Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AD Wedding mood

Default Re: AD Wedding mood

Quote Originally Posted by TMC
    That would be nitpicking. I dont see any right or wrong here. More of a case of personal preferences and frustrations.

Coz in the end of the day, I have to understand them and they would have to understand me. They hired me for my services and not for my command of the language.
    Hi TMC,

True, .. it's been quite a frustrating exercise, to a certain degree.

Thanks for sharing ... learnt some good pointers here ...

- - - - -
    Last edited by Enchanted; 7th October 2005 at 10:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by smurfman
    By the way, please don't use too deep ang mo, i got difficulties in reading.
    Haven't you got a deep ang mo dictionary?

One day I go pasar (wet market) to buy some things, I go to the fish sellerís stall, and I ask the fish sellerÖ

Me: Ah Kor, that black black fish with shining shining eye, how much you sell har?

Fish seller: Thatís sea bass, also call kim bah loh, $12 per kilo for those from fish farm, $18 per kilo for those from the wild.

Me: All look the same to me leh, how you know which one catch from the sea, which is from the fish farm?

Fish seller: Simple, the darker fishes are from the sea, the lighter one are from the farm, btw, those from the farm all are identical in size.

Me: OIC, how much is that pinky pinky fish over there?

Fish seller: Thatís snapper, also call ang cho, $16 per kilo. You want some ang cho fish head? Very nice for making curry fish head.

Me: No thanks, stomach not so good this few days, btw what fish is good to make fish porridge for children har?

Fish seller: Thread fin, also call ngor hei, it makes the porridge very sweet. $28 pre kilo.

Me: So expensive?!

Fish seller: You donít have to buy that much, 300g is good enough to make porridge for 2 serving.

Me: Ok, than give me one kim bah loh and 300g of thread fin fellet.

Fish seller: Sure, give me a minute, I will prepare the fish for youÖ..Ok, here you go, total $28.00

Me: Wow, so fast, you very good leh, a fish seller also knows so many things, I only know how to eat fish and donít what are they call. Hahahhah.

Fish seller: Customer donít what are fish names is very common, but how can I sell something that I donít know, want to be professional must know all this things mah, if not how to help customers? All stalls are selling the same things, what makes the different is the service standard. Btw, Iím a fishmonger, not fish seller.

Ok ok ... since Catchlights gives it away, i would like to add-on my lines too ... hope those who can read between the lines ...

For those who dabbled into this specific field, sure you can make-out something, acting upon minimal knowledge of it's history, understanding, mechanics and trades ... some may even passed off as the pseudo 'doctor of the trade' and get paid by the patients, who thank them, believing and thinking they are cured and healed ...

Sure, even a crook can looked professional, if he put on a whites, and speaks the lingo of the layman, crossing his fingers hoping for a pass.

What's wrong with trying to put things right, when the bad influences, with the decay of the past and present, have plague the (Wedding) professionals for so long. Every efforts, whether in improving the market perception and value, or even little things, like re-educating the use of the correct and appropriate terms, attracts so much repulsion and objections?? ...

Ahhh ..
    Last edited by Enchanted; 8th October 2005 at 03:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    One day I go pasar (wet market) to buy some things, I go to the fish sellerís stall, and I ask the fish sellerÖ

Me: Ah Kor, that black black fish with shining shining eye, how much you sell har?

Fish seller: Thatís sea bass, also call kim bah loh, $12 per kilo for those from fish farm, $18 per kilo for those from the wild.

Me: All look the same to me leh, how you know which one catch from the sea, which is from the fish farm?

Fish seller: Simple, the darker fishes are from the sea, the lighter one are from the farm, btw, those from the farm all are identical in size.

Me: OIC, how much is that pinky pinky fish over there?

Fish seller: Thatís snapper, also call ang cho, $16 per kilo. You want some ang cho fish head? Very nice for making curry fish head.

Me: No thanks, stomach not so good this few days, btw what fish is good to make fish porridge for children har?

Fish seller: Thread fin, also call ngor hei, it makes the porridge very sweet. $28 pre kilo.

Me: So expensive?!

Fish seller: You donít have to buy that much, 300g is good enough to make porridge for 2 serving.

Me: Ok, than give me one kim bah loh and 300g of thread fin fellet.

Fish seller: Sure, give me a minute, I will prepare the fish for youÖ..Ok, here you go, total $28.00

Me: Wow, so fast, you very good leh, a fish seller also knows so many things, I only know how to eat fish and donít what are they call. Hahahhah.

