Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone here switch from using dslr to film slr?

Default Re: Anyone here switch from using dslr to film slr?

talking about film SLRs....

Would people still take up photography if until now, DSLRs have not been invented? I took up digital photography because I was influenced by the 'wonders' of DSLRs. And I think more and more people seem to be interested in DSLRs and all the latest stuff that technology can offer.

If there were no DSLRs, I probably won't take it up.

I think people who are dedicated in shooting film are holding on to the tradition of SLRs whereas the people who shoot digital are creating new purpose to photography - which is to have fun taking pictures.

going back to one question, can you take better pictures when switching?

I wouldn't say I'm switching back to film, but I do on occasion take out my film SLRs and shoot with them. Somehow feels more "shiok". Knowing that every shot must count, you really have to think fast AND think hard before you press the shutter release. Then of course there's that feeling of anticipation as you wait for your negs to get processed by the lab. It's a great challenge.

However, from a learner's perspective, digital cameras are the way to go. It costs virtually nothing to practise shooting, unlike film. But once you've more or less gotten the basics down pat, going back to film is quite a refreshing challenge.

Shooting primarily on digital, but there's no way I'm giving up my film cameras any time soon.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

Quote Originally Posted by DEX

I think people who are dedicated in shooting film are holding on to the tradition of SLRs whereas the people who shoot digital are creating new purpose to photography - which is to have fun taking pictures.
    photography isn't just about pressing the shutter to take the picture. can still have fun post processing be it digital or film mah.

Quote Originally Posted by madmacs
    photography isn't just about pressing the shutter to take the picture. can still have fun post processing be it digital or film mah.
    yeah.....post processing is fun too.

I use both digital & film; got time to play around I'll shot on film, if no time then use a digital to snap away.

Quote Originally Posted by scud
    i started from slr (full manual to AF) to dslr, & i still prefer to shoot film if i have the chance.
    nothing beats the feeling of anxiety to see the outcome of every shot u took.
    A Suggestion: Disable the review display and keep the CF/SD card for a few days before you open up in you comp. Similar anxiety but cost nothing if result turns out back. Digital film is recyclable.

DSLR is the way to go now and the technology that matches slide quality is almost here.

There were 3 labs in my area that used to process E-6, and two of them dont do slides anymore. When It will get to a point where I have to drive miles to process negatives, and courier my slide film to another state, that's when I'll retire the film cameras for keeps.

In the same vein, the resale values of film SLR's are now down to peanuts, and there's no way I will part my old Nikon F3 outfit and will keep it long enough if I have to tell my grand children (!) what a film camera looked like !

i switched..

Quote Originally Posted by madmacs
    Frankly, how many go into film chemistry, darkroom and printing, etc - maybe, B&W could be more accessible.

For digital, you have full control, from shooting to pp to printing - computer and printer and software readily available. And for those into portraiture - accurate skin tone readily.
    I love big car, big house, big lenses, but small apertures.

Quote Originally Posted by smallaperture
    Frankly, how many go into film chemistry, darkroom and printing, etc - maybe, B&W could be more accessible.

For digital, you have full control, from shooting to pp to printing - computer and printer and software readily available. And for those into portraiture - accurate skin tone readily.
    hmm? film cannot ah?

there's no right no wrong woh. ultimately it's all up to the individual. even for digital users, give you good camera, computer, printer and software - if dunno how to use also get lousy results.

anyway i didn't switch. i use both

Justification for film is running out of steam - got to talk chemistry, anxiety of waiting, etc..

Let's admit that there are some differences and pro and cons and the future is digital.

digital...... but now film.

quick, must go quick quick to advise one member in the B&S section. He is selling his D2X to buy a digital back. Oh! my god, he is making grave mistake.

I use both too, each has its pros and cons... as a hobby i think its more fun to shoot on film i learned more from film then from digital (digital just made me go trigger happy )
    Yngwie J. Malmsteen - "...I've never considered myself a fast guitar player..."

Talking Re: Anyone here switch from using dslr to film slr?

After using my friends' various digital slr (1Ds, 20D, D70, D1x), I was a happy user of analog SLR. However, after "enlighted" with my other close friend n the limited power of 35mm, we (me n my friends) move to large format. I am a total newbie in LF (the camera just arrived on end of sept' 05, n i just got the lens n other parts on october n november), so i just used the camera for a few shoots

The LF are open up a new experience for us.. We now can "control" almost everything.. Imho, you should fully understand the limitation of smaller format n digital slr then we can appreciate the beauty of LF.

cheers...

PS: I am still using digital slr n analog slr for photography which need speed

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ho
    Like I mentioned above, I use both film and digital and although I am using digital mostly now I will have no hesitation to use my film camera. I think the links posted by CMOS to be very redundant and based on a personal bias by the author.

First of all, let's take the case of Clark's website. Most 4"X5" film scans are scanned from industrial standard scanners like for example the Howtek drum scanner which is capable of scanning at 8000 dpi resolution with very high d-max and d-min range and resolving power. There is no doubt that a 4X5" film produces better quality than 35mm film, but one just can't take 35mm films scanned using a home-use desktop scanner which costs a couple of thousand and use it as a comparison to 4X5" films scanned using industrial drum scanner that cost 30 to 50 thousands and say that 35mm lacks the resolving power. One too don't compare images shot digitally on a DSLR and compare them to a film scanned from 4X5" transparency which is akin to comparing the number of passenger capacity between a Volvo bus and a Ferrari.

Secondly, we look at Ken Rockwell's website. Mr Rockwell is again using the unfair and redundant argument that 4X5" films scanned at high resolution to be even better than today's pro level DSLR like the Canon 1DsMkII and the Nikon D2X. We have to first look at the format of the camera before judging the quality between film and digital. In another words, compare quality from a 35mm film scanned to that of today's DSLR and compare 120 film scanned to that of today's digital backs. Although you will find that there really isn't any 4X5" digital back available today for comparison to a 4X5" film camera but it doesn't mean that there won't be any in the near future looking at the way digital technology is picking up.

I have personally done a few high-resolution scans from my 35mm films and all I can say is that more dpi during scanning might not necessarily be a good thing. One would be scanning the film grains than the actual image at any resolution higher than 2000 dpi for 35mm films and 4000dpi for 120 films. I have a few 4000dpi scanned images from my 35mm slides that look extremely grainy. Today's DSLR is IMHO way much better than yesteryear's and if you are using a pro range DSLR you will notice that the quality is either on par or even better than that scanned from 35mm films.

The other thing to take note is that it is a lot easier to interpolate a digital picture shot using a DSLR than one scanned from 35mm films. A 5% increment in file size for a scanned image would result in it being slightly blur, but with a picture from a DSLR one have no problems interpolating the files 200% or even more.

To end, there is not really a right and wrong argument here. If one shoot mainly scenery and still life one can choose to use 4X5" films and argue that digital does not come as close as films. But if you are a photojournalist or street shooter, you would probably not be shooting on a 4X5" film camera. So let's be realistic as arguments like these are more often than not redundant and never ending. If one could be arguing about resolving power between DSLR and 4X5" films, so one could also argue about technological advancement between today's DSLR and yesterday's mechanical camera

salient, objective view.

I primarily use film.

Douglas

Quote Originally Posted by sugi
    After using my friends' various digital slr (1Ds, 20D, D70, D1x), I was a happy user of analog SLR. However, after "enlighted" with my other close friend n the limited power of 35mm, we (me n my friends) move to large format. I am a total newbie in LF (the camera just arrived on end of sept' 05, n i just got the lens n other parts on october n november), so i just used the camera for a few shoots

The LF are open up a new experience for us.. We now can "control" almost everything.. Imho, you should fully understand the limitation of smaller format n digital slr then we can appreciate the beauty of LF.

cheers...

PS: I am still using digital slr n analog slr for photography which need speed

You are one rare soul who understands the scope of the photographic process better. Photography to us is a journey to discover not only about yourself and the world around us but also give us opportunity to increase your knowledge, understanding of mindfulness and so on.

Being able to visualize and increase our power of observation with Large format is a sure way to go about progress, growth and be ready for the break through.

Since 1990 when Kodak unveiled the first commercial DSLR costing more than US$30,000 each it is a long way now that almost everybody can afford one with the outburst of Canon 300D in 2003. However serious amateurs after playing around with DSLR for 2-3 years will be short breath for more knowledge and like yourself will go forward.

----------------------------------------
    Photography is to see what reality is
    always offering us and to go beyond.
    To do that is the moment you pick up
    a film camera and putting theory into
    practice.

Last edited by forward; 7th December 2005 at 01:29 PM.

I think I'm doing it all backwards

I started photography with a manual focus camera
    Then I got an auto focus compact, feeling was, "wow its automatic!"
    but the auto focus camera needs manual winding of the film...
    Next I got a fully auto camera that both focus and winds films automatically,
    the feeling? "wonderful! i love technology"
    Now I'm into digital, and again its all fully automatic.
    Maybe someday I'll do manual again with a dSLR... waiting for $

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12