Thread: Small amount of foreign currencies.

Lightbulb Small amount of foreign currencies.

we all have some loose amount of foreign notes and coins which were brought back from our overseas business and leisure trips. i am wondering if there are intermediaries which will accept such loose notes and coins for conversion into local $ at reasonable rates? my understanding is that our money changers are not prepared to accept such loose amount or small notes and coins. do foreign banks here provide such exchange services at reasonable rates?

vince123123
    Guests

Default Re: Small amount of foreign currencies.

If money changer dont accept, its likely the bank won't accept either :P

usually I will keep it and use it as an excuse to go to the country again to spend it ..hehehe

Quote Originally Posted by SniperD
    usually I will keep it and use it as an excuse to go to the country again to spend it ..hehehe

Most pple will think that way.

Next time u go to Changi airport (or some other major airport in Asia), there is a donation box to collect all the loose changes, u can drop them all there, its a small amount to u but a big amount for the charity.

Quote Originally Posted by Astin
    Next time u go to Changi airport (or some other major airport in Asia), there is a donation box to collect all the loose changes, u can drop them all there, its a small amount to u but a big amount for the charity.
    Yes, donate it to charity.

the amount may a just little, but you alway can add a $50 bill together.
    Last edited by catchlights; 7th October 2005 at 10:23 AM.

btw, one of the bookstore in Changi airport (I think it's the Times) refused to accept one cent coin .. is it even legal to do that ?

vince123123
    Guests

If I recall correctly, the newspapers did publish an article that 1 cent coins must be accepted for things below $2. I'm not sure however that if you are trying to pay something for S$10.05 and you use a one dollar note and 5 one cent coins, whether thats considered below S$2.

I suppose to read it in the spirit of things, as long as you don't use more than 200 one cent coins, they shouldn't be able to reject. As for whether its illegal or not, hmm let me see if I can check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by karel
    btw, one of the bookstore in Changi airport (I think it's the Times) refused to accept one cent coin .. is it even legal to do that ?

Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003
    we all have some loose amount of foreign notes and coins which were brought back from our overseas business and leisure trips. i am wondering if there are intermediaries which will accept such loose notes and coins for conversion into local $ at reasonable rates? my understanding is that our money changers are not prepared to accept such loose amount or small notes and coins. do foreign banks here provide such exchange services at reasonable rates?
    Keep it and use it for ur next trip?

U wun worry abt not having loose change and appearing like a tourist the next time round there.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123
    If I recall correctly, the newspapers did publish an article that 1 cent coins must be accepted for things below $2. I'm not sure however that if you are trying to pay something for S$10.05 and you use a one dollar note and 5 one cent coins, whether thats considered below S$2.

I suppose to read it in the spirit of things, as long as you don't use more than 200 one cent coins, they shouldn't be able to reject. As for whether its illegal or not, hmm let me see if I can check it out.

I bought a magazine, Esquire to be exact (you know, the one with Keira on cover), it cost me $ 10.14, and I gave 10 dollar bill, 10 cent and 4 one-cents.
    The girl at the counter, between her phone call said 'Sorry, we don't accept one cent'.
    I replaced the 4 one-cents with a 5 cent, but she didn't give me change.

So, other than rejecting one valid monetary instrument, she also took away my one cent without explanation

Lightbulb Re: Small amount of foreign currencies.

i am aware of the existence of a pyramid-shaped collection receptale at the airport. but my confidence in charities is no longer the same as before the nkf fiasco.

Quote Originally Posted by Astin
    Last edited by reachme2003; 7th October 2005 at 08:50 PM.

Lightbulb Re: Small amount of foreign currencies.

it is not illegal. mas permits businesses to put in place practices such as whether to accept, reject or the quantum they are prepared to accept with regards to the use of 1 cent coin here although legal tender remains at $2.00. Singpost's sam machines used to accept 1 cent for purchase of stamps. but no longer. i use 1 cent coins to buy stamps over the counter.

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123

One of the ways would be to try to use the loose change before coming back and keep the bigger notes. That way, you can change back to SG currency but if it still contains some smaller notes, money changers will give you a lower rate.