miserable than a normal 8-5, work weekdays life because you will probably never know how many hours you are going to work each day and you will never know when you will get your weekends burnt as well. Especially as a wedding photographer, can you tell your client to have their wedding some other day to suit your flexible lifestyle?
    Last edited by Yezrah; 9th October 2005 at 01:48 AM.

I guess most wedding photographers usually receive their bookings like at least 6mths in advance? 6mths... I guess it shld be sufficient to plan their personal schedules.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

the other side of the coin is that, for part-time, you can decide if you want or do not want to take the assignment...flip side is that you might lose more contacts and connections if u do that, i.e. reject the assignment...i have gone for assignments which helped me open doors to newer contacts and clients.

Quote Originally Posted by Yezrah
    I wonder which photographer's life can have flexible working hours. It is normally the case where a photographer have to work according to a client's needs including Sundays and public holidays. It is more miserable than a normal 8-5, work weekdays life because you will probably never know how many hours you are going to work each day and you will never know when you will get your weekends burnt as well. Especially as a wedding photographer, can you tell your client to have their wedding some other day to suit your flexible lifestyle?
    That's a good point. Cheers!

Saw another few threads on similar topic. I'll closing this one now. Thanks for all the positive inputs!!!