Thread: Canon 18-135mm STM, 18-200 IS II lenses

Default Canon 18-135mm STM, 18-200 IS II lenses

Hi guys,

Recently I have been considering to get myself a Canon 18-135mm STM lens for my 60D but as I do more research I get myself confused and became indecisive .

I have a Tamron 17-50mm VC lens, Canon 50mm 1.8.

I was thinking of selling both my lenses to get either a 18-135mm STM lens or 18-200mm IS II lens.

I'm keen in doing videography so I read up on article that says that STM lenses would fetch me better quality in terms of videoing. But at the same time I would like to go around doing streets photography at my convenience of not having to keep changing lens in between.

Would anyone can advise me better on which lens I should go for?

Default Re: Canon 18-135mm STM, 18-200 IS II lenses

I doubt you will get much IQ improvement with either of the lenses. If going for videoing, manual focus should be the way to go, which if so STM or not shouldn't really matter that much.

For street, it's up to your preference of which focal length you like to use... all of the mentioned can shoot street...
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    I doubt you will get much IQ improvement with either of the lenses. If going for videoing, manual focus should be the way to go, which if so STM or not shouldn't really matter that much.

For street, it's up to your preference of which focal length you like to use... all of the mentioned can shoot street...
    I think for videoing, it depends on the user. Some people might be intimidated by manual focus, especially without focus peaking.

STM is faster and quieter for live view focusing. For normal phase detect focusing I think it's also faster, but then whenever the camera goes to sleep the lens also loses focus (have to half press shutter to focus again). For the range, I feel that 135mm is enough for most uses, but you should decide for yourself if it's enough.

Thanks for the sharing guys!

For image quality you can check the many review sites in Internet. It's the same for video or photo.
    STM lenses have the more silent focus motor (compared to micro motor) which is important of you take video and let the focus track a moving object. You don't want to capture the noise of the focus motor in the video of you want to use ambient noises.
    EOS