Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: long distance traveling bike

Default long distance traveling bike

Hi guys,

If i intend to travel malaysia in bike, what bike you will recommend? it will be helped if u let me know the brand, model and the price range, i prefer less than $200.

or maybe you can enlighten me like what i should take note if i plan to do a bike exploration like these? what i know is like i may need to get spare inner tyre, and bag that hang beside the bike..

Any experts out there?
    Thank you.

Default Re: long distance traveling bike

Get at least a decent hardtail bike. $200 ain't enough.

Account Suspended

Put aside at least $800 to buy a good bike. Your ass will thank you for it.

what should i pay attention to a bike? mm.. issit that expensive to get a budget bike for long distance?ha.

i thought it is a motorbike you are asking.

bicycle for long travelling? i guess the chain you carrying to lock your bike will be the heaviest.
    Cleanse your thoughts, not by the foods you eat.

y don try asking a bike forum instade of here...like
    www.togoparts.com

bike as in bicycle ar...for a moment i was tinking how come bike got 200 or 800 dollar one... was about to suggest any class 2 bike ahhaha

To Thread Starter: are you thinking of Cycling to M'sia?... couple of things to take note if you intend to leave your bike parking for a while, dun make ur bike looks expensive even if it is, get decently sized chain, oversized one will attract attention, dun get too expensive bikes yadayadayada and, be careful of traffic...

Quote Originally Posted by LENS
    Hi guys,

If i intend to travel malaysia in bike, what bike you will recommend? it will be helped if u let me know the brand, model and the price range, i prefer less than $200.

or maybe you can enlighten me like what i should take note if i plan to do a bike exploration like these? what i know is like i may need to get spare inner tyre, and bag that hang beside the bike..

Any experts out there?
    Thank you.
    Can, but can only cycle to JB, how about renting my bike (Gary Fisher) for the same price, g'tee to go as far as Selangor and Genting, he!he!

A sub $200 "utrata" "Aleoga" bike is never enough for this kinda job. Daily commuting to and fro around your area is ok ...to KL is a big

You'd be better of getting something from Kona, Trek or Scott USA. The last thing you want are the parts eg. Deraileurs / chain / cogset / gearings / shifters to koyak halfway and leave you stranded in the middle of no where.

Settle no less than Deore for components from Shimano, recommended - LX / XT / XTR.

Tried before to mersing..

3 things to look up for.

1. Your Seat

I recommend that you get a broad comfy seat

2. Your wheels

Tried both Mountain Bike's wheel and Racer type (on a MB frame)... the latter have much lower ground resistance

3. Your cycling pants

Get those padded types

where you want to ride to? How much things you want to bring?
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Quote Originally Posted by dEthANGeL
    A sub $200 "utrata" "Aleoga" bike is never enough for this kinda job. Daily commuting to and fro around your area is ok ...to KL is a big

You'd be better of getting something from Kona, Trek or Scott USA. The last thing you want are the parts eg. Deraileurs / chain / cogset / gearings / shifters to koyak halfway and leave you stranded in the middle of no where.

Settle no less than Deore for components from Shimano, recommended - LX / XT / XTR.
    In that case, go with a simple, single gear bike.......... Less parts to wear off, and the extra exertion is good for the heart

There's this made in China one-gear bike someone in this forum brought up once that even has springed seats. I am sure you can cycle it to KL. It's just a question of how long you will take and if you're in no hurry, it shouldn't matter.

Just think that 50 years ago, there'd be people who'd have rode these types of bicycles between KL and Singapore. Heck, during WWII, Japanese soldiers rode these sorts of single gear bikes from Thailand to Singapore.........

Account Suspended

what should i pay attention to a bike? mm.. issit that expensive to get a budget bike for long distance?ha.
    I have 2 bikes at home. A cheepo $110 bike and a $900 Gary Fisher.

The difference is unbelievable. I've done many experiments with the two bikes. Results are: Improved gear shifting, better power for climbing hills, greater speed, longer free-wheelin results in less energy wastage, shock absorbers cut shoulder and arm strain by half, full leg extention eleminates all muscle cramps, no rust, superior materials also result in less vibration to your ass... unless you like that sort of thing...

Quote Originally Posted by arampan
    I have 2 bikes at home. A cheepo $110 bike and a $900 Gary Fisher.

The difference is unbelievable. I've done many experiments with the two bikes. Results are: Improved gear shifting, better power for climbing hills, greater speed, longer free-wheelin results in less energy wastage, shock absorbers cut shoulder and arm strain by half, full leg extention eleminates all muscle cramps, no rust, superior materials also result in less vibration to your ass... unless you like that sort of thing...

yeah man, this type of money cannot save want

buy a pair of roller blades instead, easy to keep also.

Quote Originally Posted by CYRN
    Tried before to mersing..

3 things to look up for.

1. Your Seat

I recommend that you get a broad comfy seat

2. Your wheels

Tried both Mountain Bike's wheel and Racer type (on a MB frame)... the latter have much lower ground resistance

3. Your cycling pants

Get those padded types

where you want to ride to? How much things you want to bring?
    Hi CYRN,

So you have been cycling to Mersing?
    You seem like paying more attention on pad and wheels, do you mean what kind of bike doesn't really make big difference?
    I have seen some bicycle that hanging bag in front and back wheel, and so i assume the biker travels long distance with that bike. The bicycle doesn't look high tech like those mountain bike..would you mind to share your equipment for the bike trip to Mersing?

It all depends on how you want to get there. Have a look at this website

http://www.cyclingaroundtheworld.nl/

These guys have been cycling around the world for the last 15 years, guess they should have some useful info for you

Hi CYRN,

You seem like paying more attention on pad and wheels, do you mean what kind of bike doesn't really make big difference?
    I have seen some bicycle that hanging bag in front and back wheel, and so i assume the biker travels long distance with that bike. The bicycle doesn't look high tech like those mountain bike..would you mind to share your equipment for the bike trip to Mersing?
    those are road bikes with slick or semi-slick tyres. like CYRN said regarding low resistance and also better grip on tar roads. you'll need tools for your bike and also don't get quick release parts.
    Last edited by Drudkh; 4th October 2005 at 12:44 PM.

Hi CYRN,

I was on a tight time schedule so I need speed, it was then I noticed that the standard mountain bike tyres have a much stronger grip to the road, it was unnessary waste of energy to overcome the ground resistance when your legs are almost numb from cycling. Changed to a skick type and it became a breeze, even when I was tired.

As for the Pad.. believe me, your backside will thank you for it. If you move from town to town in M'sia it ain't gonna be a ride in ECP.

As for hanging bags.. nope I dun have.

Do take note of personal security tho, most ppl I met were friendly but try not to be too flashy in your equipments, especially if you are alone, it's easy to kena sideswipe then robbed.

*edit... I personally feel that it's safer (road satety) to cycle on the road in msia than in sg... mostly dirver's attitude problem here.
    Last edited by CYRN; 4th October 2005 at 01:02 PM.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Quote Originally Posted by Drudkh
    those are road bikes with slick or semi-slick tyres. like CYRN said regarding low resistance and also better grip on tar roads. you'll need tools for your bike and also don't get quick release parts.
    Hi Drudkh, so slick typres can be fixed on any type of bike right? i am wondering like do issit ok to get a 1 gear only bike for long travel distance? i think the bike normally will be travel on smooth road..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast