there were 7 of us at Paulaner Brahaus (?) last nite enjoying the in-house brewed beer and Oktoberfest band from Munich.
Next to me were a Belgian, a Romanian, Malaysian, English, Singaporeans and this guy from HKG (friend of 1 of the locals). Apart from me being an ikan-bilis, these chaps were SVPs/MDs working in MNCs. All in their 40-50s.
This guy from HKG (he called himself Greg - a very 'ang-mo' name). Anyway, he was late and he introduced himself as " Greg, I'm a British/Canadian." As if we care.....
One of us asked him why he intro himself this way and asked him where he was born.
He evaded that question. We started to probe him as he still had that typical Hong Kong accent and we wanted some fun. Oh yes, he's working as a Chief Credit Officer in a foreign bank.
His responses as follow:
- do you know that I'm a banana?
- do you know what a banana is?
- you see, I'm yellow on the outside but white inside.....
* oh ya, big deal *
We asked again: C'mon tell us, where were you born?
He said rather sheepishly:
- I was borned in HKG but to tell you the truth, I was borned in the WRONG country!
* man, this guy has a complex or what?*
Anyway, he started to be offensive and changed topic:
- actually, I have been working in Singapore for many years and I was even given a PR but to ask me to be a S'pore citizen; no way! I dont want to give up my British/Canadian citizenship.
* Then he directed at us Singaporeans *
- You people depend on us foreign-talents to develop your country. Without us, you all would still be fisher-men!
Wa lau, at this stage, I nearly wanted to punch his face .....damn jerk, work here and then insult us in the face!
If not for the non-violent streak in me, Hong Kong would have 1 less ungrateful son.
The rest of the locals were just too shocked to respond
Up till this morning, I'm still fuming over his remarks.
He's one ugly human being; not just a Hong Konger!