View Poll Results: How long??

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1-3 years

    24 54.55%
  • 4-7 years

    13 29.55%
  • 8-10 years

    5 11.36%
  • >10 years

    2 4.55%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: When do u think dslr will every become affordable at the consumer lvl?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    740

    Default When do u think dslr will every become affordable at the consumer lvl?

    I'm sick of seeing all those high prices knowing that it'll be years and years b4 i can ever afford one.
    Hope theres some new breakthru tech that will slash the price of all digicams soon....otherwise DSLRs will juz be another dream sigh...

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong, Pokfulam
    Posts
    1,157

    Default

    the lenses that go along are expensive too, out of my reach.
    Canon 300D, 30D, 5D. 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L, 70-200 f2.8 L IS

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Braddell
    Posts
    267

    Default

    the body will become more affordable but I think the lens will still be quite expensive.........

  4. #4

    Default

    With the increasing number of new DSLR models coming out, you'd be able to find the older models at much cheaper prices compared to their original retail prices... be it old stocks or good secondhand ones!

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,938

    Default

    I believe in less than 3 years time, DSLR and prosumer digicams would fall to the price of the current film-based counterparts.
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

  6. #6

    Default

    Originally posted by mpenza
    I believe in less than 3 years time, DSLR and prosumer digicams would fall to the price of the current film-based counterparts.
    I don't think so it will happen in the next 5 years. For one, there is more complex electronics in digicams, which add to the cost. Second, for digitals there is very high R & D cost involved, and the cycle of new releases is much shorter, leaving less time to recoup the costs. For example, the Nikon F90X and F70 are still selling 8 years after their initial release. It would be hard to find new S1 Pros or D30s just 2 years after their release.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Beijing, Shuangjing
    Posts
    1,213

    Default

    Digital cameras in general be it digicam or DSLR follow the computer trend. Which means the price won't change much but the technology advances. For example, a 6-megapix DSLR like D60 or D100 now cost over $3,500.00. In 1 or 2 years time a 12-megapix or above DSLR will probably cost the same.
    Pentaxian for life ! My Webby
    K-X, DA70mm F2.4. DA 35mm F2.4, DA 18-135 WR

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Perth Australia
    Posts
    2,548

    Default

    Originally posted by art2d2
    Digital cameras in general be it digicam or DSLR follow the computer trend. Which means the price won't change much but the technology advances. For example, a 6-megapix DSLR like D60 or D100 now cost over $3,500.00. In 1 or 2 years time a 12-megapix or above DSLR will probably cost the same.
    Erm hate to say this but for years the cost of computer hardware dropped at a rate between 20% and 40% per year in real terms, for example the first CD rom kit from CL ran out at around 1500 dollars in 1990-1. Low end hard disk prices have halved in actual dollar terms in the past 4 years and the capacity has quadrupled for each dollar spent in the same time period.

    This was particularly prevalent during the the time frame of the mid 80s to mid 90s.

    My guess is that DSLR prices will fall to aroud 2,000 SGD once the holy grail of 15-16Mp full frame sensors is reached and not before. This will probably occur in 1-2 generations of bodies.
    I'm expecting to see massive improvements in frame transfer rates, storage capacity and sensor technologies in the next 5 years. There's some really big changes coming methinks.

    There will almost certainly be a price differential between amateur and professional DSLR's though.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Ang Mo Kio outskirts
    Posts
    754

    Default

    Instead of waiting, y not invest in a mid range or top end film SLR first??In maybe 4 to 5 yrs time, u would prob have quite an array of lenses to compliment the DSLR which u may purchase. Then, U can also enjoy yr passion thru both film and Digital. Digital imaging tech is still evolving, maybe by the time u purchase yr DSLR, u may get a camera wif lotsa features at a reasonable/affordable price. I will probably be scouting ard for a DSLR in 4 to 5 yrs time.

  10. #10

    Default

    Originally posted by kongg
    Instead of waiting, y not invest in a mid range or top end film SLR first??In maybe 4 to 5 yrs time, u would prob have quite an array of lenses to compliment the DSLR which u may purchase. Then, U can also enjoy yr passion thru both film and Digital. Digital imaging tech is still evolving, maybe by the time u purchase yr DSLR, u may get a camera wif lotsa features at a reasonable/affordable price. I will probably be scouting ard for a DSLR in 4 to 5 yrs time.
    can tahan so long meh?

    hopefully, there will still be cameras that have the focal length multiplier (smaller ccd=cheaper consumer dslr?)

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Ang Mo Kio outskirts
    Posts
    754

    Default

    sure.......can tahan one. Now is the time for the manufacturers to test out their cameras on the early adopters. When the dust settles down, then we move in for the kill.

  12. #12
    ClubSNAP Idol Adam Goi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    5,682

    Default

    Originally posted by kongg
    sure.......can tahan one. Now is the time for the manufacturers to test out their cameras on the early adopters. When the dust settles down, then we move in for the kill.
    Yeah...I can vouch that kongg's not alone!

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Singapore bo gway hai!
    Posts
    396

    Default

    erm for me its subjective, its as affordable as can be now or either in many many many years to come...

    i observed that many amatuers already own dslrs......

    Are they affordable to them at consumer lvl?

    bearing in mind this....

    it might nv be affordable.....as in many pple who are still interested in photography may nv buy as they deemed its unaffordable to them.....

    so just for discussion sake, wat constitutes "affordable"?

    to me i feel its affordable as it is as many non pros already own them with quite an array of diff lenses....


  14. #14

    Default

    Originally posted by Revo
    erm for me its subjective, its as affordable as can be now or either in many many many years to come...

    i observed that many amatuers already own dslrs......

    Are they affordable to them at consumer lvl?

    bearing in mind this....

    it might nv be affordable.....as in many pple who are still interested in photography may nv buy as they deemed its unaffordable to them.....

    so just for discussion sake, wat constitutes "affordable"?

    to me i feel its affordable as it is as many non pros already own them with quite an array of diff lenses....

    interesting logic. I guess the message is BUY BUY BUY!

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Singapore bo gway hai!
    Posts
    396

    Default

    Originally posted by erwinx


    interesting logic. I guess the message is BUY BUY BUY!
    but i would like to buy buy buy too.......!!

  16. #16

    Default

    Originally posted by Revo


    but i would like to buy buy buy too.......!!
    My, my... looks like that bright red juicy apple will always be there to tempt us all!!!

  17. #17

    Default

    Sorry I've to beg to differ opinion, I dun think the price will drop to such a level.
    As a business plan as well as marketing strategy, they will discontinue the production of that particular model once there R new model replacing them or once the business goal have been achieved.

    It is actually up to the retailer and flea market to slash the price once the product going/have discontinued, but does anyone or majority of the ppls will still go 4 something which is going or have stop production? (there will not be much service support, mind U!)

    Just my opinion.

  18. #18

    Default

    Originally posted by scanner
    Sorry I've to beg to differ opinion, I dun think the price will drop to such a level.

    As a business plan as well as marketing strategy, they will discontinue the production of that particular model once there R new model replacing them or once the business goal have been achieved.
    Actually, looking at the prices here in the UK we have now seen a massive drop in prices for the latest DSLR entry - the Nikon D100. It's initial retail price was around 1989.00 but that start a downhill plunge almost immediately to around 1700.00 now. However, if you go to the various outlets other than the big retail outlets, we're looking at prices as low as 1200.00. All this in the span of 6 months... and prices are still dropping!!!

  19. #19
    Jerome
    Guests

    Default

    This quesiton is quite tricky. When a new DSLR model comes out, the old one almost always become obsolete quickly in the market. For eg, when the D60 came out, the price of the D30 dropped somewhat for a while and very quickly went out of production about the same time. Think it's a marketing ploy. Cos if they sell the D30 at a much cheaper rate, some people will not be "forced" to consider the D60 and those who have bought the D30 at a higher rate will see red indeed. (I believe there are many pple who only need a D30 but cos they can't source for a resonably priced one brand new or second hand, they decide to pay that bit more and go with the D60 instead.)

    It's like computer. Once Pentium IV is out, Pentium III will still sell for a short while after which it dies completely. But how many of us need a Pentium 4 at 2 GHz? If they were still to sell Pentium 3, I guess it would be less than S$1000! (An average Pentium 4 can be at a typical price of $1200-$2000) That'd be a good buy of course if all you need is a Pentium 3. But no way, you are forced to go with a 4. And for some, a Pentium 2 is all they need. It should cost less than S$500 brand new if possible. Good buy but no way.

    So I don't think brand new DSLR prices will come down to be as affordable as film-based cameras so soon. Your only hope is to consider it second hand when a new model comes out but even then, the former can still be pretty expensive. I think now is a good time to be in digital photography but it is still in its infancy. After all, DLSR are usually for pros, semi-pros and advanced amateurs who can afford them.

  20. #20

    Default

    Originally posted by Jerome

    After all, DLSR are usually for pros, semi-pros and advanced amateurs who can afford them.
    u mean rich amateurs, whatever the skill level.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •