Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: cant decide between these 3 tripods

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    where the meat meats my teeth
    Posts
    59

    Default cant decide between these 3 tripods

    hi everyone,

    i'm kinda spoilt for choice between these 3 tripods and would like some advise.
    Tripod 1: Manfrotto 055mf3
    Tripod 2: Gitzo G2227
    Tripod 3: Giottos Mt-8170

    I'm currently using a nikon D70s with 2 lens ( 70-300mm and the kit lens) but have not decided on which tripod and ballhead to compliment the camera.

    I'm choosing these 3 tripods as I do not need to stoop or bend down to look through the viewfinder ( cos with ballhead n max tripod height it should be about eyelevel for me).

    What I cant decide over is
    1) does country of manufacture matter for CF tripods?
    2) how important is weight?
    do i go for the giottos because it can support 5 more kgs compared to the other two? ( more future proof??)
    3) how does these 3 tripods stack against those imitation or clones from china?

    My main use for the tripod
    1. night photography
    2. group shots
    (going to dabble into the below when i have time)
    3. macro
    4. etc

    Please chip in and help me arrive at a suitable tripod n ballhead
    thanks!!
    duntellu

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,574

    Default Re: cant decide between these 3 tripods

    i got Gitzo 2228. got it for (a combination of) reasons like,
    . build quality (tops regardless of country of origin)
    . weight (2kg-legs oni)
    . versatility (speedily set-able adjustable off-centre centre column)
    . ease of use (if it slows u down too much, dun buy)

    its pricey but i was upgrading constantly anyway, so d 2228 is my final upgrade. i reckon it 2 b a competent tripod even after yrs of use!

    constant upgrade is a waste of $$!! old stuff depreciates in value- u loose $$!!
    Last edited by sORe-EyEz; 4th October 2005 at 01:17 AM.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    where the meat meats my teeth
    Posts
    59

    Default Re: cant decide between these 3 tripods

    tats rite....thats my mindset too.
    wana get a good tripod then use it for a longer period instead of upgrading it every few years..
    just cant decide if i wana get the clones or the real deal .....tough choice:P

  4. #4

    Default Re: cant decide between these 3 tripods

    G 2227 but I think CP has stopped carrying this model, only G2228 (4 sections) is available according to him. I got the G2220 though.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Beyond Space-Time Continuum
    Posts
    6,324

    Default Re: cant decide between these 3 tripods

    Get 1 that suits the following.

    1. High enough for you
    2. Can hold enough weight for future use.
    3. Light enough to carry for a few hrs.
    4. Within your budget.

    Anything else is not a problem.

    I am using a feisol CF tripod with a 486RC2 ballhead. wonders well for me so far.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Astin Studio
    Posts
    4,737

    Default Re: cant decide between these 3 tripods

    Anyone of the 3 will do, get the cheapest one since u are not sure.
    I think there is no "perfect" tripod, it is either too heavy or too light, too long or too short, too bulky or too small, currently I use Manfrotto 190B, its heavy but strong, its tall when open up but bulky when carry around.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,574

    Default Re: cant decide between these 3 tripods

    somehow agree there's no perfect tripod - wish mine was cheaper!

    anyway i got a table-top tripod 4 portablility. max load of 1.5kg is a huge drawback though.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    where the meat meats my teeth
    Posts
    59

    Default Re: cant decide between these 3 tripods

    thanks guys!!

    i drop by one of the photo shops n play with these tripods to get a better understanding which one feels more right to me
    hee hee

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    DEATH*
    Posts
    604

    Default Re: cant decide between these 3 tripods

    yo, my 190 tripod and velbon ball have been with me for 10 yrs...wat say you?

  10. #10

    Default Re: cant decide between these 3 tripods

    Quote Originally Posted by duntellu

    What I cant decide over is
    1) does country of manufacture matter for CF tripods?
    2) how important is weight?
    do i go for the giottos because it can support 5 more kgs compared to the other two? ( more future proof??)
    3) how does these 3 tripods stack against those imitation or clones from china?
    1. No. AFAIK Gitzo, Manfrotto and Bogen comes from the same factory.

    2. Just get something that weights 2x ur max near the future setup.
    [If someday you are planning to grab the Nikon AF-S 600 f/4 , I am sure you can afford a more versatile tripod ]

    3. I am not anti made in China goods, but for 1/3 the price and for > 5 years usage, your investment now worth every penny later.

    Believe it or not, I bought 190D + 141RC setup 4 years back for $230 and I just sold it for $210 [new one cost $250 and mine one can be said in 8.5/10 condition ] ... be amazed

    IF I were to choose, I would grab the Gitzo G2227 and a Manfrotto 322RC head.
    A nice head for your #1-3 intended usage [not for panoramic landscape tho ]
    Nikon 4 & lots of hollow chunky glass

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    where the meat meats my teeth
    Posts
    59

    Default Re: cant decide between these 3 tripods

    Quote Originally Posted by b18
    1. No. AFAIK Gitzo, Manfrotto and Bogen comes from the same factory.

    2. Just get something that weights 2x ur max near the future setup.
    [If someday you are planning to grab the Nikon AF-S 600 f/4 , I am sure you can afford a more versatile tripod ]

    3. I am not anti made in China goods, but for 1/3 the price and for > 5 years usage, your investment now worth every penny later.

    Believe it or not, I bought 190D + 141RC setup 4 years back for $230 and I just sold it for $210 [new one cost $250 and mine one can be said in 8.5/10 condition ] ... be amazed

    IF I were to choose, I would grab the Gitzo G2227 and a Manfrotto 322RC head.
    A nice head for your #1-3 intended usage [not for panoramic landscape tho ]

    erm....y would the gitzo G2227 with 322rc head be unable to take panoramic landscape?

  12. #12

    Default Re: cant decide between these 3 tripods

    Quote Originally Posted by duntellu
    erm....y would the gitzo G2227 with 322rc head be unable to take panoramic landscape?
    Because its harder to precisely stitch the photos later
    Nikon 4 & lots of hollow chunky glass

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •