Thread: Large Format Printer, to buy or not to buy??

Stratts
    Guests

Default Large Format Printer, to buy or not to buy??

Hi shooters, I've recently had some large (60" * 40") photos printed on canvas and have been impressed with results. Although not overly impressed with the inks ability to stay stuck to the canvas, one of the shots recieved a small drop of water and the ink ran all over the place. Some www research and I realize that my results would be radically improved by using an Epson Stylus Pro 9800, with K3 ink and some waterproof canvas - all sold for an absolute fortune by our mates at Epson.

Prior to investing in such a beast - I was wondering whether any of my fellow shooters would be interested in using it as well so I could defray some of the investment cost over time.

So my question is - how many people would be interested in printing that size shots (on Canvas or any other media) and willing to use my new printer (obviosly some commercial terms would need to be sorted out)?

If I knew another pro or two looking to do similar work then I'm willing to make the investment, but going it alone on an $8k bit of kit that I would use only every now and then would be a waste.

FYI - I'm using a Canon 1Ds MII and the results on large format are amazing, notwithstanding the 600Meg file size....

Stratts

Default Re: Large Format Printer, to buy or not to buy??

Quote Originally Posted by Stratts
    So my question is - how many people would be interested in printing that size shots (on Canvas or any other media) and willing to use my new printer (obviosly some commercial terms would need to be sorted out)?
    Stratts
    You are right!

You are aware of the size of this baby and it will not be like sharing a dog where you pass it to another member each week.

Why don't you set up a printing service where you can make prints of those sizes you mentioned and tell us how much you will charge for each print with paper and without paper.

And if your price is reasonably cheaper than those commercial labs, then there may be some interests.

Hi shooters, I've recently had some large (60" * 40") photos printed on canvas and have been impressed with results. Although not overly impressed with the inks ability to stay stuck to the canvas, one of the shots recieved a small drop of water and the ink ran all over the place. Some www research and I realize that my results would be radically improved by using an Epson Stylus Pro 9800, with K3 ink and some waterproof canvas - all sold for an absolute fortune by our mates at Epson.

Prior to investing in such a beast - I was wondering whether any of my fellow shooters would be interested in using it as well so I could defray some of the investment cost over time.

If I knew another pro or two looking to do similar work then I'm willing to make the investment, but going it alone on an $8k bit of kit that I would use only every now and then would be a waste.

FYI - I'm using a Canon 1Ds MII and the results on large format are amazing, notwithstanding the 600Meg file size....

Stratts
    Interesting.

But den my largest print to-date is nothing beyond A3. A4 is my typical standard print size these days. Does it count?
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

Deregistered

Stratts
    Guests

Thanks Ansel, I think that ultimately that will be the approach I'll take. Just guaging reaction first. I'm sure that I could work out prices that defray the cost and still look better than the commercial printers (given some of them can be expensive) and not providing real quality in terms of matching the right ink with the right media.

For the couple of shots that I have had printed - does anyone know what products I can spray onto these prints that will make the finished product more waterproof. A number of fine art websites talk about finishing products - but alas no-one has named a product for me to track down. The commercial printer said - you should have printed on PVC - ahh you may be missing the point mate....

Thanks Ansel, I think that ultimately that will be the approach I'll take. Just guaging reaction first. I'm sure that I could work out prices that defray the cost and still look better than the commercial printers (given some of them can be expensive) and not providing real quality in terms of matching the right ink with the right media.

For the couple of shots that I have had printed - does anyone know what products I can spray onto these prints that will make the finished product more waterproof. A number of fine art websites talk about finishing products - but alas no-one has named a product for me to track down. The commercial printer said - you should have printed on PVC - ahh you may be missing the point mate....
    PVC is the last thing on earth you want to print anything on, if you need it to last.

THIS....is what u need.
    http://www.inkjetart.com/premier/print_shield.html

If I'm not wrong, Bras Basah Complex has a art shop (Art Friend I think, level 3) that sells those spray cans that contain some kind of protective shield for photos.

Not sure about whether it'll work on canvas though. I think canvas have a different form of treatment to make it last....

Stratts
    Guests

Thanks Ansel and jsbn. I'll have a look at the complex (just near work) and see if they have the same stuff.

Cheers
    Bev

Here are 3 of the shots I had printed on canvas....

http://groups.msn.com/StrattonStudio...nw?albumlist=2

Nice!

Sunsets... They can be sad & lonely or mysterious.
    Mother Nature at work.

Stratts
    Guests

The sunset is a fav (it's a sunrise actually...more time to get it right!!). Took it down at Bunker Bay, Margaret River in Western Australia. Printed as a panograph 60" * 24" - got the idea to stretch it after seeing it as a desktop on dual monitors. ..... hmmm that looks good!!