Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: An Ugly Hong Konger ......(long-winded story)

Default Re: An Ugly Hong Konger ......(long-winded story)

Quote Originally Posted by hercules
    and Its kind of irritating when you hear people trying to fake ang moh/hip hop accents or slangs..i got a quite a number of them in my school....
    esp sg gals in US faking accent to tackle ang mo guys...

Quote Originally Posted by sillyme
    i wonder if he was drunk when he got aggressive
    nope...it was 5mins after he step into the bar and started making a fool of himself by proclaiming out loud he's a banana. I mean, you dont go around telling pple you are one, rite? It's for others to judge & label you. It wasnt a joke even. He seems proud making such statements. s-hole!
    Last edited by peppercrab1; 29th September 2005 at 02:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by idor
    ahhhhh....fake accents....that's another of my fav topic. I'm proud to speak singlish and my spoken english is 'sing-song' wan......Yep, damn proud of it!
    Yep, have stayed & worked in UK for 5 yrs, US 7 yrs.....and I still dont have that accent.
    Dunno why some people study abroad for 4 yrs come back with slang & twang.
    Macham kena injected by ang-mo genes overnite!
    Even our LKY/LHL/GCT studied in Oxford, Cambridge, Washington they no slang....

Please don't make him a representation of all foreigners working here. He is an exception or an individual with some fruit problem. Same goes with associating him as hongkonger if he himself cut his ties. Regarding banana, all I can think of are monkeys but again... I know 1 or 2 monkeys who are quite nice and friendly so can't associate with them too...

I am working in a HK base company and to be fair....some of them really talk like that....and when you know them well enought....you'll realized that they are just trying to be humour....like in cantonese we say 串........ but unfortunately most of the time it won't work

yo yo yo.

i once met a spore chinese guy who was speaking with a rather heavy british accent. At that time I didn't know he was sporean, so I asked him where he lived in uk, he said that he's actually sporean but he studied there for 1.5yrs, hence his accent now.

wat a load of BS! I was in Aust for 6 years, and i still sound like a sporean.

Its quite sad lah these people.

oh, these are usually airheads and tanned. There are some airheads who are highly educated though but somehow their intellect sought of got mutated thus becoming SPGs.
    Their vocab is usually limited to 'oral' and 'anal'.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbesyeo
    Its quite sad lah these people.
    ....and pathetic

Quote Originally Posted by AReality
    Recommend u all a documentary:

Journey of Man, by Nat Geo.

We all came from Africa 5o,ooo yrs ago.
    Ah... that explains why affro hairstyles apply to all races....

I work at a Japanese Firm for 3 years liao. During this 3 years, i feel that my english has degrade. Now when i speak, i feel like i am speaking Japanese version English, which sucks.

Sigh......how to regain my proper English?

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard Ong
    I work at a Japanese Firm for 3 years liao. During this 3 years, i feel that my english has degrade. Now when i speak, i feel like i am speaking Japanese version English, which sucks.

Sigh......how to regain my proper English?

Watch Channel 5, BBC, CNN and boycott channel 8 and the likes of it ...hehehehe

Quote Originally Posted by AReality
    Recommend u all a documentary:

Journey of Man, by Nat Geo.

We all came from Africa 5o,ooo yrs ago.

Ya I caught that documentary sometime back...it is coming around again soon. That show sure put a dent on all those bigots and sons of a woof woof. heheh.....

Quote Originally Posted by peppercrab1
    oh, these are usually airheads and tanned. There are some airheads who are highly educated though but somehow their intellect sought of got mutated thus becoming SPGs.
    Their vocab is usually limited to 'oral' and 'anal'.
    You had a pretty good case, but your subsequent comments made you not much more better then "Greg".
    First of all, this thread that you started, and again led by you, turned into bashing of Singaporean or Asian speaking English with an English/American/Canadian/Australian accent. What's wrong with an accent? IT's just alsight variation how we pronounce certain words, and what's wrong with slangs, it's just different ways to say the same thing.

To many English speakers, Singlish is just another slang.Well, you can bash them here, but when you speak Singlish overseas, and get discriminated against, please don't come back and cry.

Now, the coup de grace, your comments on certain group of females in Singapore, just exposed you as a thickheaded, dense, small minded and arrogant moron. Your subsequent comments, no difference than Greg's generalization and bigotry.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by peppercrab1
    * Then he directed at us Singaporeans *
    - You people depend on us foreign-talents to develop your country. Without us, you all would still be fisher-men!
    You should answer him this way : "Yeah true to a certain extend we needed some foreign-talents here & there but sad to say your presence here does not make a difference at all "

Whatever it is, don't take crap from visitors coming to your country and criticising it. Stand up for your country and trounce him. If he is bigger than you, get ready a pair of nike's when you splash his face with a beverage preferably one which will require industrial detergent to remove or one which leaves a sticky residue. Then. RUN LIKE THE WIND.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet
    To many English speakers, Singlish is just another slang.Well, you can bash them here, but when you speak Singlish overseas, and get discriminated against, please don't come back and cry.
    oops, i managed to touch on someone's raw nerves. ya, i guess we have deviated from the original topic. anyway, speaking good english does not mean you have to speak with a fake or forced accent. Hmmm, when I was working abroad, dont recall getting any discriminating comments or being discriminated becos of the way I speak. Of cos, I did not not speak Singlish when I was there.....In fact, I spiak proper & powderful Engrish without any hint of a brit/yank accent. You dont have to fake an accent just to be accepted by them; just be your natural self will do.

You can speak with a slang or an accent, I dont give a damn cos its yr life.
    But deep down, I guess people will know such accents are fake and that the person is just putting on airs, artificial and attempting to be different or 1-up compared to the rest.

As for SPGs, I'm not going to venture any deeper. The term 'SPG' did not come out of the blue.....

Quote Originally Posted by sammy888
    Watch Channel 5, BBC, CNN and boycott channel 8 and the likes of it ...hehehehe
    better still....quit yr job....go study in overseas uni. for 2-4 yrs. come back yr engrish sure improved wan; somemore got slang, somemore can call yrself banana, then can find job in mediacorp, then go pubbing speak slang, fwah, the chio-bus sure flock to you....kill many birds with 1 stone.

Quote Originally Posted by gundugundu
    You should answer him this way : "Yeah true to a certain extend we needed some foreign-talents here & there but sad to say your presence here does not make a difference at all "
    Please lah we all know that our country is run by the gahman lah. We choose them through voting, they let these "foreign talent" work in Singapore. So indirectly we are the one who allow them to work here. Please also remind him to file their taxes every year in April.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12