Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 271011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Pro = high end equipt?

Default Re: Pro = high end equipt?

PRO photographers = their profession/job/business is photography.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovehouse
    cos i know its a love of taking pictures and im not stuck in a case of "penis" envy amongst them. I deliver the goods and its comforting to tell me that my pictures turned out better than the other dude with the L lens or the 1D body with battery pack for flash, 3 different lens pouches hanging on his already about to drop pants, complete with matching khaki checkered shirt and pants. (subnote: safari?)
    A lot of people define themselves by brands or expensive equipment. On this forum, I see "Nikonians", "CanonGraphers" and "Minoltians" - does it matter which brand a good picture was taken with? I see people posting their extensive equipment lists - does that help them take better photos or does it help their egos? I see people going after apparel which advertises specific brands - maybe it makes them feel more "pro"? I see many pictures that show the line-up of fancy equipment people bring along to outings. (They then arrange their fancy tripods and monster lenses in one big firing-squad line to take the same photo in sync.) I see people walking around in groups at a crowded street market carrying heavy SLR bodies with flash, battery grip, massive tripod, vests, big bags, etc. and taking a few snapshots that would turn out just as well with a hand-held point&shoot.

And after the shooting session, people go home and discuss their multi-processor, multi-GHz, multi-gigabyte computers with multiple 20" LCDs they use to generate a so-so 400x600 pixel picture for posting on Clubsnap.

It's obvious that for many, it's not so much about photos, but seeing and be seen, having, and showing it off.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleWolf
    A lot of people define themselves by brands or expensive equipment. On this forum, I see "Nikonians", "CanonGraphers" and "Minoltians" - does it matter which brand a good picture was taken with? I see people posting their extensive equipment lists - does that help them take better photos or does it help their egos? I see people going after apparel which advertises specific brands - maybe it makes them feel more "pro"? I see many pictures that show the line-up of fancy equipment people bring along to outings. (They then arrange their fancy tripods and monster lenses in one big firing-squad line to take the same photo in sync.) I see people walking around in groups at a crowded street market carrying heavy SLR bodies with flash, battery grip, massive tripod, vests, big bags, etc. and taking a few snapshots that would turn out just as well with a hand-held point&shoot.

And after the shooting session, people go home and discuss their multi-processor, multi-GHz, multi-gigabyte computers with multiple 20" LCDs they use to generate a so-so 400x600 pixel picture for posting on Clubsnap.

It's obvious that for many, it's not so much about photos, but seeing and be seen, having, and showing it off.
    this remind me that today is the photoshooting competition right? no wonder CS so quiet. ha ha.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Yeo
    this remind me that today is the photoshooting competition right? no wonder CS so quiet. ha ha.
    And some are probably carrying their equipment along in cars with spoilers and aluminium wheels that save valuable milliseconds while standing in a traffic jam, or 4 wheel drive SUVs that make sure they don't get stuck in the wilderness of Orchard Road.

haha Littlewolf..you are really good at this

Singapore have a lot of stuckups. he is just a typical example. So what if you are rich? Majority of us don't have $600,000 salaries you know?

$600000 is just peanuts, once said Mrs Goh.

Quote Originally Posted by gary wong
    Majority of us don't have $600,000 salaries you know?

Quote Originally Posted by gary wong
    So what if you are rich? Majority of us don't have $600,000 salaries you know?
    In a lifetime can lah ....
    Nikon 4 & lots of hollow chunky glass

last time in chingay parade.
    This freaking old guy slinged a 10d and another cam which i think is 1d or something with big longass lenses.

My friend is shooting with his olympus OM. Then that old fart beside him give him that "haha newbie kid, cant compare with my uber l337 equipments". My friend heck care him.

The the old fart start commenting about his equipments and say the OM manual is a outdated old toy camera. My friend felt like smashing him with the camera like a morningstar.

Then the old fart start chatting with his friend and talk about shooting street photography. The reason he said is because street photography is the easiest, just shoot people. His friend later commented that street photography is in fact one of the hardest.

There is a fine line between random street snapshot and street photography. and high end equipment doesnt mean skillfull.

Always remember this .. [sorry if you are not Christian, as I don't know the equivalent in yours ]

Luke 14:11
    "For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted."
    Nikon 4 & lots of hollow chunky glass

my lecturer once told me
    pro doesnt always mean super skillful, just that they earn money from shooting.

i have seem some pro photographer here who earn money from shooting but the quality is only so-so, just that they are technically correct but nothing impressive.

cant say much about myself since im a newbie started photography recently

Agree with you bro. Doesn't mean expensive gears will bring excellent photos. It's good that you've proved him wrong with your equipment.

As for me, I don't really care what equipment you use as long as the photos turned out good. To me, as long as the photos you produced are good, you're considered a pro to me. Yet again, everyone has got their yardstick of good. The style that we have adopted may or may not appeal to an individual.

Pro != High End Equipment, Pro = Good Working Attitude + Good Photos!

But surely, bring pro doesnt mean having the best lenses and the best machines. I use a very humble EF-S kit lens on my 20D for events. and i have gotten the sneers and laughs from other event photographers to the point of telling me : No L lens , no PRO body. how to be serious?!

I just keep quiet and smile. cos i know its a love of taking pictures and im not stuck in a case of "penis" envy amongst them. I deliver the goods and its comforting to tell me that my pictures turned out better than the other dude with the L lens or the 1D body with battery pack for flash, 3 different lens pouches hanging on his already about to drop pants, complete with matching khaki checkered shirt and pants. (subnote: safari?)

Bigger flash, new body, SUPER lens but no good picture?

Who has the last laugh?
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

hahahaha

A lot of people define themselves by brands or expensive equipment. On this forum, I see "CanonGraphers" - does it matter which brand a good picture was taken with?
    Please do not drag CamonGraphers into this. If you don't know why and what are the objectives of forming CanonGraphers, then please do not flame us.

Please read the following http://canongraphers.tripod.com/id1.html

Thank you.

Don't force me to take out my Leica M6 and knock on this guy's head!
    Most likely he is a newbie with loaded pockets and trying to show off with big big cameras!

Hell yeah.If you look back into the history of CS, they migrated over from Hardwarezone,therefore they are more likely to place the emphasis on equipment over the aspects of creative artistry and the skills, attitude towards how a series or photo is conceptualized.

Some of us stand firm, let's help the new ones along to ensure they do not fall into the trap of having a pissing contest for the sake of their shiny gear, which merely proves that they are working for their camera, instead of having their camera working for them.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by green_leaf
    my lecturer once told me
    pro doesnt always mean super skillful, just that they earn money from shooting.

i have seem some pro photographer here who earn money from shooting but the quality is only so-so, just that they are technically correct but nothing impressive.

cant say much about myself since im a newbie started photography recently
    As what Paul_Yeo says, PRO photographers = their profession/job/business is photography,

And there many levels of standard of pro so you statement is correct, but a pro need to stays alive in the trade, he/she need to know more than just photography alone.

Most pros would prefer to stay low profile regarding what equipment they use, one type prefer to use the lowest range equipment to generate maxium profit, another type believe in using the highend range equipment just to have less worry about equipment failure and to shut other people mouths about equipment talks.

We always mock at someone if he/she keep boasting about how good or expensive the equipment he/she uses, the reason is very simple, what to make a guess?

A pro will be more concern about will he/she be staying in the trade tomorrow rather spend time arguing on all this teeny-weeny stuffs, so you seldom see a pro waste time response to this kind post.

Quote Originally Posted by green_leaf
    A pro shoots for his client but not to shoot photos that look "impressive".

Quote Originally Posted by XXX Boy
    Don't force me to take out my Leica M6 and knock on this guy's head!
    Most likely he is a newbie with loaded pockets and trying to show off with big big cameras!
    When I looking at your signature, I don't know who is talking about who?
    Why donít you use your hassy to smash your own feet?

But surely, bring pro doesnt mean having the best lenses and the best machines. I use a very humble EF-S kit lens on my 20D for events. and i have gotten the sneers and laughs from other event photographers to the point of telling me : No L lens , no PRO body. how to be serious?!

I just keep quiet and smile. cos i know its a love of taking pictures and im not stuck in a case of "penis" envy amongst them. I deliver the goods and its comforting to tell me that my pictures turned out better than the other dude with the L lens or the 1D body with battery pack for flash, 3 different lens pouches hanging on his already about to drop pants, complete with matching khaki checkered shirt and pants. (subnote: safari?)

Bigger flash, new body, SUPER lens but no good picture?

Who has the last laugh?
    Wooh... I love what you said. Sounds good.

Some of us already know that it's the person using the camera that matters, not the camera.

Come on... any "pros" out there wanna duel? I use my humble EOS 300V against your EOS 1V.

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 271011121314 ... LastLast