Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 367891013 ... LastLast

Thread: Pro = high end equipt?

Default Re: Pro = high end equipt?

Quote Originally Posted by Stratts
    Hi Malakite - well done for dealing with this behaaaaarch in such a professional manner. I have a 1Ds MII, please feel free to borrow it for your next church function to one up this guy - keep it in ya bag as your "spare" camera.

I agree with your comments - I'm still learning about photography every time I pick up a camera, I love it and really enjoy talking about it. Whenever I spot someone who looks like they know what they are doing with a camera (based on what they are doing - not the kit they are using) I bend their ear about techniques and general photography crap. What a shame that parts of our photographic community are filled with eleitist wankers like this Nikon wannabe.

I'm lucky enough to have a nice camera (v understanding wife), but I remember taking pretty good digital photos on a Casio Camera that had 100k of resolution and I owned that piece of junk for a couple of years!!. I also had borrowed my dad's 35mm that he picked up on a trip to Vietnam - it was in the late 60's and it had a light meter like a petrol guage - but it took great shots.

I don't believe you have to have a pro camera to be a pro photographer, you just have to work hard and understand what the client wants and spend time developing your capture technique and your workflow methodology. Look at all the great photographers over many years who have captured great images on rangefinders, box-brownies, and even SLR's with light meters that looked like a petrol guage!!

If anyone see's a big Aussie trying to drive his Canon, please stop and offer help. I'm not the Nikon guy and I'm gutted that such blokes exist.

Stratts

thanks man... i know..,. i've decided to buy the D2X myself , just to keep as a spare, so i can use that line, this kind of event? P&S can already, what for big gun?( after showing him that is)

Quote Originally Posted by Caspere
    Just becos others are rude does not mean we should be so.

You were well-mannered enough, ignore that crass fellow.

He might meet another crass fellow and beat each other up.

I totally agree ... and i hope that that day comes soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by jOhO
    yo malakite (i think i met u b4!!! heheh - sorree if i forgot)

i really empathise with u. becos seriously if that happened to me i would be so tempted to hammer the fella until he forget the smell of his wife's armpits...

but.. can't becos u've been engaged on a professional (meaning "paid") basis. wah.. the heat would be huge man..

i'd say u handled it well. look who's the real pro.

thanks thanks.. and yep u have... i just wanted to get the job done, what i've been paid to do, so i didn't want to cause trouble, imagine if i had... next time ppl want to hire me again, the incident might affect that....sigh

Quote Originally Posted by Malakite
    thanks man... i know..,. i've decided to buy the D2X myself , just to keep as a spare, so i can use that line, this kind of event? P&S can already, what for big gun?( after showing him that is)
    D2x as spare

Quote Originally Posted by Larry
    "If you're the pro, how come I'm the one being paid to cover this event and you're shooting for free?"

i like!

Quote Originally Posted by Klose
    How rude of him, I admire your coolness. If it were me I find let my colourful vocabulary fly out

sadly.. cannot... church event... my priest was there....

Quote Originally Posted by Astin
    And I will also believe he is 1 of the Clubsnap member...

If that is really true... i feel very sad, because ever since i joined this forum, everyone has been very nice, and very forthcoming with their tips on shooting and what not's, i really feel at home in this here forum.

Quote Originally Posted by zaren
    malakite, i must admire your patience.

as for that other photog....he will get what he deserves in due course. you reap what you sow.

thank you for the kind words.... as i mentioned... i was so annoyed i just needed to rant a bit...

If that is really true... i feel very sad, because ever since i joined this forum, everyone has been very nice, and very forthcoming with their tips on shooting and what not's, i really feel at home in this here forum.
    there is more than 10k members... and out of the 10k, only less than maybe 100 is active in here... so the rest of them might be those...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

a smart pro, if for business will buy the cheapest equipment to cover his business to maximise his profit, if you can deliever with the cheapest of equipment you are KING!

to the thread starter, i will call the organizer to remove the ofending person before i continue shooting.

If its a situtation that he challeges me outright, i may just do something nasty to his toys (if he bothers with my job). To me the job is the most important and if for any reason i'm being distracted i will try my best to remove him/her.

Hi guys, i'm a little peeved, so i might rant a little here. I'm just an amatuer in photography, i do it becoz i love it. My equipts aren't fancy, just a prosumer class cam and external flash, I use a Coolpix 8700 with an attached battery pack , the MB e5700 and sb 80 (i call this my machiam-pro camera = like pro.

On a recent saturday evening i was asked to shoot for a church event ( think dinner and dance, ballrooms and all that)

Everything was going well until the point where the guest of honour was supposed to give out some awards. This other Photographer armed with a D2x suddenly appears out of no where and starts shooting, that's fine it's free world. I dun care. I continue doing my job, and then he makes this tsk tsk sound everytime i shoot.

Finally i turn and ask him what's the matter? Am i blocking you? i can move if u ask nicely. that sorta thing. He answered back, aiya u come here for wat? Waste time only, you're only using a point and shoot, what can u come out with?( by that i take it he means wat i can produce) and your stupid flash not strong enough , it's spoiling my photos. Can you get lost can?

(Well at this point in time , i was wondering if my insurance company would cover certain damages to my camera that was cause by blunt force trauma.) But i digress, i told him nicely, or as nicely as i could, "Sir what every the case might be, I'm the designated photographer for tonight, so pls, keep your comments to yourself."

