Thread: Issues with using Flash

Default Issues with using Flash

Hi guys,

I have issue with using flash, I not sure how to use the flash effectively.

I have some knowledge on the golden triangle, ISO, shuttle speed and aperture. I know about depth of field. But I am not very confident in using flash.

Usually I will use TTL mode on my SB-600 flash.

The problem I am facing is I not sure how many stops to turn to get the correct exposure. If I am going for event shoots, it will be a problem. Things happened very fast and people usually don't have the patience to let you take another shot after a few tries.

Another issue I am facing is I not sure how strong I need for my flash so that there will not be a dark background and a overexposed foreground.

Usually I used manual or aperture priority mode on my camera. I only shoot in raw so I still can "fix" those pictures if is too dark or too bright. But I want to get to a point where I can shoot what I want and not try and error.

Really appreciate if you guys can share some links or give my some tips.

Thanks!

Default Re: Issues with using Flash

once you start to use flash, you will need to understand this, Inverse Square Law, Light

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...sion/isql.html

when you place your subject to close to you and you won't be able to light up the background with same amount of light from you flash.
    so you need to do any one of this or in combination to see which is more suitable for your situation;

- use a longer shutter speed to increase the exposure for the background.
    - lower the intensity of the flash light, and increase ISO or open up aperture to bring the lighting ration closer
    - move your subject further away from you and closer to the background
    - change the background
    - move your subject to another location
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Default Re: Issues with using Flash

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    once you start to use flash, you will need to understand this, Inverse Square Law, Light

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...sion/isql.html

when you place your subject to close to you and you won't be able to light up the background with same amount of light from you flash.
    so you need to do any one of this or in combination to see which is more suitable for your situation;

- use a longer shutter speed to increase the exposure for the background.
    - lower the intensity of the flash light, and increase ISO or open up aperture to bring the lighting ration closer
    - move your subject further away from you and closer to the background
    - change the background
    - move your subject to another location
    Thank you! I went to watch some youtube videos regarding the inverse square law, now I got a better understanding. Thanks for your tips as well! I know what you mean.

Now is time to go and try.