Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shooting event in jpeg or raw?

Default Re: Shooting event in jpeg or raw?

Quote Originally Posted by kitaro9202 View Post
    i feel that 8gb cf card at most can shoot up to 200+ (raw+jpg)
    That depends on the sensor size, RAW settings, JPG settings...
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    and than?
    Like too little space for more photo

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
    Flickr FB
    Nikon Minolta Panasonic User

Quote Originally Posted by kitaro9202 View Post
    Like too little space for more photo

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

few options to consider:

- buy more memory cards
    - buy big capacity memory card,
    - shoot jpg only
    - downgrade to lower MP camera.
    - shoot shoot shoot shoot, delete delete delete, shoot shoot shoot shoot, delete delete delete,
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

I'll say JPEG and Raw. Just for the in case situation u really end up having a very precious shot with the wrong WB etc.

Slow buffer is because are u shooting in continuous high or just typical usage ?

I prefer to have both RAW + Jpeg, but I usually end up working with Jpeg most of the time. I use the Nikon D7000 / D750, both are armed with dual SD card slots, so things are manageable. Never had real issues with the buffer, since I just snap at most a couple of shots in one go. Rarely use burst rate.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

I prefer jpg for events, reason is efficiency in hardisk space...can u imagine storing 500+ photos in raw for every event u take?

Quote Originally Posted by cirenaiht View Post
    I prefer jpg for events, reason is efficiency in hardisk space...can u imagine storing 500+ photos in raw for every event u take?
    500 photos, 25MB per photo = 12.2GB

With a mainstream 5TB HDD nowadays @ 196 SGD... that's 419 events.

That's more than 1 year assuming you shoot 1 event a day, and over 200,000 shutter counts. Storage is no excuse for shooting JPEG.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythmaker View Post

That's more than 1 year assuming you shoot 1 event a day, and over 200,000 shutter counts. Storage is no excuse for shooting JPEG.
    Interesting calculations, what about shooting with two cameras for a whole day event... probably 800-900 shots per camera; depending on what events. shooting motorsports would easily hit a 1000 per camera.

However, I would say, depending on the style and how confident you're with it--jpeg could be a quicker solution but as many has pointed out. camera nowadays have quite a big buffer and memory cards are getting way cheaper than how it used to be. It doesn't hurt to shoot RAW + JPEG. Usual routine would be to only run through the jpegs, if there's any crucial photos that needs "saving" then i'll seek mr. raw's help on that shot.

my 3cents worth of thoughts

looks like you don't really shoot events,

a few things to consider,

#1, some events that require photographers to hand in photos asap, or upload the photos to the news agencies right after the event, for that shooting in RAW is not an option.

#2, events come in many sizes, some whole day events like weddings or corporate family day, some only last for 30mins like press conference or signing ceremony, not all events that require photographers to shoot 500 photos, some time more some time less.

#3, not all events required photographers to shoot in RAW, especially those low budget projects, all they want is somebody have a camera (any camera will do) to go and shoot, just bring back some photos than can already.

#4, once photographers handed in the event photos and money collected, his job is completed and he can discard all the event photos.

so that really depends on what is the requirement of events , this is the first thing that photographers need to find out.
    Last edited by catchlights; 3rd August 2015 at 10:24 AM.

my assumption is base on the photographers are either hired or appointed as official photographers to shoot private or corporate events.
    so he does has a responsibility to deliver the photos within the specific requirement.

That would also include the assumption that all images are 'keepers'- which is rarely the case. Already during import one can sort out and trash those who didn't come out well.
    Last edited by Octarine; 3rd August 2015 at 12:18 PM.
    EOS

If you are taking on a wedding I would buy an extra card or two, use both jpeg and raw, and pray for yourself.

If this is your first horse race prepare for a learning curve similiar to climbing Mt Everest I imagine...it is unlike anything you think it will be like.
    Last edited by Nikonzen; 3rd August 2015 at 11:48 AM.
    Expand your mind or get left behind

Quote Originally Posted by Nikonzen View Post
    If you are taking on a wedding I would buy an extra card or two, use both jpeg and raw, and pray for yourself.

If this is your first horse race prepare for a learning curve similiar to climbing Mt Everest I imagine...it is unlike anything you think it will be like.
    so just spray and pray??

I think that would might be the best tactic for this bro(if it is wedding-I believe ts posted recently about how much to charge for wedding?). If one is asking jpeg or raw and buffering is a concern than s&p is probably what is going to happen anyhow.
    Last edited by Nikonzen; 4th August 2015 at 09:28 AM.
    Expand your mind or get left behind

Quote Originally Posted by unclejosh View Post
    Interesting calculations, what about shooting with two cameras for a whole day event... probably 800-900 shots per camera; depending on what events. shooting motorsports would easily hit a 1000 per camera.

