Thread: Which one should I take? Tripod or Monopod?

Default Which one should I take? Tripod or Monopod?

So, my tripod decided to break, forcing me to get a new one, however, I am torn about whether to buy a Monopod instead, as I am leaning towards it due to it being much lighter and smaller compared to a tripod, I do occasionally do some night shooting, but it isn't that common, and come end of October, I will be doing filming projects with some friends, so what do you think I should take? The more stable and reliable but heavy and bulky tripod of the lighter, smaller but slightly less stable monopod? Also hope this can serve as guide to people facing similar dilemma in future, as I tried searching CS for this, but couldn't find a topic about it.

Default Re: Which one should I take? Tripod or Monopod?

a few weeks ago i was shopping with a friend of mine who was buying a tripod.

We stumbled upon a sirui tripod with detachable legs at funan, so it can be converted into a monopod. Perhaps you might want to take a look

Quote Originally Posted by RhythmCL View Post
    a few weeks ago i was shopping with a friend of mine who was buying a tripod.

We stumbled upon a sirui tripod with detachable legs at funan, so it can be converted into a monopod. Perhaps you might want to take a look
    Hmm, that actually sound pretty good, how much he pay for it? And got any link to model line?

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

google TK Photo

I have that tripod, it is the Sirui 3204, which I paid $300++ very close to $400 for it (add $1). I think it is easily as good as a Gitzo but cheaper than a Manfrotto.

Super happy with it. Had used it many times. It comes with 6 year warranty and a nice bag, inside got some nice accessories too.
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

Quote Originally Posted by sjackal View Post
    I have that tripod, it is the Sirui 3204, which I paid $300++ very close to $400 for it (add $1). I think it is easily as good as a Gitzo but cheaper than a Manfrotto.

Super happy with it. Had used it many times. It comes with 6 year warranty and a nice bag, inside got some nice accessories too.
    Wa that's sound good, but a bit to expensive, but I will take this into consideration, maybe find cheaper alternative

Quote Originally Posted by captainlolz7 View Post
    Wa that's sound good, but a bit to expensive, but I will take this into consideration, maybe find cheaper alternative

Consider the after sales service, it is well worth it.

No after sales service, might as well just get a disposable tripod.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    Consider the after sales service, it is well worth it.

No after sales service, might as well just get a disposable tripod.
    True, but as a student, money limited, will go around Funan on friday, maybe find good offer

True, but as a student, money limited, will go around Funan on friday, maybe find good offer
    Buy nice, or buy twice. You choose.
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

Not really old or young man here. But I did have to change tripod now n then due to previous ones are cheap n plastic. When you upgrade gears, u will need a better one. Try to look for those average one, at least last longer.
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

Hello Arthur, allow me to share with you my own experience and I hope the points below will be useful to you.

1. A tripod must be stable to support your camera & lens well. Otherwise, should it topple, it will be costly to repair or replace the camera & lens, and to buy another tripod.

2. For a student, choose an aluminium tripod over carbon-fibre as the cost could be twice as much for a CF tripod.

3. Stability-Weight-Cost: You have to decide on 2 of the 3 as you can't have all 3. For example, A stable tripod will cost more if lighter; or weigh more if cheaper.

4. I use 2 tripods with differing heights. My SLIK Pro 340BH (with a ball head) is made of AMT material - Aluminium, Magnesium & Titanium. It is relatively strong & light and cost me between $100-150. I've used it for 5 years without problem. The height reaches my chest in between the waist & chin level, and if the centre rod is extended, can reach almost to eye level. It can support a DSLR with Battery Grip plus a fairly heavy lens of 2 kg. I think you should look for something like this if you use it for general purpose.

5. My other tripod is a Manfrotto 055 aluminium that reaches eye level, and if the centre rod is extended, up to almost 7 feet or so. It is fairly heavy at about 2.3 kg and costs slightly under $300. A carbon-fibre 055 would be almost twice as costly. The tripod is very strong and stable and can take up to 9 kg load. I use it for birding.

6. My friend who uses a Sirui large, carbon fibre tripod for birding said he is very happy with it. He also uses a Sirui standard size one for general purpose.

7. My opinion on monopod is, it should be used for very light work and for short duration when convenience is more important than other factors; say, in a crowded place where a tripod has no place to mount conveniently or when you move around a lot and yet need some stability. Mine you, it can't stand on its own. In an open area, you'll feel the difference when you can't lean it against anywhere. Thus, I would recommend you go for a tripod instead.

8. I bought my SLIK from Cathay Photo; my Manfrotto from SLRR and the gimbal head from TK Foto, all on separate occasions. Check the prices online (say from Amazon or B&H) before you walk into a shop so that you have a benchmark. If you are familiar with online purchase and comfortable with it, you can get a SLIK tripod at good price from Amazon, B&H or even Qoo10 Singapore.

