Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Olympus TCON 14B

  1. #1
    Member ransoma22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    KTV Lounge Hall
    Posts
    1,212

    Default Olympus TCON 14B

    Is this tele lens selling in Singapore?

  2. #2

    Default

    I believe Cathay Photo is selling it. Maybe even Alan Photo and John 3:16.

  3. #3

    Default

    Just a TCON-14B? Go all the way!

    Check this out :

    The Big Mama

    I won't use that to walk around the street tho.

  4. #4

    Default

    Isn't that what they use for Desert Storm?
    Get the latest news with Today Online Downloader

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,938

    Default

    ~$310 at Cathay Photo.
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

  6. #6

    Default

    Originally posted by mpenza
    ~$310 at Cathay Photo.
    $310 for the big mama, used in Dessert Storm? That's dirt cheap....

  7. #7
    Member ransoma22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    KTV Lounge Hall
    Posts
    1,212

    Default

    Originally posted by togu


    $310 for the big mama, used in Dessert Storm? That's dirt cheap....
    Saw someone quoting 960 bucks for 2nd hand Tcon300.
    The tcon 14B are 310 bucks..tat ex..

  8. #8

    Default

    I have personally tried the big mama at the bird park and the singapore zoo... damn heavy

    I guess it was a bad idea not to bring a capable tripod.

    And I looked like a sniper when I was using that thing

    Did I mention that the next day my left arm was aching from cradling and carrying the big mama on it? phew...

  9. #9
    Member ransoma22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    KTV Lounge Hall
    Posts
    1,212

    Default

    Originally posted by Que Lynn
    I have personally tried the big mama at the bird park and the singapore zoo... damn heavy

    I guess it was a bad idea not to bring a capable tripod.

    And I looked like a sniper when I was using that thing

    Did I mention that the next day my left arm was aching from cradling and carrying the big mama on it? phew...

    Other than the heavy weight + a kewl looking box...
    was the big mama gd?how much u pay for it

  10. #10

    Default

    Originally posted by ransoma22
    Other than the heavy weight + a kewl looking box...
    was the big mama gd?how much u pay for it
    Well, I own a tcon14b which i bought off a fellow clubsnapper at a really good price.

    As for the tcon-300, I rented it from chris_k's rental services (http://www.kevinphotography.com) for a few days. The big mama was quite good... because effectively you are getting a sharp lens that comes out to something like 600mm/f2.8

    That's a fast lens!

  11. #11

    Default

    Originally posted by Que Lynn
    ...
    And I looked like a sniper when I was using that thing

    Did I mention that the next day my left arm was aching from cradling and carrying the big mama on it? phew...


    You didn't scare the birds away?

  12. #12

    Default

    Originally posted by togu
    You didn't scare the birds away?
    aiyah

  13. #13

    Default

    oh yah, forgot to mention...

    when i was disassembling the whole thing after the day's shoot, a bunch of chinese tourists started gathering around me to watch. quite embarrassing eh. especially when you know they're talking about you (and pointing at me with their fingers while talking to their tour-mates).

    then when the tcon14b and the tcon300 had been packed, with the e10 left, one tourist somewhat expressed shock, and his hands were saying something like, "from this big, become so small!" (he was talking in chinese, but his hands and arms said everything )

    quite an experience

  14. #14

    Default



    You'll need some escorts, or mates, if you'll to take big mama out to the streets again.

  15. #15
    Member ransoma22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    KTV Lounge Hall
    Posts
    1,212

    Default

    Originally posted by Que Lynn
    oh yah, forgot to mention...

    when i was disassembling the whole thing after the day's shoot, a bunch of chinese tourists started gathering around me to watch. quite embarrassing eh. especially when you know they're talking about you (and pointing at me with their fingers while talking to their tour-mates).

    then when the tcon14b and the tcon300 had been packed, with the e10 left, one tourist somewhat expressed shock, and his hands were saying something like, "from this big, become so small!" (he was talking in chinese, but his hands and arms said everything )

    quite an experience
    Quite an experience
    the TCON300 is reallie huge...plus some unwanted attention...

  16. #16

    Default

    Originally posted by ransoma22
    Quite an experience
    the TCON300 is reallie huge...plus some unwanted attention...
    I'm thinking the big mama combo (600mm/f2.8) still wouldn't be as big as a canon or nikon camera with an equivalent 600mm/f2.8 (if there was such a thing) ?

    either way, big prime-type lenses do attract some unwanted attention.

  17. #17

    Default

    Big, but it's a nice combo tho. The quality is good too. I believe you don't experience much vignetting.

    And DC users like us don't have much choice to get a 600mm lens actually.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •