Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Damn Heavy Lens

Quote Originally Posted by alfie View Post
    I usually travel with a D810 + 24-120/4. Its light to me, but i got friends who will scream that its a 10 ton white elephant. (They use mirrorless) So to each their own
    I find the 24-120 f4 zoom lens quite versatile for traveling, I don't have to change to other lenses that often.
    But i do feel the weight towards the end of the day because it's not a light lens.

Default Re: Damn Heavy Lens

I carry my Tamron 150-600mm. What's the point of having good quality photography gear and being too scared/lazy to use it outdoors?

IMO too many people spend too much time typing on the internet about how bulky and heavy gear is and less time out taking photos. I'd rather get sweaty and carry the gear to get the photo than spend time writing about how heavy it is.
    Check out my site here for reviews, articles & free guides!
    http://davidcandlish.photography

take in consideration you will carry water bottle and umbrella when traveling so dont over pack with equipment

Before going on any trip I usually research and call up satmaps of the area, and then I know what to carry and what I wanna shoot.
    as a rule of thumb I don't carry any large lens unless there's wildlife or long-range needed.
    Else one UWA lens, one Walkabout and two fast primes.

I used to own a Nikon DSLR. I have since swtiched to Fujifilm XT-1. It's so much lighter. I can pack a tripod, camera body, 1 wide angle, 1 35mm prime all in a normal haversack and it's still less than 5kg. If you really need the higher resolution that other system offer, then no choice la.

Quote Originally Posted by CamInit View Post
    Bringing along is one thing. Carry along is another. I tend to bring more lens but only carry those that might be useful for particular parts of the trip. The rest stays in my bag back in the hotel room or on the bus depending on the type of travel.
    I do the same thing. For example, I will bring out different lens out for shooting in day time vs evening. The rest of lens stay at the hotel.

"Heavy" is relative to how the gears are packed and carried. I can carry more gears using backpack for day hike. Will just use small bag for simpler setup for evening outing.

Problem for me is not how heavy the lens are. It lies whether I could get the lens and some belonging to that location or not. Like going to Churchill, Canada. Plane allow 10kg, heavy gears can kiss this goodbye. Imagine 5kg of setup, 5kg for winter clothes for few days over there for polar bear? But the train ride is almost 100 hours in total, make sure must able to take it, haha!
    Another kind, climbing up. Can I able to take it? Up is easy, coming down is like seeking dead with those gears! Must use tripod as support as one miss step, will cause me to be seriously injured. But if I make it alive, rewarded own self with stunning photos and a good weight lost, haha!
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12