Hope the above info helps :-)

-----

Postscript:

You can browse the different models at www.slik.com and navigate to the AMT models to have a look. Browse other sites like Sirui and Manfrotto for comparison. Hope you'll pick a right one for yourself within your budget.
    Last edited by macVince; 1st September 2015 at 09:42 PM.
    Hobbyist; Weekend SG Tourist

Quote Originally Posted by sjackal View Post
    Buy nice, or buy twice. You choose.
    if one don't really understand, never mind, they will learn one day, after breaking a few more tripods.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by macVince View Post
    Hello Arthur, allow me to share with you my own experience and I hope the points below will be useful to you.

1. A tripod must be stable to support your camera & lens well. Otherwise, should it topple, it will be costly to repair or replace the camera & lens, and to buy another tripod.

2. For a student, choose an aluminium tripod over carbon-fibre as the cost could be twice as much for a CF tripod.

3. Stability-Weight-Cost: You have to decide on 2 of the 3 as you can't have all 3. For example, A stable tripod will cost more if lighter; or weigh more if cheaper.

4. I use 2 tripods with differing heights. My SLIK Pro 340BH (with a ball head) is made of AMT material - Aluminium, Magnesium & Titanium. It is relatively strong & light and cost me between $100-150. I've used it for 5 years without problem. The height reaches my chest in between the waist & chin level, and if the centre rod is extended, can reach almost to eye level. It can support a DSLR with Battery Grip plus a fairly heavy lens of 2 kg. I think you should look for something like this if you use it for general purpose.

5. My other tripod is a Manfrotto 055 aluminium that reaches eye level, and if the centre rod is extended, up to almost 7 feet or so. It is fairly heavy at about 2.3 kg and costs slightly under $300. A carbon-fibre 055 would be almost twice as costly. The tripod is very strong and stable and can take up to 9 kg load. I use it for birding.

6. My friend who uses a Sirui large, carbon fibre tripod for birding said he is very happy with it. He also uses a Sirui standard size one for general purpose.

7. My opinion on monopod is, it should be used for very light work and for short duration when convenience is more important than other factors; say, in a crowded place where a tripod has no place to mount conveniently or when you move around a lot and yet need some stability. Mine you, it can't stand on its own. In an open area, you'll feel the difference when you can't lean it against anywhere. Thus, I would recommend you go for a tripod instead.

8. I bought my SLIK from Cathay Photo; my Manfrotto from SLRR and the gimbal head from TK Foto, all on separate occasions. Check the prices online (say from Amazon or B&H) before you walk into a shop so that you have a benchmark. If you are familiar with online purchase and comfortable with it, you can get a SLIK tripod at good price from Amazon, B&H or even Qoo10 Singapore.

Hope the above info helps :-)

-----

Postscript:

You can browse the different models at www.slik.com and navigate to the AMT models to have a look. Browse other sites like Sirui and Manfrotto for comparison. Hope you'll pick a right one for yourself within your budget.
    Thanks! I found this quite helpful, maybe I will go look into the 150ish dollar one you mentioned as it seems a bit more practical, thanks again!

If looking for sub $200 range, I can recommend Mefoto brand of tripod. I have been using one for more than a year. pretty sturdy and easily supports around 3 kgs (max I have tested). It also comes with detachable center column and one leg, to convert to monopod whenever required.

I'd recommend saving for a very high quality carbon fibre tripod. Lightweight and portable, best of both worlds. Expensive, but you will buy once and it will last a lifetime.
    Check out my site here for reviews, articles & free guides!
    http://davidcandlish.photography

Quote Originally Posted by davidc34 View Post
    I'd recommend saving for a very high quality carbon fibre tripod. Lightweight and portable, best of both worlds. Expensive, but you will buy once and it will last a lifetime.
    which one you want to buy?

I think its a good idea to invest in both, good quality stable tripod. Do it once do it good.

Personally I have one Sirui tripod, pretty solid, but I find myself hardly using it as I am lazy to lug it out.
    Hobbyist Black and White Photographer
    Join me in my black and white photography blog

Quote Originally Posted by vaevictis View Post
    I think its a good idea to invest in both, good quality stable tripod. Do it once do it good.

Personally I have one Sirui tripod, pretty solid, but I find myself hardly using it as I am lazy to lug it out.
    Hmm, true, and I do find my self in the same situation as you, being way to lazy to lug around the tripod.. That's why I thought a decent monopod would be the solution to get a bit more stability compared to hand, but for now I have a bought a somewhat decent aluminium tripod, so I am good for that for now.