Thread: FX9 vs IXUS 55 vs IXUS 750

Default FX9 vs IXUS 55 vs IXUS 750

Hi,

I'm posting on behalf of a fellow colleague who is trying to get a new digital camera. As the thread title suggests, she is currently looking at the following 3 cameras, FX9, IXUS 55 or IXUS 750. Since i neither owned nor played with either one of the cameras. I hope somebody can provide me with their feedbacks for the respective camera and your personal choice between the camera.

Her primary consideration for the camera are as below:
    1) Processing capability or Response
    2) Picture Quality
    3) Portability

Thanks and hope to hear all your valuable feedbacks!!

Cheers,
    vandyk

Default Re: FX9 vs IXUS 55 vs IXUS 750

I had a chance to try out the IXUS 55 and its big brother iXUS 750 they're nearly indentical in specs except 7.1M vs 5M and some minor differnces but IXUS 55 IS FAR MORE STYLISH THAN IXUS 750 . Image quality are good enough but its LCD is not crisp. Canon LCD , lol
    IMO, FX9 is the best though i haven't tried it yet but according to its specs and reputation from it little brother FX7, i find it to be the best out 3 : 2.5'' LCD @ 230k pixels, OIS, fast operation ( though maybe not as fast as Canon), Leica lens ( yes, at least it's sharper than IXUS) and so so.
    In my place, FX9 price = IXUS 750 = IXUS 55 + 60 USD = 370USD. If i choose, i'll choose FX9, then IXUS 55 then the rest.
    Hope that help!

I am not sure, but has Canon incorporated image stabilisation into their IXUS line yet? I've used Konica Minolta (Dimage A2 & D5D) and the FX-9 and I now think I can't do without this particular feature. It would definitely tip the scales for me. Has Canon addressed its batt. life issues? From what I know, the previous versions of IXUS has very poor batt performance. But their image quality, especially night shots are very good though.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

FX9 is the best of the bunch, IMO. Better still, get the LX1.

I was eyeing the LX1 also, but at $999, price quite steep ley. And their 28mm lens is only available when you shoot their 16:9 format. Chey...
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman