Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: long distance traveling bike

Default Re: long distance traveling bike

Quote Originally Posted by CYRN
    I was on a tight time schedule so I need speed, it was then I noticed that the standard mountain bike tyres have a much stronger grip to the road, it was unnessary waste of energy to overcome the ground resistance when your legs are almost numb from cycling. Changed to a skick type and it became a breeze, even when I was tired.

As for the Pad.. believe me, your backside will thank you for it. If you move from town to town in M'sia it ain't gonna be a ride in ECP.

As for hanging bags.. nope I dun have.

Do take note of personal security tho, most ppl I met were friendly but try not to be too flashy in your equipments, especially if you are alone, it's easy to kena sideswipe then robbed.

*edit... I personally feel that it's safer (road satety) to cycle on the road in msia than in sg... mostly dirver's attitude problem here.
    Hi CYRN,

Would you suggest certain bike model and types that you think is suitable for long distance travel? so at least i got an idea to enquire in a shop..Thank you. ya i think the pad is important..

During my uni days, my hostel used to organise cycling trips to Malaysia. 1st rule is, get a cheap bike or don't make your bike look expensive. Forget about buying heavy-duty chain-locks. These thiefs can just steal anything that's not locked e.g. seat, petal, front wheel, gear sprockets, lamps etc. Basically anything!!! Some of my friends even have their so-called heavy-duty chains snapped! And even if the thief can't get away with any parts of your bike, they would scratch and made deep cuts into the metal, seat, types ... Wow.. These guys are professional. Of course, there are precautions to take, like chaining all the bikes together and having a member keep watch on the bikes at all times. When loading bikes onto vans, make sure that the van's security features are intact and robust etc.
    Last edited by eric69; 4th October 2005 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LENS
    Hi CYRN,

Would you suggest certain bike model and types that you think is suitable for long distance travel? so at least i got an idea to enquire in a shop..Thank you. ya i think the pad is important..

As with lenses... I only advice you to get the best setup you can reasonably afford.

And before jumping straight to M'sia... try a Changi-Tuas or whatever ride yourself (with no load) first.

Unless you intend to camp..you need to cover at least 50KM per day from town to town.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Quote Originally Posted by eric69
    1st rule is, ... don't make your bike look expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by LENS
    Hi Drudkh, so slick typres can be fixed on any type of bike right? i am wondering like do issit ok to get a 1 gear only bike for long travel distance? i think the bike normally will be travel on smooth road..

note that the roads are smooth but there are long hilly climb...unless you are talking about N-S highway.. dunnoe of cycling are allowed there. @ 120kmh for motor vech... the draft can be dangerous too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12