View Poll Results: What kind of PDA do you use?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pocket PC (Ipaq,Toshiba,NEC,Jornada,Asus,Acer,...etc)

23 30.67%
  • Palm, Clié, Handspring, TRG, ...etc

55 73.33%
  • Psion Portable computer (5mx, Revo, 3mx/3c/3a, ...etc)

4 5.33%
  • Others. (like...?)

2 2.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What kind of PDA do you use?

me using the NEC.....not that bad.....

Originally posted by maddog

Are the Linux PDAs ready? Saw some protos earlier this year.
    If u want me to tell u the frank honest truth, no. There is a free distribution for the ipaq which i'm using. But now its more mp3 player, photo tank/viewer and chess machine rather than PDA. Installation not for the faint of heart too if u dun have much unix backgd. The zaurus is linux ready to go with quite a lot of useful apps but from remarks i read its still not as frenly as ppc. But if u want a gadget u can tinker with without waiting for the someone to write a program, it can be lots of fun.

one of the reasons why pocket pc is picking up is because of developer support. just look at their newsgroups.

microsoft.public.pocketpc
    microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer

the software tools used to create pocket pc apps are also free.

Originally posted by maddog
    one of the reasons why pocket pc is picking up is because of developer support. just look at their newsgroups.

microsoft.public.pocketpc
    microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer

the software tools used to create pocket pc apps are also free.
    Palm also wat. Think there is a gcc for palm. For linux, if u got a arm compiler, u cant try porting over some programs immediately. console apps are usually okie, gui ones may need a bit of hacking.

I've had to use two HP Jornadas at work but never considered them for serious work since they were quite unstable and crash prone, thanks to mirco$haft windoze.

Compare the specs. The Pocket PC's use a 200+ MHz CPU (typically) and needs 16-32MB RAM to run at decent speeds. PalmOS does just fine on a 16MHz Motorola dragonball (on my Palm IIIx) and runs just as fast.

The only PDA I could use when I was on vacation was the Palm (IIIx). Batteries used to last for 2 months. When you're in an old rural village try finding a power socket.

However, my Palm decided to crap out. It eats batteries for breakfast now. 2 "AAA"s last for 3-4 days. The Palms I've used seem to do this just after the warranty expires.

Default Re: Re: What kind of PDA do you use?

Originally posted by xdivider

Have a old ipaq i use as a image tank with microdrive as well as image previewer.
    hi,

i am thinking of doing of using a pda as image tank and image previewer/checker as well.

how's the performance in terms of downloading speed and is the screen size enuf for checking pic qlty/sharpness/composition?
    also, how long can the battery last with such usage.
    how do you transfer files to the pda, via cable or using CF sleeve for the ipaq?

appreciate your sharing of experience!

Default Re: Re: Re: What kind of PDA do you use?

Originally posted by beachbum

hi,

i am thinking of doing of using a pda as image tank and image previewer/checker as well.

how's the performance in terms of downloading speed and is the screen size enuf for checking pic qlty/sharpness/composition?
    also, how long can the battery last with such usage.
    how do you transfer files to the pda, via cable or using CF sleeve for the ipaq?

appreciate your sharing of experience!
    I have a dual pccard sleeve but i brought my charger along during my trip so i cant really tell how many days i can go without batteries but the dualie can definitely last a long time. The older 36xx series ipaq have a 12bit colour display so it might be better to get a newer one which supports a higher colour depth. Image quality is reasonable although definitely not as good as a real monitor. The main advantage is u can scroll over the picture in full size and examine the picture in native size instead of just a small image which may not reveal focus problems. basically i put my SM pcmcia adaptor and the microdrive in the slots and transferred pictures from the SM to microdrive. That gives me 1 gig for using smart media with my f601z. More ambitious pple may wanna get a pcmcia hdd. This solves the numbering issue as i transfer the files into a directory using the date for naming.

I'm still using Palm Vx...

Used to have an ipaq 3760; Realised it was more of fun than practical. Batteries don't last long enough for me either. Too bulky to place this pocket pc in my pocket (pun intended).

Now using a Palm M505; It's affordable, slim, lightweight, has a 16-bit colour screen, has a great battery life and serves its purpose well.

who using tungsten t? CHIO man... the screen refresh is really good.. imagine bejeweled no blurring
    "I'm... dreaming... of a wide... angle~
    Just like the ones I used to know~"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12