Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lousy 995 response time.

Default Re: Lousy 995 response time.

Not only ambulance. I called 999 at abt 3+AM. Took them 15 minutes to reach my house. If the bugger outside my door not a simple ahpek who drunk or have mental prob, and has firearm, I think I would be a haunting disturbed spirit.

and I wonder who said "It is normal, that when you are waiting for something, it seems forever"
    Last edited by rinaldi86; 8th October 2005 at 12:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by arampan
    A friend of mine recently passed away from a heart attack. I understood that it took 30min for an ambulance to reach his place. His place is near town and it happened around 4am...

I somehow kept feeling that he may have survived if they actually came earlier. Donno if his wife will bring up an inquiry...

i think your friend's wife should bring up an inquiry (although she'll probably get the standard replies) but it'll also be good for her to write to the papers as well, judging by the scenario you described, things look very wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by soma
    At last a first class citizen...............................

my last reply to you.
    So you don't really have a clue what you are talking about, right? Its good that you choose to disengage then......

how did you know the ambulance took 30 minutes?
    were you there to time the entire response time?
    i suppose u "knew" that its 30 minutes by word of mouth from the wife or friends. In that case, I suppose its only fair that you take it with a pinch of salt and not make such sweeping statements about our local ambulance services.

well instead of criticizing our local system, I suppose time could be better spent on learning first aid resuscitation.

Quote Originally Posted by fatsoontheloose
    how did you know the ambulance took 30 minutes?
    were you there to time the entire response time?
    i suppose u "knew" that its 30 minutes by word of mouth from the wife or friends. In that case, I suppose its only fair that you take it with a pinch of salt and not make such sweeping statements about our local ambulance services.

well instead of criticizing our local system, I suppose time could be better spent on learning first aid resuscitation.
    Absolutely Right!

Arampan, don't mean to be insensitive to your friend's family in this tragic time, but some times emotions and stress can really play havoc with judgement. Maybe they should cool down a little first. By all means, write in and ask about the response time, the SCDF get letters ALL THE TIME. I'm sure they will respond and maybe you can get a better picture.

Truth is, if the patient had suffered a cardiac arrest and collapsed, and NOBODY started CPR IMMEDIATELY, he would most likely not make it. If someone is lying there in a collapsed state without CPR, within 3-4 minutes, his chances of survival is significantly diminished and certainly by 10 minutes he is almost certainly gone. With the best will in the world, it is rare that an emergency response team can get to you within 10 minutes of collapse (not from the time of call, mind you).

Sorry for your friend arampan. It could have been averted if cpr was administered to ur friend during the time spent waiting. It is true that it is more important to offer basic first aid and cpr to the victim. Apart from St John's, Red Cross societies, all dive shops with Emergency First Response instructors can teach First + Secondary Aid with CPR and Emergency defibrillator if they have that equipment.

Although we are not living in USA where everyone HAS to stop when they hear/see an ambulance, I think we shouldn't be thinking that there's a group of medical personnel wide awake and fully equipped in their uniforms ready to rush out to their vehicles once a call is made. And even then, not everyone is a taxi driver, know all the roads in Singapore. In the dead of night having woken up from slumber and cruising down the road, sometimes one can get quite lost even when they don't mean it.

I'm sorry for your friend. I've have done my attachment with the SCDF ambulance during my medic cse before so i know how family members feel when the ambulance arrive late on scene, but i can tell you that during my attachment, the ambulances are always rushing from incident to incident with little time in between to take their meals or shall i say just grab a bite. The paramedics and ambulances drivers work their arse off to save lives!

All the crew ask for is a bit more understanding from the public. As a fellow member of the life-saving community i would like to ask for the understanding they need from everyone so they know that their work is not in vain and have the moltivation to carry on saving lives !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12