Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pls recommend a tripod for travelling

Default Re: Pls recommend a tripod for travelling

no la. left only. but i think u got chopped big time. i bought a NIKON tripod from AP last time, decent tripod that is sturdy with quick release plate. 3 section. $25 only with a bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Isaiahfortythirtyone
    no la. left only. but i think u got chopped big time. i bought a NIKON tripod from AP last time, decent tripod that is sturdy with quick release plate. 3 section. $25 only with a bag.

..... ..... ........super demoralised............

Maybe the price for the Slik SDV 20 is like that? I never checked the price of it with teh otehr stores cos it was liek a lias tminute decision to buiy it.....but the price he offered me for my XD card and the circular polariser were cheaper than other shops like Cathay and Ms so I tot the price of this tripod should be about there...

Quote Originally Posted by Isaiahfortythirtyone
    u mean u bought a tripod that cannot titl horizontally?

i was gonna rec u to get the slik 330pro dx. 1.5kg only. can hold 5kgs. but u bought alrady
    Hi,

Is the Slik330pro dx able to support a D70 with normal lens (max probably 70-200vr- dont have yet though haha)? Been deciding between getting the Manfrotto 190proB but it seems heavy with ballhead added. Also, any idea how much the Slik ones cost?

Thanks,
    tltan

OT abit, same as Boroangel using S5500 camera. But going to Shanghai and Beijing instead during Dec. My question is whether is it advisable to bring tripod (light aluminium type) there while i am with tour group. I am not really worry about taking shots during the day time, its the night shoot that worries me. Because my camera can't deliver good images without a tripod for night shooting (No VR, OIS or Anti-Shake).
    Does Beijing and Shanghai have beautiful night scenery?

Quote Originally Posted by Belano
    OT abit, same as Boroangel using S5500 camera. But going to Shanghai and Beijing instead during Dec. My question is whether is it advisable to bring tripod (light aluminium type) there while i am with tour group. I am not really worry about taking shots during the day time, its the night shoot that worries me. Because my camera can't deliver good images without a tripod for night shooting (No VR, OIS or Anti-Shake).
    Does Beijing and Shanghai have beautiful night scenery?
    Shanghai should have lots of nice night scenes to shoot......for Beijing can't remember....dont think that time we went we ventured out much......I am going with tour group also....just sling it on your body and bring along.....

Ot a bit also......do you find that someimes that pictures you get dont seem quite sharp although you hold the camera really stable liao?

Quote Originally Posted by tltan
    Hi,

Is the Slik330pro dx able to support a D70 with normal lens (max probably 70-200vr- dont have yet though haha)? Been deciding between getting the Manfrotto 190proB but it seems heavy with ballhead added. Also, any idea how much the Slik ones cost?

Thanks,
    tltan

i use 330dx + 486RC2 head to support my 350D with grip, tamron 28-75. total about 1.5kg of weight +/-. no probs for D70.

the 486RC2 head costs $69 with equote from cathay. before GST. can support 6KG of weight.

the 330DX costs $110 with equote from cathay. can support 4.2kg of weight. the new batches of 330dx have a better head than the old versions. its still a pan head, but instead of haivng 2 handles sticking out, there is only one long one there now. i sold my previous 330dx head cos i didn like the handles sticking out. the new ones look much better.

total weight of slik 330dx + 486rc2 is only about 1.5kg. this is lighter than the manfrotto 190prob whcih weighs in at 1.9kg with no head.

slik bag is $10.

Quote Originally Posted by boroangel
    Shanghai should have lots of nice night scenes to shoot......for Beijing can't remember....dont think that time we went we ventured out much......I am going with tour group also....just sling it on your body and bring along.....

Ot a bit also......do you find that someimes that pictures you get dont seem quite sharp although you hold the camera really stable liao?
    Yup same problem here for most of the time. I guess there is a limit of quality which our cam can produce. Therefore i would normally process the images using unsharp mask. I have found a few ways which you can maximise its sharpness by reducing handshake. These methods might have been discussed many times over the forum and i really find them useful to increase sharpness of my images.
    1) Using exposure bracketing (at least will produce one image that is sharp)
    2) Using tripod/stand with timer
    Correct me if i am wrong.

Back to the tripod question, can i hand-carry the tripod to board the plane or must i store it in my luggage back in case of security issues?
    I wonder if getting a monopod will it be a better choice? Will it be overkill for my small prosumer cam?

Quote Originally Posted by Belano
    Back to the tripod question, can i hand-carry the tripod to board the plane or must i store it in my luggage back in case of security issues?
    I wonder if getting a monopod will it be a better choice? Will it be overkill for my small prosumer cam?

Monopods are useful for action shot where you need to switch positions/angles fast but want the extra stability. Generally they are unsuitable for night scenary where exposures can be as long as 30 seconds. Tripods are generally more versatile and a better option for amateur photographers on a budget.

For travel you should place it in hand-carry luggage if you don't want to check it in. Not advisble to carry it in the open though I don't think they'll stop you.

Sorry for bulging in but need to clarify this point, with the security issue nowadays, will there be a problem in hand carrying a piece of 14in metal gadget in hand luggage on board the plane? Does anybody have more to share.

my CF tripod is 26 inches folded. i managed to sling it in a tripod bag and carry it on a tiger airways plane without any problems. not sure about other airlines. call the airline and check? or say what you're flying on and maybe someone else knows.
    Last edited by pai; 16th November 2005 at 08:39 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12