Thread: Why is the Pic Blur?

Default Why is the Pic Blur?

Took this pic in broad daylight trying to test out the camera since i seldom use it. Its at Av mode 8.0 which is the max it can go. But why do the pic not look sharp? The focusing point is in the middle of the pic where the tree is.

Default Re: Why is the Pic Blur?

Firstly, looking at the pic it seems to be taken with a digital compact camera within the 3 megapixel range. I might be wrong as it is quite hard to judge. There are many factors which contribute to blur photos but we have to discern if it is due to handshake, off focusing, a lens with no resolving power, and in the case of digital a CCD sensor with poor resolving power.

In some low-end digital camera you have the problem of both poor lens resolving power and poor CCD resolving power which is why the picture may look blur.

The other issue has got to do with down-sizing of photographs. Any down-sizing done digitally will cause sharpness loss and a little sharpening is needed to bring back the sharpness.

If this picture is taken with a film camera, it could be due also to poor film scanning.

Hope this helps.

looks normal for an S1 to me.

Quote Originally Posted by dennisc
    looks normal for an S1 to me.
    Do you mean Fujifilm S1 pro? Or some compact camera? As revenent mentioned the lens' maximum aperture of f/8 I would take it to be a compact camera. Sorry I am very bad with the types of compact digicams around. They come out so fast I couldn't even digest them.

The photo was taken by a Canon S1 IS. Its a prosumerish compact camera.

If that is the case then I would say the quality is quite acceptable. Maybe a little sharpening in Photoshop might help.

Looks pretty good for a P&S. Wonder what did the OP expect.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

you cant expect much from a pns digi cam. this image from the s1 is already considered very good

Picture sharpness looks pretty alright, but the color looks a little under to me tho'.

The original image can be seen here. The pic was taken with a CP on though.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...Picture252.jpg
    Last edited by revenent; 2nd October 2005 at 09:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Klose
    you cant expect much from a pns digi cam. this image from the s1 is already considered very good

I tried compared this pic with my old pics from G1 and Ixus V2. I think my are better. I think this one maybe not so right - should be better than this esp it is newer and sure tech. has improved. What's wrong - I dun wrong - subjective feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by revenent
    The original image can be seen here.
    I would say the picture is way too compressed. There are compression artifacts visible all over, and blurriness is one such artefact.

For comparison, files from my 1999-vintage 1.3 megapixel point&shoot are about twice the size as this 2 megapixel image.

(EDIT: I checked, and in high-quality setting my 1.3 megapixel JPEG files are even about 5 times larger than your 2 megapixel files.)

I'm not sure what you mean with "original image" - the image files in your first post and at the URL given later are bit for bit identical.
    Last edited by LittleWolf; 2nd October 2005 at 01:48 PM.

what piucture quality is ur pic taken at?

Taken at medium superfine. I also tried taking another shot at another place also on a bright sunny afternoon. But i took it with 2 different f stops 3.5 and 8.0. But the 3.5 one looks much clearer and sharper.....i think it wierld. Thought higher f number is more DOF?