However, I would say, depending on the style and how confident you're with it--jpeg could be a quicker solution but as many has pointed out. camera nowadays have quite a big buffer and memory cards are getting way cheaper than how it used to be. It doesn't hurt to shoot RAW + JPEG. Usual routine would be to only run through the jpegs, if there's any crucial photos that needs "saving" then i'll seek mr. raw's help on that shot.

my 3cents worth of thoughts
    So you shoot 2000 photos everyday for 365 days a year? Are there that many motorsports event in a year?

Let say you shoot twice a week, each time 2000 photos (and every one of them is a keeper). a 5TB of full raw is still going to last you more than a year.

looks like you don't really shoot events,

a few things to consider,

#1, some events that require photographers to hand in photos asap, or upload the photos to the news agencies right after the event, for that shooting in RAW is not an option.

#2, events come in many sizes, some whole day events like weddings or corporate family day, some only last for 30mins like press conference or signing ceremony, not all events that require photographers to shoot 500 photos, some time more some time less.

#3, not all events required photographers to shoot in RAW, especially those low budget projects, all they want is somebody have a camera (any camera will do) to go and shoot, just bring back some photos than can already.

#4, once photographers handed in the event photos and money collected, his job is completed and he can discard all the event photos.

so that really depends on what is the requirement of events , this is the first thing that photographers need to find out.
    Looks like you are totally ignoring the context of the argument, and missed quite a few things as well.

#1 I have never said shoot in RAW only. For such events, I shoot JPEG + RAW if immediate submission or printing is required.

#2 And the point is? "Some more, some less". We need a number for calculations, and 500 is a good average number.

#3 Where is the pride in the photos? No matter how budget the event is, no matter how lowly paid I am, I still put in 100% effort in my photos. Photos are a representation of me, of my dedication to my work. How much I actually get paid is another matter completely.

#4 Agreed.

hello mythmaker,

let's say for argument's sake... motorsports event happens quite often... be it track day, race or testing... but yes, not all of them would have 2000 shots... some days, a few hundreds (:
    I'm just saying that it isn't quite relevant to do such calculations; sometimes we have other things in the HDD or maybe we could've edited some photos in layers within the HDD that could take up quite a big chunk of space.

anyway,not everyone could afford a 5TB and being the unlucky me... who has experienced triple HDD failure at the same time--HDD in my computer, WD MyPassport and WD MyBook. Lost quite a bit of work there, lucky I'd two HDD in my computer at the time. Being the worried me, I can't afford a Dual Storage of 5TB. (: i'm only working on a Dual Storage of 1TB and another 1TB MyPassport + the 1TB on my comp.

I do agree that "every shot taken is a signature of ourselves". As much as this sounds super silly, I do still have some events photos even from 6-7 years ago.

Rest assure that i was just sharing my point and in no way rebutting (:

Blog Entries

so just spray and pray??
    I spray all the time.... lol

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post

I spray all the time.... lol
    You're good! Don't need to pray.

But I can't say about others.

So you shoot 2000 photos everyday for 365 days a year? Are there that many motorsports event in a year?

Let say you shoot twice a week, each time 2000 photos (and every one of them is a keeper). a 5TB of full raw is still going to last you more than a year.

Looks like you are totally ignoring the context of the argument, and missed quite a few things as well.

#1 I have never said shoot in RAW only. For such events, I shoot JPEG + RAW if immediate submission or printing is required.

#2 And the point is? "Some more, some less". We need a number for calculations, and 500 is a good average number.

#3 Where is the pride in the photos? No matter how budget the event is, no matter how lowly paid I am, I still put in 100% effort in my photos. Photos are a representation of me, of my dedication to my work. How much I actually get paid is another matter completely.

#4 Agreed.
    Brother, no offences, but no wonder people say you dont really shoot events. 2 events per week for an events pro photographer? Want to die of hunger is it? Give you an idea of volume when in busy period: 4 to 5 small events over the Fri-Sat-Sun period, plus another 2 to 3 Mon to Thu, averaging 7 per week. Or it could be a long event but the volume works out about the same, slightly lower. NOT adding other fields of work yet.

If you want to talk about pride of photos, you need to consider backing up that pride too, which means redundancy, backup copies in separate drives, or in an raid array, PLUS another total separate copy in another location. No point wasting all those time and effort creating that pride, but not safeguarding it properly. All these uploading and processing and backup and reduncany takes even more time and money. RAW+JPEG? again, no wonder people say you don't really shoot events. Once the Jpegs are received and used, nobody cares about the RAW anymore. The JPEG is the one used, printed, and circulated all over. Nobody will ever wait for your processed raw to replace the straight from camera jpeg with the processed ones from RAW. Its already too late, the event is over, the news is stale, nobody is interested anymore. Don't waste time.

This is not saying don't shoot raw for events. There is a time and place for raw it really depends upon the job, but majority of the work are shot in jpeg, seasoned event pro already long nailed down their ways to shoot for consistencly without the need for raw. Jpeg photographers are often more conscious of their exposure, color temp, and quality of light.
    Last edited by JasonB; 8th August 2015 at 11:36 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12