Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36

Thread: Ideal Pc For Foto Viewing And Editing

  1. #1

    Default Ideal Pc For Foto Viewing And Editing

    Hi,

    any good advice on the above subject.

    any good brand LCD of 17"/19" - contrast/response time
    any good graphic card for better picture resolution
    1GB ram good enough ?
    HDD 120GB

    any other points to note

    looking for mid-range PC for above purpose

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tanjong Katong
    Posts
    3,710

    Default Re: Ideal Pc For Foto Viewing And Editing

    Quote Originally Posted by LKY
    Hi,

    any good advice on the above subject.

    any good brand LCD of 17"/19" - contrast/response time
    any good graphic card for better picture resolution
    1GB ram good enough ?
    HDD 120GB

    any other points to note

    looking for mid-range PC for above purpose
    Wide screen is a better choice, since it will usefull for Nikon's 3/2 ratio.

    Regards,
    Arto.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Ideal Pc For Foto Viewing And Editing

    Quote Originally Posted by LKY
    any good brand LCD of 17"/19" - contrast/response time
    Dell UltraSharp 1905FP

    It's cheap. Value for money.The price went up a bit. Few weeks ago it was selling for less than $600.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Ideal Pc For Foto Viewing And Editing

    Ideal PC?

    Probably a 20" iMac.....

    but i am using a lousy dell.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Ideal Pc For Foto Viewing And Editing

    i am using a 17'' powerbook for all of my editing stuff... unless u got cash to spare to get an emac or powermac..

    then go with the apple lcd...

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    beebox
    Posts
    2,078

    Default Re: Ideal Pc For Foto Viewing And Editing

    another vote for the Imac !

    getting one myself,for the same purpose.

  7. #7
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Currently, Singapore but hope
    Posts
    727

    Default Re: Ideal Pc For Foto Viewing And Editing

    I feel sorry for Mac users, they have been sold out to when Apple annouced that they will go Intel. I like the Mac, I used it in my Uni days but the softwre is just a little exey for poor old me.

    I use my PC for media production works; including Digital Video clips using digital stills and videos. I have 2x 120Gb (one for data and the other for programs / OS). I build my own P4 3.0e HT with 2Gb RAM and a 256Mb Radeon Video Card on a MSI motherboard with a 19" Trinitron CRT (still better than any LCD of that size). Brand doesn't matter, just the juice it needs to pump out, so just watch the specs. I started with just a AMD Duron (850Mhz)with 512RAM & 80HD with a 12" for $300 3 years ago. I build it up as I get the money, The PC is still the cheaper way to go.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Ideal Pc For Foto Viewing And Editing

    Quote Originally Posted by LKY
    Hi,

    any good advice on the above subject.

    any good brand LCD of 17"/19" - contrast/response time
    any good graphic card for better picture resolution
    1GB ram good enough ?
    HDD 120GB

    any other points to note

    looking for mid-range PC for above purpose
    The question is .. what's your budget ?
    A PC can range from a $1000 to $10k easily. So it depends on your budget.

    For start .. a 30" ACD is a good screen to have and 2 GB RAM is bare minimum
    Nikon 4 & lots of hollow chunky glass

  9. #9

    Default Re: Ideal Pc For Foto Viewing And Editing

    Quote Originally Posted by b18
    The question is .. what's your budget ?
    A PC can range from a $1000 to $10k easily. So it depends on your budget.

    For start .. a 30" ACD is a good screen to have and 2 GB RAM is bare minimum

    hi,


    thx for all the feedback.

    2 GB RAM ? serious ? 1 GB RAM not enough for above purpose.

    heard viewsonic and samsung are the better LCD in market. any one using these LCD ? any comments ?

  10. #10
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default Re: Ideal Pc For Foto Viewing And Editing

    If you just want to view, 1GB RAM is enough, if you intend to do heavy NEF editing, 2GB or more is recommended, I'm using 1GB now, going to upz to 3GB soon.

    As for LCDs, go for the 24 bit colours one, there's a new Samsung model with 1000:1 contrast and 24bit (16.7m) colours, but price wise, think will be near the K.

    I'm using the older Samsung 910T, also 1000:1 contrast and 24 bit colour. Lurve it.

    30" ACD would be a dream

  11. #11
    Senior Member jnet6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    not here often anymore
    Posts
    8,169

    Default Re: Ideal Pc For Foto Viewing And Editing

    Quote Originally Posted by espn
    If you just want to view, 1GB RAM is enough, if you intend to do heavy NEF editing, 2GB or more is recommended, I'm using 1GB now, going to upz to 3GB soon.

    As for LCDs, go for the 24 bit colours one, there's a new Samsung model with 1000:1 contrast and 24bit (16.7m) colours, but price wise, think will be near the K.

    I'm using the older Samsung 910T, also 1000:1 contrast and 24 bit colour. Lurve it.

    30" ACD would be a dream
    I'm using 2GB, so far so good for my editing.
    at least fast enough to view "all" my pics in PS.

    U will notice "slow" down when yr NC/PS has used up 1.5GB of yr physical ram. but that will happen when u open more then 40jpgs in PS.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Ideal Pc For Foto Viewing And Editing

    Quote Originally Posted by LKY
    hi,


    thx for all the feedback.