Fish seller: Customer donít what are fish names is very common, but how can I sell something that I donít know, want to be professional must know all this things mah, if not how to help customers? All stalls are selling the same things, what makes the different is the service standard. Btw, Iím a fishmonger, not fish seller.
    The moral of the story: Call the fish by its name not by its colour.

Just came back from Malaysia and saw this reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Enchanted
    Tell me .... isn't "AD" - Actual Day sounds funny ?

Isn't any couple got married on their Wedding Day -- or rather, Actual Day ??
    What's so funny about a local term used amount locals and that's accepted by the local communities at large?
    How many photographers/videographers/makeup artist/wedding couple etc... do not understand the term AD wedding? If it is effective in getting the massage across, why not? "Wedding Day" or "Actual Day", it's just a term used, I still fail to see how it have take a photographer down a few notch just because they use the term AD Wedding/AD Photographer.

When the Taiwanese Bridal ( One-stop concept ) Shops invaded the local scene in the Late 80's, they brought along their culture, business methodlogy, style, and 'lingo'.
    They flourished thru the 90's, and the local Singaporean accepted their new standards, and pay premuims to be served and Wed in Style -- the "Taiwanese-style".

However, times changed and we witness industry shake-out in the late 90's, especially after the economic ( currency ) crisis of the 1997. By the time in the 2000, many were gone, as witness in IMM bridal enclaves of 90's .... Many have had changed names and owners, while others folded-up or bought-over.

Business has been very intense, competitive and cut-throat ... whereby stories of Couples going to CASE and authorities for refund and claims were common. Poor services & 'stereo-typing' among the taiwanese-styled ( One-Stop Bridal Shops ) were widespread.

It is wise to advoid mis-understanding and practice, by Not referring your service as "Actual day", or in any lingo of the 'Taiwanese-style' bridal shops and concept. ( Note: These applies in the local context only ).

Well, Thank you for the history lesson. As I've said in my earlier post, not many of us knows about this and I suspects that even less are bother about it. If most of us either do not know about it or are not bother by it, where is the issues to be corrected?
    Which is more "wise"?, to imform clients about something that they are not affected by, or to use effective terms to communciate with your clients?

Naturally, any words that links to these Shops' practices, ways, standards, and lingo .... i'll despise.

[ ... Nothing personal ... ]

- - - - -
    Well, to each their own. Perhaps you "despise" these shop for whatever reasons that you may have. To most of us, it's just a term, an effective term.

Nothing personal
    Last edited by yqt; 10th October 2005 at 10:57 AM.
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

Well, time will tell ...

Anyway, thanks for all whom have speak your minds ...

- - - -

Though AD was not the best term to use, but since the market here used it for so long, there is nothing we can do about it, we can't change the whole market.

The best that i can think of is Chinese Customaries Wedding. But AD easier to use.

Also, ROM is wrong. Suppose to be soleminzations. But ROM easier to use, thats all.

Whatever terms we use, earn monies more important then debating such issues.
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

Though ..............

The nicer term to use is: providing professional photography service, but earn monies is easier for everyone to understand.

Though AD was not the best term to use, but since the market here used it for so long, there is nothing we can do about it, we can't change the whole market.

The best that i can think of is Chinese Customaries Wedding. But AD easier to use.

Also, ROM is wrong. Suppose to be soleminzations. But ROM easier to use, thats all.

agreed. I take postings here as an exchange of opinion and do hope that the rest feel the same. At the end of the day, it is money in the bank that we're most concern about, right?
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    The nicer term to use is: providing professional photography service, but earn monies is easier for everyone to understand.
    Yeah lor, can also say milk powder money, correct or not smurfman

Quote Originally Posted by xxxger
    10 years ago when i was working in a bridal shop as their in-house photograher .... Before the shooting start, we ( me and the couples ) will spend 5 minutes chat .... listen to them, what type of style they want ... either taiwanese or western or very modern type ( mean the pic will crop off forehead ) ...

So the same thing applies to the AD ... since they are my customers, we can have a meet up before hand or have a teleconversation, listen to them , see what they want ... ( yong xin ling ting ) ... or they want me to stick to my own style and my creatively (cos some might dun accept the idea of their forehead to crop)

hope my newbie ideas help ...
    XXXger, I think you are a full time Pro too, right ?

Any website or online wedding works to share ?

- - - -

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12