Then he gones on to accuse me of lying about my qualifications to get this particular gig. I'm like wat? The client, knows very well what equipt i use and my back ground. And now, every time i try to frame a shot, he comes and stands in front of me, blocking my way. Everytime he does it i tell him politely to move , you're blocking my shot. He tells me to go home small fry, You cannot compete with me.

I'm barely inches away from hammering him into the carpet, when the Mc finally notices, He asks me if there's any problem, i point to the rude fella and say ya, he's blocking. (the MC of the nite was a fren of mine) The MC tells the fella, Sir please step back from the stage and let our photographer do his work, over the mike by the way which meant the whole ballroom heard.

The stubborn fella take one step backwards and stays there. I give up, i do wat i was paid to do. After the awards ceremony, is the dance item, ppl on stage, stuff like that, entertainment. I'm doing my work, taking shots of the dancers and the bugger comes back and says to me eh, you play enough already or not? The PRO wanna shoot!

At this point in time..... i was like watever man... do wat ever u like... i've got wat i needed to shoot, the important stuff . You can go on thinkin your the pro...

I mean geez... so ur camera cost soooooooo much more then mine... so wat? That make u a pro? Bullsh@t man... with that kinda attitude i mean WTF MAN?!??! Looking down on ppl becoz his equiptment is not the most ex...

(side note, i spent the rest of the nite shooting with my holga, wonderful, i skived off his flash, no need to use mine.)
    Use D2X = PRO???? Then use D50 / D70 = kanna sai????????????
    Last edited by jamestan; 5th October 2005 at 08:57 PM.

Hi guys, i'm a little peeved, so i might rant a little here. I'm just an amatuer in photography, i do it becoz i love it. My equipts aren't fancy, just a prosumer class cam and external flash, I use a Coolpix 8700 with an attached battery pack , the MB e5700 and sb 80 (i call this my machiam-pro camera = like pro.

On a recent saturday evening i was asked to shoot for a church event ( think dinner and dance, ballrooms and all that)
    Its a church event.... that a**h*** will get his just desserts..........

Deregistered

Everything was going well until the point where the guest of honour was supposed to give out some awards. This other Photographer armed with a D2x suddenly appears out of no where and starts shooting, that's fine it's free world. I dun care. I continue doing my job, and then he makes this tsk tsk sound everytime i shoot.

Finally i turn and ask him what's the matter? Am i blocking you? i can move if u ask nicely. that sorta thing. He answered back, aiya u come here for wat? Waste time only, you're only using a point and shoot, what can u come out with?( by that i take it he means wat i can produce) and your stupid flash not strong enough , it's spoiling my photos. Can you get lost can?

(Well at this point in time , i was wondering if my insurance company would cover certain damages to my camera that was cause by blunt force trauma.) But i digress, i told him nicely, or as nicely as i could, "Sir what every the case might be, I'm the designated photographer for tonight, so pls, keep your comments to yourself."

Then he gones on to accuse me of lying about my qualifications to get this particular gig. I'm like wat? The client, knows very well what equipt i use and my back ground. And now, every time i try to frame a shot, he comes and stands in front of me, blocking my way. Everytime he does it i tell him politely to move , you're blocking my shot. He tells me to go home small fry, You cannot compete with me.

I'm barely inches away from hammering him into the carpet, when the Mc finally notices, He asks me if there's any problem, i point to the rude fella and say ya, he's blocking. (the MC of the nite was a fren of mine) The MC tells the fella, Sir please step back from the stage and let our photographer do his work, over the mike by the way which meant the whole ballroom heard.

The stubborn fella take one step backwards and stays there. I give up, i do wat i was paid to do. After the awards ceremony, is the dance item, ppl on stage, stuff like that, entertainment. I'm doing my work, taking shots of the dancers and the bugger comes back and says to me eh, you play enough already or not? The PRO wanna shoot!

At this point in time..... i was like watever man... do wat ever u like... i've got wat i needed to shoot, the important stuff . You can go on thinkin your the pro...

I mean geez... so ur camera cost soooooooo much more then mine... so wat? That make u a pro? Bullsh@t man... with that kinda attitude i mean WTF MAN?!??! Looking down on ppl becoz his equiptment is not the most ex...

(side note, i spent the rest of the nite shooting with my holga, wonderful, i skived off his flash, no need to use mine.)
    If you threw your 5700 + SB-80DX at him, I believe most us here would be willing to chip in for the repairs.

Unfortunately, being professional, is not all about equipment, it's the way you bring yourself across and it's also about respecting others. Ignore such people, D2X big deal, chey, there are at least a few thousand D2Xs in SG,

I also shot weddings/ROMs with my 5700+MB500+SB-80DX also, who say cannot deliver?? That D2X user deserves to have your setup thrown at him.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by jamestan
    Then I using CoolPix 4600 now...

Quote Originally Posted by jamestan
    Many of us kena sai. But never accept sai from a rude-dude who uses his superior buying-power to trample upon us plebeian-camera users.

Quote Originally Posted by Drudkh
    200mm prime or 70-200mm?
    not many D2X users i believe. pretty easy to identify.
    gulp!.....

hmm...never heard of the church of st vincent de paul. i only know the church of sts peter and paul.

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Then I using CoolPix 4600 now...
    u worse than **** then!

i'm just using a pin hole!
    HOW!

that's really patient of you

i'll probably just tell the MC to get that guy to leave the event by his first comment.

look guys

the reason why a lot of you bother to post replies to this thread is because ultimately,

deep down inside,

a lot of you still acknowledge the notion that high end is better.

just admit it.

whether the guy who use high end is arrogant or not.. thats a different story.
    now lets stop this bickering and lets all move on.

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 367891013 ... LastLast