    2 GB RAM ? serious ? 1 GB RAM not enough for above purpose.

    heard viewsonic and samsung are the better LCD in market. any one using these LCD ? any comments ?
    as ESPN typed, 1 GB is enough for viewing . But for editing NEF , you need more than that.
    Was editing a friend D70 images on my P4 2.66 + 1GB RAM + Dual HDD setup and I feel they are heavier to process compared to my D1H / S2 Pro RAW [maybe its compressed ? ]

    If you are going for image editing, make sure you have big RAM and fast dual disk. One drive to store your application and the other ones from your scratch disk [term from Adobe PS]

    1000:1 ratio is very nice to use.
    We are one of Viewsonic dealer in Sydney, I found the VG and VP range are good for images.
    I was using VG700 and now I changed to VX912 and feel the colour is more off
    If I could just pinch one of the VP930b that are lying around in my office ......
    Nikon 4 & lots of hollow chunky glass

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Central West
    Posts
    1,952

    Default Re: Ideal Pc For Foto Viewing And Editing

    Quote Originally Posted by b18
    If I could just pinch one of the VP930b that are lying around in my office ......
    The VP930b is a nice screen - 1000:1 contrast/8ms response/8 bit MVA panel/ability to pivot into portrait mode.


    If you want what seems to be the ultimate screen - can wait for next year for this new screen technology to come out as products - SED, 100,000:1 contrast/1ms response/180 deg viewing angle

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    151

    Default Re: Ideal Pc For Foto Viewing And Editing

    If you are really very into video editing, I would suggest using SCSI HDD. Its much faster and reliable but more exp though.

    As most pple have mentioned more RAM is definitely better. Start with 2GB (1GB x 2 for HT). For graphics card not so much critical but if can get 256MB would be better.


    I'm using:
    P4-3.0E
    2GB RAM
    Leadtek TI4600 128MB AGP
    160GB SATA HDD

  15. #15

    Default Re: Ideal Pc For Foto Viewing And Editing

    Quote Originally Posted by b18
    as ESPN typed, 1 GB is enough for viewing . But for editing NEF , you need more than that.
    Was editing a friend D70 images on my P4 2.66 + 1GB RAM + Dual HDD setup and I feel they are heavier to process compared to my D1H / S2 Pro RAW [maybe its compressed ? ]

    If you are going for image editing, make sure you have big RAM and fast dual disk. One drive to store your application and the other ones from your scratch disk [term from Adobe PS]

    1000:1 ratio is very nice to use.
    We are one of Viewsonic dealer in Sydney, I found the VG and VP range are good for images.
    I was using VG700 and now I changed to VX912 and feel the colour is more off
    If I could just pinch one of the VP930b that are lying around in my office ......

    not true... i open 50 over photos, without a glitch using a 1gb ram. And I was doing heaving editing... not just adjustments..

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Town of Queens doing PORT-9YOU
    Posts
    12,716

    Default Re: Ideal Pc For Foto Viewing And Editing

    My preferred specs,

    Sony Trinitron G520 20" CRT Monitor
    Pentium-4 3.0GHz 1MB-L2 (478/775)
    Asus or MSI 478/775 Motherboard with 1394/USB2
    Corsair 4x512MB (or 4x1GB) DDR/DDR2 RAM
    Antec 550W PSU
    2x PATA HDD (120-200GB)
    4x SATA HDD (>200GB on RAID 0/1 configuration)
    Plextor Multi-format DVD Writer (EIDE/SATA/SCSI)
    Plextor Multi-format DVD Reader (EIDE/SATA/SCSI)
    Matrox G659/750 or any 6600/6800 Graphics Card
    Wacom Tablet
    Eye-One Colour Management

  17. #17

    Default Re: Ideal Pc For Foto Viewing And Editing

    Quote Originally Posted by AJ23
    My preferred specs,

    Sony Trinitron G520 20" CRT Monitor
    Pentium-4 3.0GHz 1MB-L2 (478/775)
    Asus or MSI 478/775 Motherboard with 1394/USB2
    Corsair 4x512MB (or 4x1GB) DDR/DDR2 RAM
    Antec 550W PSU
    2x PATA HDD (120-200GB)
    4x SATA HDD (>200GB on RAID 0/1 configuration)
    Plextor Multi-format DVD Writer (EIDE/SATA/SCSI)
    Plextor Multi-format DVD Reader (EIDE/SATA/SCSI)
    Matrox G659/750 or any 6600/6800 Graphics Card
    Wacom Tablet
    Eye-One Colour Management
    Hi,

    many thanks to all Csers.

    is Sim lim square, where got better buy of this sony G520 20" ? 1st hand cost ? 2nd hand cost?

    is "eye-on colour mgt" a software ? costs ? where sell ? its function ?

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Perth Australia
    Posts
    2,548

    Default Re: Ideal Pc For Foto Viewing And Editing

    Moved thread to a more appropriate location

    Ian
    Nikon Forum Moderator
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

  19. #19

    Default Re: Ideal Pc For Foto Viewing And Editing

    Quote Originally Posted by LKY
    hi,


    thx for all the feedback.

    2 GB RAM ? serious ? 1 GB RAM not enough for above purpose.

    heard viewsonic and samsung are the better LCD in market. any one using these LCD ? any comments ?


    1 GB is enough.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Ideal Pc For Foto Viewing And Editing

    i would think that when using CS2, it would be good to run a bare minimum amount of background applications, eg, virus scanners, iTunes, quicktime, yahoo/msn messengers should be disabled or turned off.

    ideally, do all the editing on a dedicated HDD loaded only with the OS and CS2. nothing beats the performance and speed.

    i would also tink that using newer mobos supporting sata II and raid 0 striping is very much much faster for disk-intensive activities....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •