Thread: Nikon 24-70mm f2.8 sticky zoom issue repair cost

Default Nikon 24-70mm f2.8 sticky zoom issue repair cost

Hi, does anyone know the approx repair cost (service centre or external) for zoom stiff on 24-70 lens? Thanks!

Default Re: Nikon 24-70mm f2.8 sticky zoom issue repair cost

Quote Originally Posted by ovaltine View Post
    Hi, does anyone know the approx repair cost (service centre or external) for zoom stiff on 24-70 lens? Thanks!
    Contact Nikon tmrw, see what they say....
    See my WTS items.. :) Any sales is by meet up face to face, payment is cash only.

Check the 24-70 VR thread.. $900 and nikon will replace the lens entirely

Sure ????

Quote Originally Posted by stevepow View Post
    Sure ????
    Your question "sure ????" as in the cost is $900 or the replacing the whole lens as a parts?

btw, yes, they do that.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

It is not guess work for me as the Pinoy lady who work at the Nikon service counter told me directly after the initiate examination of my lens over a week it was sent in. I could either pay $80 for the check up if I don't want to accept the repair cost. She told me they will replace the unit with a new one but no HOOD, BOX & MANUAL.. I did this repair in 2013.

For a fee of $900. It is a new lens and with a new serial number but no warranty card. I am fine with that. It is a fantastic lens and brand new... how good a deal it is when you think about this lens as one I will normally use till it dies. I am not a buy and sell person. If I could afford to buy it the first time, $900 is not a stretch to pay if you want that kind of quality and built. But sure if over time your interest has wane, your are earning less or has other priority with your money then that is a tough choice for sure.

I have no girl to maintain so I am good heheheh

BTW.. before that replacement deal, my zoom was getting a bit stickybetween the 24mm to 50mm region. Was never a problem for me anyway. It was just sharp sharp sharp. That is all that matters for me.
    Last edited by sammy888; 18th August 2015 at 06:12 PM.
    A good photo's 45% you, 45% practice & 10% equipment. A bad photo share the same ratio.

Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    It is not guess work for me as the Pinoy lady who work at the Nikon service counter told me directly after the initiate examination of my lens over a week it was sent in. I could either pay $80 for the check up if I don't want to accept the repair cost. She told me they will replace the unit with a new one but no HOOD, BOX & MANUAL.. I did this repair in 2013.

For a fee of $900. It is a new lens and with a new serial number but no warranty card. I am fine with that. It is a fantastic lens and brand new... how good a deal it is when you think about this lens as one I will normally use till it dies. I am not a buy and sell person. If I could afford to buy it the first time, $900 is not a stretch to pay if you want that kind of quality and built. But sure if over time your interest has wane, your are earning less or has other priority with your money then that is a tough choice for sure.

I have no girl to maintain so I am good heheheh

BTW.. before that replacement deal, my zoom was getting a bit stickybetween the 24mm to 50mm region. Was never a problem for me anyway. It was just sharp sharp sharp. That is all that matters for me.
    You forgot about the repair warranty offer by Nikon Service Centre, so that lens does have a warranty, a shorter one.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    You forgot about the repair warranty offer by Nikon Service Centre, so that lens does have a warranty, a shorter one.
    Don't recall them offering me that when I was there. Not even on the day I went to collect it. Would not have taken it in any case. They gave me a 1-2 weeks warranty or something like that. So far both times the lens (along with my D4) was dropped, first time ( boss's son who never fork out money to repair) and then the present time dropped from my DSLR body during LKY funeral drive-by. And warranty don't ever cover dropped lens. So a warranty to me is useless after so many decades. 95% of my equipment has never need any warranty redemption nor an equipment recall exercise. But for those who have a phobia about it should get it if they wish.

I rather take an insurance coverage when I travel oversea with my gear. But that's just me.
    A good photo's 45% you, 45% practice & 10% equipment. A bad photo share the same ratio.

This 900 'repair'from NSC still on ?
    Need to send my 2470 for repair cos zoom ring is getting stiff around the 50-70 range

You can try to ask but I am wondering if they offer this to lens with part damaged or adjustment instead of really bad component damage. Mine was internal part damage and a reverse denting from the lens barrel even if the AF and Zooming was still fine but there was a grinding sound and some sticky. In fact after the fall the sticky was less apparent heh. You have to send in to see what they say.

My only fear is if this is abused. If every one does this too often over real case to replace, they just might jack up the price.

Blog Entries

This 900 'repair'from NSC still on ?
    Need to send my 2470 for repair cos zoom ring is getting stiff around the 50-70 range
    Bro check my post in the 2470 vr thread on how to prevent this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Bro check my post in the 2470 vr thread on how to prevent this problem.
    Too late liao...

Too late liao...
    Dont feel bad, at least you send to official service centre to repair, instead of some shops who you donno really got change out bad parts, or just slap on some grease and charge you few hundreds of dollars.
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

Blog Entries

Too late liao...
    After repair can still do it bro, prevent it from happening again.

Quote Originally Posted by ovaltine View Post
    The repair cost will depend on which part has to be replaced.
    For example, the lens was dropped and the rear part hit the ground first. in some cases only the rear fixed unit needs replacement.
    The part cost around U$50 online
    9815-1974
    FB: Hilos Camera Repair

Any idea the cost to fix dead AFS on this 24-70 lens?
    D800 | N 50/1.8G | N 24-70/2.8G | T 150-600VC | S 35/1.4DG

Quote Originally Posted by boxerfan View Post
    Any idea the cost to fix dead AFS on this 24-70 lens?
    The 24-70mm SWM is a tough motor. I don't think it will get busted due to typical wear and tear
    I have seen a number of 24-70/2.8 with AF problem, most of the time, the problem is due to loose felt cloth from the focusing ring.
    To fix this problem, I just clean the motor and it works.

As a preventive measure, if you notice that the focusing ring turns a bit loose, get your lens checked ASAP before the problem gets serious
    9815-1974
    FB: Hilos Camera Repair