Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Need recommendation for a small compact cam with large LCD

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    2,156

    Default Need recommendation for a small compact cam with large LCD

    Hi all,

    I'm looking for a compact camera. No budget constraint. Just need the following requirement. Any recommendation?

    Mandatory requirements:
    1. The smaller the better. The slimmer the better.
    2. Larger the LCD, bigger the better.
    3. Good battery life.

    Optional requirements:
    1. any type of storage also can.
    2. Photos quality, not really particular, just some snaps for memory purpose. Photos good enough for 4R print can already.
    3. Zoom: not really impt.
    4. Shutter lag. Not really matter to me.
    5. photo noise. not particular about it.

    So far, I spotted Fujifilm F10, but is there any other smaller than it?
    Last edited by Paul_Yeo; 2nd October 2005 at 10:15 PM.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Need recommendation for a small compact cam with large LCD

    The Fujifilm F10 fits your needs and its already very small, haha.

  3. #3
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default Re: Need recommendation for a small compact cam with large LCD

    Nikon 5900.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Need recommendation for a small compact cam with large LCD

    panasonic FX8/9

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Jurong West
    Posts
    13

    Default Re: Need recommendation for a small compact cam with large LCD

    you can consider sony's T-series. Like T5. quite slim and good image produce. or even panasonic recent lumix fx-8. the one with in-built image stabalizing function. my friend just bought one fx-8 during the comex fair. the image stabalizing works quite well.

  6. #6
    Senior Member wrx_sti_22b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Compassvale Lane
    Posts
    4,952

    Default Re: Need recommendation for a small compact cam with large LCD

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Yeo
    Hi all,

    I'm looking for a compact camera. No budget constraint. Just need the following requirement. Any recommendation?

    Mandatory requirements:
    1. The smaller the better. The slimmer the better.
    2. Larger the LCD, bigger the better.
    3. Good battery life.

    So far, I spotted Fujifilm F10, but is there any other smaller than it?
    Casio Exilim Z-500
    From Pentax to 4/3, back to Pentax and then back to M4/3 !?!?

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    2,156

    Default Re: Need recommendation for a small compact cam with large LCD

    OK, will consider & choose from this 4.

    Casio Exilim Z-500
    Sony T5
    Panasonic FX8/9
    Nikon 5900

    Thanks guys!

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Astin Studio
    Posts
    4,736

    Default Re: Need recommendation for a small compact cam with large LCD

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Yeo
    OK, will consider & choose from this 4.

    Casio Exilim Z-500
    Sony T5
    Panasonic FX8/9
    Nikon 5900

    Thanks guys!
    Sony T5 is the best, only problem is u got to live with proprietary Sony memory stick and Sony battery.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Need recommendation for a small compact cam with large LCD

    If you wan Large LCD (2.7 inch) & Long Batt Life (500 shots), Casio EX-Z500 fits yours requirements. And it's slim also.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Need recommendation for a small compact cam with large LCD

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Yeo
    OK, will consider & choose from this 4.

    Casio Exilim Z-500
    Sony T5
    Panasonic FX8/9
    Nikon 5900

    Thanks guys!
    Just wondering which model did you buy at the end?

    Considering between this few as well

  11. #11

    Default Re: Need recommendation for a small compact cam with large LCD

    If you haven't bought your camera, I agree that either the Sony, Nikon, Casio or Panasonic would give you good pictures.(Don't know about the Fuji) However it also depends on how familiar you are with digital camera interfaces. For a total non-camera user type, I would suggest the Panasonic or Casio, as in my opinion (went through this whole thing a couple of years ago for myself, and again about 6 months ago with a relative) the user interface is the most intuitive and idiot proof. If Anti-shake is an important factor, than the Panasonic, it's easily the best in the compact camera area at the moment, but if battery life is really important, than the Casio, no fight.

    Guess it comes down to which feels most comfortable in your hands.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Need recommendation for a small compact cam with large LCD

    Quote Originally Posted by ldft
    If you haven't bought your camera, I agree that either the Sony, Nikon, Casio or Panasonic would give you good pictures.(Don't know about the Fuji) However it also depends on how familiar you are with digital camera interfaces. For a total non-camera user type, I would suggest the Panasonic or Casio, as in my opinion (went through this whole thing a couple of years ago for myself, and again about 6 months ago with a relative) the user interface is the most intuitive and idiot proof. If Anti-shake is an important factor, than the Panasonic, it's easily the best in the compact camera area at the moment, but if battery life is really important, than the Casio, no fight.

    Guess it comes down to which feels most comfortable in your hands.
    Does the anti shake work with night shots.

    Usually have that problem if not taken with tripod.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Need recommendation for a small compact cam with large LCD

    If you are talking about long exposures without flash, like nitght time skylines or the like, than no, the anti-shake is good but not THAT good. Basically it will allow you to take photos at a slower shutter speed than you normally would. So if you normally can get a blurr free shot at a shutter speed of say 1/30, with anti shake you would be able to get a blurr free shot at 1/15 or 1/10 without too much problems.

    Take a look at the photo of the car at http://photobucket.com/albums/v632/wahtk/

    This was taken at the Singapore Motor show last year using the Panasonic DMC-FX5 which is the predecesor of the FX8 / FX9 and it was shot handheld, at a shutter speed of 1/8.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Need recommendation for a small compact cam with large LCD

    since price is not an issue.... may I suggest the one with the largest screen, (3" freaking inches!) which is the Cyber-shot DSC-N1...

    highlights:
    - Touch screen
    - usable ISO800
    - paint function in-camera (touch screen mah...)
    - 8.3 mega pixel (in case you wanna see nose hair or something )

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •