Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ideal Pc For Foto Viewing And Editing

Default Re: Ideal Pc For Foto Viewing And Editing

In term of the Monitor, the designers today still prefer to use CRT monitors, instead of the LCDs. Yah LCDs are cool, save space, and nice, but we, designers still prefer to work on CRT. (I think, pro photo editors would also prefer CRT instead of LCD.) For me, I have two 19" CRTs sitting on my table. But today, I've heard LCDs are getting better, but their prices are still too high for me. So CRTs are still cheaper and better option for me.

If youre into Professional, get the SPYDER Monitor Calibrator. Its important.

Relatively speaking RAM should be at least 512MB. (That is what I have on my system.), but of cos, the more the better. 1GB should be quite good, unless you want to edit large poster sized images.

And get a DVD-R/RW to backup your photos if your budget allows. Especially, if you shoot a lot, you will need such a large library.

And Photoshop & Wacom tablet is a must.
    My Gallery at DeviantART http://waiaung.deviantart.com

Hi to all...just thought I would add my 2 cents...(adapted from my post somewhere else...)

RAM, RAM, RAM... that is most important. Photoshop (PS in short) CS and below can access up to 2GBs of it, and I suggest you give PS as much as possible. A rough estimate of how much RAM a file should have is to multiply the opened up file size (not the saved size) by 4. If PS runs out of RAM, it starts to churn the drive as a scratch disk as virtual RAM...ie slows down comp. 512 mb is okay for smaller files and gaming but I would recommend at least 1GB for PS work. Volume of RAM is more important than speed (but don't go and find the slowest RAM and sticking in 4GB of it...). You will realise its utility in increasing speed of work when you try adjusting complex filters like lens blur. PS CS2 on a 64bit OS (Mac or PC) can use up to 3.5GB, I think...anytakers?

A seperate disk used as a scratch would speed up matters when eventually even the most abundent systems run out of RAM. Very simple reason: when PS is chugging through the data in the program disk, if it can write the processing data onto a seperate volume the program disk would not need change between reading and writing, thus making work much easier. Only use SCSI if you have the money to burn. Of cause, if your scratch disk is RAID 0...

There's not much diff between the speed of PATA, SATA or even SATA II disks. There are people better qualified to explain this. If budget no object, Gigabyte has this interesting SATA interface disk using up to 4GB RAM, blindingly fast for scratch disk! DVD's are really useful for archive your files... even 200GB drives can get clogged up and it's much easier to archive projects with many large files into one DVD than in a few CDs.

PS seems to run faster on Pentium4 (probably from Prescotts and PS7 onwards I think) cause PS7 onwards (can't really remember if 7 onwards or CS) is optimised with support of Intel's SSE3 codes and also hyperthreading...in short, PS uses those codes to run things faster. But since Venice core Athlon64s, SSE3 is also available to these new AMD chips, and reviews which use PS as a benchmark have shown AMD chips catching up with Intel chips... still no hyperthreading though so still marginally slower. Of cause, two heads are better than one, and so dual core chips, or two processer workstations are even better...if you are willing to spend the money. But basically, concentrate your money on RAM, and then get as fast a chip as your remaining budget permits, Intel or AMD (if AMD remember to get Venice core or later). As for 64bit, at the moment only CS2 takes it into account by upping the accessible RAM to 3.5GB. Don't recall any other optimizations for now, but keeping an eye on future proofing is always good. I do not recommend overclocking on a work computer though...in work, it's always better to be safe than sorry...

Don't worry about graphics card...if it's good enough to display up to your monitor's max resolution, it's good enough for PS...PS does not make use of the GPU to do it's work.

Talking about displays, it's best not to use LCD screens for image editing... except for really high price ones like from LaCie (my boss uses apple's cinema screens...which I think are still inferior to my CRT) LCDs can't show the full range of colours that a CRT can. Also, CRT's can display more pixels and show them more densely...very useful when you do big images.

As for tablets, once you try them, you will get addicted...it's just so much better than using mouse...just get one that suites your budget...of course if $ no prob, can get Wacom Intuos3...guaranteed good...using one now...

Phew...hope that helps... back to dreaming about my future 4-way Opteron system...

Talking about monitors, quite a few have emphasized on CRT. How true.

I am getting a new PC. Now, the question is that most PC are packaged with LCD monitor. I wonder if CRT monitors are becoming less common and might even be extinct in a couple of years!! Or I could get a complete set with a CRT at a big discount??
    I love big car, big house, big lenses, but small apertures.

if you're running Windows XP. 1 GB ram is more than enough.

windows XP will NOT address more than 1 GB of ram.
    After 800mb, then winXP is hard coded to cache stuff to your harddisk...
    you can't change it unless you can rewrite winXP's cache algorithm. Or you disable paging all together. At your own risk, software wise everything will be snappy, ATI users will face a system crash, and you will notice system slowdown coz win XP seems to stop "predicting" what to load into ram.. Maybe it was just me and my system..
    There's a very good reason: Performance
    in Year 2001, motherboards had problems accepting 2GB of ram, and having 1GB was like O.O liaoz.. and most software won't be processing 1Gb of data at anytime. => if you're using 800MB of ram, it simply means that you have too much crap in your ram, and it'll be slowly cached to the HDD to free up memory.

Accounts for why people experience a slowdown after 40 photos.. BECAUSE their C drive is full.. Whatever amount of ram, you need to have AT LEAST 2 to 3 times the amount of harddisk space free in your C drive almost all the time. Preferably unfragmented. Else winXP will slow down.. Forgot where I read that, there's a reason behind it..

Of course, no self respecting person with 2GB of ram would be running XP, so I suppose jnet6 is using 2003/linux/NT..
    Ahh.. all the fine details they don't tell u about..
    Remember: Can address + can see != can use.
    Last edited by unseen; 11th November 2005 at 07:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by unseen

You sure or not ? A 32 bit operating system can address up to 4GB of memory. I believe if you have 4GB on CS2 and Win XP you cannot address all of the memory as you think. I have 2Gb RAM and activated the "large tile" in photoshop to take advantage of the memory for faster performance. The knowledgebase for large tile solution can be found at Adobe support

hi, so if i have 1Gb of RAM, wat should the size of my scratch disk for CS be?

Do you have any readings to back up your statement ?
    as for the past few months I've been rolling out so called 'workstation' [ Dual Xeon , 4 GB RAM , Dual SATA / SCSI on RAID 0 ] on Win XP Pro 32 bit and looks a ok ?
    And the guys using it are calculating complex molecular computation [or whatever they are doing .. I am not taking part ]
    When I tried loading PS CS2 + Nikon Capture on it for fun, well .. I can say its LIGHTNING fast compared to my old P4 2.53 with 1 GB RAM
    Nikon 4 & lots of hollow chunky glass

dunno about the memory part, but I tink that CS2 supports dual-processor parallel-tasking, that might account for the zippiness u've experienced.

Quote Originally Posted by b18
    Do you have any readings to back up your statement ?
    as for the past few months I've been rolling out so called 'workstation' [ Dual Xeon , 4 GB RAM , Dual SATA / SCSI on RAID 0 ] on Win XP Pro 32 bit and looks a ok ?
    And the guys using it are calculating complex molecular computation [or whatever they are doing .. I am not taking part ]
    When I tried loading PS CS2 + Nikon Capture on it for fun, well .. I can say its LIGHTNING fast compared to my old P4 2.53 with 1 GB RAM

Well, according to http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/332271.html
    CS2 can access 2GB of Ram...

also, the other day, upgraded RAM for work computer from 1GB to 2GB, and to justify upgrade to boss, I did some timings of photoshop processes and noticed significant increases in speed...somewhere in region of 1/3 reduction in time to open a large (about 600MB, I think), so unless some magic happened, I think more RAM was utilized...

from a self respecting user who has home and work computer with 2GB RAM and running on Win2K and WinXP
    Last edited by theRBK; 13th November 2005 at 08:59 PM.

thanks for the insight
    Quote Originally Posted by theRBK
    Well, according to http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/332271.html
    CS2 can access 2GB of Ram...

also, the other day, upgraded RAM for work computer from 1GB to 2GB, and to justify upgrade to boss, I did some timings of photoshop processes and noticed significant increases in speed...somewhere in region of 1/3 reduction in time to open a large (about 600MB, I think), so unless some magic happened, I think more RAM was utilized...

from a self respecting user who has home and work computer with 2GB RAM and running on Win2K and WinXP

Using 2GB. Never had any problem. No crashing or system slowdown. Not keen to fathom the complex theories why I don't really need more than 1 GB. Who cares?
    I know what I want. I open multiple programs at one time and the PC can take it.

Quote Originally Posted by GitS
    hi, so if i have 1Gb of RAM, wat should the size of my scratch disk for CS be?
    The scratch disk uses the harddisk. You can't set the size for your scratch disks.

Here are my specs.
    - 20" LCD
    - 200GB internal + 200GB external
    - DVD burner
    - 1Gb ram
    - 256MB video ram

If you're using Adobe Bridge or File browser, depending on which version of photoshop you're on, it's better to get a SATA harddisk. It runs slightly faster. Get a second internal harddisk for the scratchdisk if you don't have enough ram.

1gb ram is very comfortable.

I have been using 64mb video ram from Geforce mx2 400 for 3 years. Althought upgraded to 256mb video ram now, I feel no difference in performance. (the video card upgrade was for my monitor)

DVD burner is a must, for backing up. Backing up is a MUST!!! You don't know how precious your photos are until they are lost, forever. External harddisk is for convenience to backing up your photos, since you don't have to burn DVDs constantly.

For monitor, you would have to depend on what you're going to do with your photos. I'm not the fussy type of person, hence not particular. Most monitors in the market are quite good actually.

No much difference between Macs and PCs actually, beside the operating system. One thing to note is, Mac have faster front-side bus, the main highway for data in a PC. My PC, 4 years old (pentium 2ghz) has a front side bus of 100mhz. The iMac G5 has one at 800mhz. It's desktop, the dual processor core has 1ghz. My PC is already quite fast, the G5 is blazing fast, coupled by the fact that it's using Mac OSX. I use the dual 2ghz G5 at work.

you can't change it unless you can rewrite winXP's cache algorithm. Or you disable paging all together. At your own risk, software wise everything will be snappy, ATI users will face a system crash, and you will notice system slowdown coz win XP seems to stop "predicting" what to load into ram.. Maybe it was just me and my system..
    There's a very good reason: Performance
    in Year 2001, motherboards had problems accepting 2GB of ram, and having 1GB was like O.O liaoz.. and most software won't be processing 1Gb of data at anytime. => if you're using 800MB of ram, it simply means that you have too much crap in your ram, and it'll be slowly cached to the HDD to free up memory.

Accounts for why people experience a slowdown after 40 photos.. BECAUSE their C drive is full.. Whatever amount of ram, you need to have AT LEAST 2 to 3 times the amount of harddisk space free in your C drive almost all the time. Preferably unfragmented. Else winXP will slow down.. Forgot where I read that, there's a reason behind it..

Of course, no self respecting person with 2GB of ram would be running XP, so I suppose jnet6 is using 2003/linux/NT..
    Ahh.. all the fine details they don't tell u about..
    Remember: Can address + can see != can use.

Just throw the /3GB switch into your boot.ini file.
    That will cause WinXP to reserve the 1st 1GB of memory for OS use only and the rest for programs.
    Frankly, WinXP doesn't even need 1GB for it's kernel and such.. But if you're feeling rich and intend to get 3GB - 4GB of ram, go ahead and activate the 3GB switch.

Ah. How can you have an ideal PC one?
    Today ideal, tomorrow assemble/buy, day after out of date already!

I'm going to have a P4 notebook soon (speed not sure, notebook not by choice).

It has a 1GB RAM, intending to upgrading 2GB if useful and can afford.

Going to use CS2, WindowsXP (not by choice too).

Is there any tweaking that I should do for Windows (or CS2) to fully utilise the 2GB RAM?

Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12